U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM

17,016 posts, read 14,520,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
A lot of people call second showers "sprinkles," which is sort of cute. The gifts tend to be a lot smaller - clothing, diapers, onesies, baby wash, mabye new blankets, etc. Stuff that you could always use more of in new condition.

I also don't have a problem with a big shower for couples if one of the two hasn't been married before. They shouldn't miss out on big celebrations just because their intended has already been married. But I guess that's another topic. LOL
I've also heard a "sprinkle" is only a small group of close friends or family (who might give a gift anyway). There are ways to celebrate without people feeling obligated to bring gifts. Isn't the wedding reception the "big celebration" of the marriage? If a celebration is what the person wants, they can have a party without calling it a "shower."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,917,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I've also heard a "sprinkle" is only a small group of close friends or family (who might give a gift anyway). There are ways to celebrate without people feeling obligated to bring gifts. Isn't the wedding reception the "big celebration" of the marriage? If a celebration is what the person wants, they can have a party without calling it a "shower."

Well said. I would have no problem attending celebrations for every child if I wasn't REQUIRED to bring a gift; a certain gift that I was TOLD to bring; and of a certain amount no less.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 PM

5,244 posts, read 3,120,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Heck, one of my riend's had a 10 and 15 y/o and made it clear she didn't want a shower for her 3rd on its way. Her parents had one anyways and my friend was embarrassed, even though her other kids were older.

And this was only family and close friends.
When I was pregnant w/my second same gender child, no baby shower was thrown at work. People said "congrats or way to go", and that was that. PLUS, I didn't expect it to go any further. So, I will have to agree that it is tacky. I presume from these postings that you are just venting. What are your options?
1) keep venting here and internalize at work
2)bring it up at work-- you'll be put on the spot or be looked upon as a "buzz kill" even though, I agree w/your frustration.
3) keep venting here and internalize at work, and pay what you can afford even if it is only $5 so your name will go on the card
4) You could talk to the "hostess" privately and tell her "a few of you" are thinking these 2nd baby showers are a bit much and suggest she do these showers outside of the office.

The only way I got a 2nd shower was through a playgroup I was involved in w/my oldest child. It was very small, cake, a few gifts, and at least we had photos for my 2nd child's baby book. We don't have family near us so I thought that was very thoughtful of them. Nonetheless, I did not think any less of my co-workers; they did send me flowers upon the birth.

Try and have a splendid day at the office....

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM

14,561 posts, read 8,951,153 times
Quote:
I would never expect a gift for a second wedding. I also don't ask for gifts for my birthday. If someone buys me one, fine. But I don't expect my friends to take up a collection for me every year.
Sounds like this woman doesn't either. Her friend is doing this for her.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
So should there be showers for every marriage a person might have? After all, that's supposed to be a happy time.

Sorry, but I am not being negative. I've grown up knowing baby showers for first children only.
Even if it's not your thing, who cares? Why begrudge others something nice and fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

She knew about the shower....................

17,016 posts, read 14,520,609 times
Quote:
maybe. but the friend probably offered and the mom could have said no thanks.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Even if it's not your thing, who cares? Why begrudge others something nice and fun?
I'm not begrudging their fun. They can have it. Just don't look at me like I have 3 heads when I choose not to participate. I am struggling financially myself, even $5 is a lot of money for me.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
She knew about the shower....................
Ok....................

Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 PM

THEREWEGO - thank you. Actually many of us (MANY) of us have expressed how we feel to the hostess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting