U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,451,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Good post, beachmel!

It IS weird....they hang out (as a family I suppose) at the local high school games, volleyball, basketball, football, etc. Yet their kids are in grammar school.

I can remember back to hs, and if a 7 year old was hanging around we'd be like, "who's this kid?"
Okay, so they're great supporters of the high school sports...which is a good thing. However....and again, a bit antiquated I suppose, but you sat your butt down and watched the games if you were a little kid. Little kids weren't running around socializing with HS kids. Parents kept their children WITH them. Sounds like dad's got a few problems realizing how young his little girl is!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM

8,012 posts, read 4,061,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
The modern thing is to make sure the kid is medicated.

Don't you just love that word.
I'll say it again.
Medicated.

So much for maybe a 7yo has a 7 minute concentration span anyway.
Perhaps the kid should be able to get up and run off some of that energy every so often.

I am sure that if I were at school now that I would end up being diagnosed and medicated. When I was at school we were told to run round at play time and sit quietly in class. Now they sit through play time and are drugged up in class.
Unless you happen to be the parent of one of those kids who really DOES benefit from medication due to the very real, though over hyped, situation known as ADHD. Maybe we could bring back hunter gatherer societies where their single minded ability to hyper focus was an asset. Replace teachers with gazelles to chase. Something.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 PM

9,583 posts, read 4,776,309 times
Ye gads - popular with the high school crowd at 7? And her father is concerned about maintaining her popularity?

Sounds a mite immature.

Have I mentioned my cousin? She was very concerned that her daugher wear the right clothes and hang out with the popular girls.

She's in middle school, sneaking alcohol and telling her Mother to F** off.

And Mom is STILL worried about how she ranks in her small-town popularity contest.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 PM

1,484 posts, read 957,286 times
I'd have to wonder if the dad is simply bragging about something that's not even true, starting with the comment about how his kid is such a genius. Some people get carried away with bragging, til they start bragging about things that don't even make sense. What high school aged kids would want anything to do with a 7 year old unless they were getting paid for babysitting her?

I also find it typical that any negative behavior from his perfect angel is explained away by ADHD. I understand that this is a real illness that children do suffer from, but I also think a lot of times parents WANT their kid to be labeled ADHD rather than just badly behaved, non-disciplined, and poorly brought up.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,451,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I'd have to wonder if the dad is simply bragging about something that's not even true, starting with the comment about how his kid is such a genius. Some people get carried away with bragging, til they start bragging about things that don't even make sense. What high school aged kids would want anything to do with a 7 year old unless they were getting paid for babysitting her?

I also find it typical that any negative behavior from his perfect angel is explained away by ADHD. I understand that this is a real illness that children do suffer from, but I also think a lot of times parents WANT their kid to be labeled ADHD rather than just badly behaved, non-disciplined, and poorly brought up.
Oh how right you are Anna! I can't rep you again yet, but...

Old 08-13-2011, 08:39 AM

18,868 posts, read 16,018,212 times
Popular? A 7 year old? With high school kids? Now, that is strange!

I would have just said, "OMG, LOOK at the TIME!" See ya.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:46 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,071,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I wouldn't care why her dad is worried about his daughters popularity...but I do find it disappointing and disconcerting that so many people are willing to drug their children just because some stranger says they should.
Yeah, that's it. That's the only reason. In fact, I'll betcha that if Pat Sajak said to do it, they'd drug 'em twice.

Someone please catch my eyeballs before they roll out the door altogether.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,875,620 times
I would be REALLY concerned if my 7 year old was "popular" with high school kids...

Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
The modern thing is to make sure the kid is medicated.

Don't you just love that word.
I'll say it again.
Medicated.

So much for maybe a 7yo has a 7 minute concentration span anyway.
Perhaps the kid should be able to get up and run off some of that energy every so often.

I am sure that if I were at school now that I would end up being diagnosed and medicated. When I was at school we were told to run round at play time and sit quietly in class. Now they sit through play time and are drugged up in class.
Could be.

Or maybe the child can hyperfocus on TV, which pretty much doesn't require much of an attention span because of the flashing lights and change of action every ninety seconds or so. But she cannot follow two part directions despite being significantly older than when most kids hit that milestone (a typical problem with kids with ADHD), or complete a ten minute homework project in under 45 minutes, and still needs to be talked through every step of getting herself dressed in the morning (which three year olds are generally able to do) because otherwise she's likely to start digging in her backpack because she forgot to get out her lunchbox and "hey, cool, Mom, did you see this pencil Clary gave oh, look at the cat he's so funny OMG the chickens next door are so LOUD what's Donald watching on TV can I watch while I eat you're not looking at the cat Mom hey yesterday was sharing and I forgot my is that the bus???"

Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Popular? A 7 year old? With high school kids? Now, that is strange!
Could be her babysitters have said she's a cool little kid and Dad's heavily extrapolating. Or maybe she's on a cheer squad or swim team and there are older kids who think she's cute, in that head-patting sort of way, and Dad and Mom are overvaluing an offhand comment. If they have one "good kid" and this seven year old, they may just be desperate to find that people have said positive things about her, and blow it up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting