Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your childs school have corporal punishment
Yes 3 10.34%
No 26 89.66%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times

Advertisements

I am not of the mind that corporal punishment is abuse. I think that argument winds up being a distraction from the REAL issue. In my opinion, the entire social conversation around discipline is ill formed. It is not about the dicotomy between permissive and strict. It is about being *effective* at teaching really important life lessons. I suppose some folks are going think getting the kids to behave is good enough.

The problem that I have with pavlovian based reward/punishment systems (whether it involves hitting or not) is the unintended lessons. Punishment often winds up yielding an attitude of doing right only when someone is looking. Rewards tend to foster a what's in it for me attitude rather than actual character and integrity.

I urge anyone interested in this subject to take a read

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_51?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=discipline+for+life.+getting+it+right+wit h+children&x=0&y=0&sprefix=discipline+for+life.+ge tting+it+right+with+children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 990 times
Default No Place in Public Schools. Period!

I'm 56 years old, yet to this day I vividly remember the day in third grade when the principal stormed out of his office and threatened to "paddle a few behinds" because we were talking in the hallway! For those of you who are in favor of this, can you logically explain why it is morally acceptable for a non-family adult to inflict physical pain on somebody else's child? Especially when the parents don't use this method of discipline and are vehemently opposed to it? If corporal punishment is so barbaric that we as a civilized society won't allow the state to use it on adults for even the most violent crimes; why would we permit the public school, which is an arm of the state, to use it on our children, without our permission, by total strangers? And for the most minor, petty, trivial infractons? Why would any sane, rational parent permit such a thing? What part of all of this am I missing?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
The option was at my elem. school but my mom wouldn't allow it, even though she was a spanker.
If it is still around when I have kids, I will opt out because I am strongly anti-spanking.
I do not believe causing pain should be a behavior correcter.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Way back when I was in school my parents made it very clear to me that the school had permission to spank me if I caused any trouble. Needless-to-say, I never once got into trouble in school. I think it's interesting how people (in general) talk about how we *used* to be able to do cp but that now we shouldn't because we "know better"; yet kids today seem to have the entitlement mentality worse than ever.
I agree.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:02 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I will admit to being shocked that corporal punishment is still a possibility in certain states and school districts, I had no idea. Having grown up in an environment where corporal punishment was common, and even abused and unfairly applied, I think this is apalling.
This.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 AM

I don't know why we have to hit someone to let them know they have done wrong?
And why the ass? I mean you crap from that that, I wouldn't want to spank a small child, lord knows they hardly wipe thoroughly, can you say pink eye?

If you spank it should stop as soon as a girl starts her period, or don't spank during that week.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
we have done a great job of getting rid of punishment for children. we are doing an olympic job of locking them up in jail when they hit 18. largest prison population on earth.
imho i think our grandparents did it right and we have put the car in the ditch.
we wont punish our kids so we have the rapists in the jails do it for us.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I don't know. I grew up in the deep South and there was Corporal punishment in the school. It was overused in my opinion. Make a mistake on your homework? Take a lick. Late to class? Take a lick.

There was still no lack of fighting, drugs, alcohol, and teen pregnancy.

So ~ NO, I would not be for a stranger hitting my child.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we have done a great job of getting rid of punishment for children. we are doing an olympic job of locking them up in jail when they hit 18. largest prison population on earth.
imho i think our grandparents did it right and we have put the car in the ditch.
we wont punish our kids so we have the rapists in the jails do it for us.
You don't spank adults though.

GTA - lets go to prison
Don't pay your bills - crap gets shut off.
Speeding - you get a ticket.

Last time I got caught speeding, I was fined not spanked, so why would you spank a child for doing something wrong if that's not how punishment works in the real world?

Act like b*tch, be someone's b*tch. You don't wanna to be someones cuddle bunny in jail don't be a tard and get put in jail in the first place.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't know. I grew up in the deep South and there was Corporal punishment in the school. It was overused in my opinion. Make a mistake on your homework? Take a lick. Late to class? Take a lick.

There was still no lack of fighting, drugs, alcohol, and teen pregnancy.

So ~ NO, I would not be for a stranger hitting my child.
Exactly.
The south has super high pregnancy rates.
And crime rates.
No one fears getting in trouble because "corporal punishment" is the main choice, its like the ghetto thug teens aren't afraid to get whipped because they take harder knocks out on the street.

Put their little punk asses in jail and see how they like that.
Spanking is quick and over with in a matter of minutes, jail last months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting