U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM

83,536 posts, read 96,584,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not sure how it works where you live, but in my area, my tax dollars pay for the school. They're getting paid by me whether I have kids or not or they show up or not.
Just to throw a monkey wrench in here, in many states, the state aid is figured on daily attendance. That is why some schools close at the drop of a flake; so many parents keep their kids out, that it cuts into their funding.

ETA: I see someone else just posted similar. Oh, well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 AM

24,149 posts, read 27,944,133 times
Quote:
I just feel that there should be no resistance from the school unless they have an extremely compelling reason for it. Hence, why I would raise "holy hell" if they chose to deny my request or fight me on it. Call it a healthy dose of contempt for academia, but my decision as a parent as to what's best for my child should be respected and accomodated.

While I think you have merit on the academic side with the kids, I don't think they will miss anything in the second week that will cause them to fall seriously behind in their studies. In fact, the only way they would fall seriously behind is if the school chose not to accomodate the request and penalized the kids for the absence.

Essentially the school has two choices if I as a parent decide to do this. Work with me in the best interests of the kids, or punish the kids for my decision. It's a very weak position for them to want to punish my children for a decision that I made.
there are laws that kids have to be in school. I had to sign something this year stating that I'd comply, and make sure my kids were in school. Yes, it is a parenting decision, but it is the school's job to make sure the law is followed and the kids are there. Otherwise, you could just say that the parents who are too lazy or too hung over to get their kids to school are just parenting as they see fit. I do think in this one case, it would be ok to take the trip, but not on a regular basis any old time the parents feel like vacationing.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 AM

83,536 posts, read 96,584,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
^ every year is kind of excessive IMO. My parents never took me out of school one single time growing up. It creates extra work for whoever has to get the work together to send home, and the school doesn't get the money for your kids when they aren't there. I think the OP's once in a childhood type Disney trip is ok, but not every year. I'd probably give you a "look" too.
Mine took us out once, for an afternoon, to attend a baseball game when the Pittsburgh Pirates were getting close to winning the National League pennant for the first time in 30-odd years. (Baseball was played in the aftenoons then, for the most part.) Oh, and we did go to our grandmother's funeral.

I only took my kids out for my dad's funeral. My mom conveniently had hers during spring break. I do acknowledge that everyone's situation is different.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 AM

32,538 posts, read 28,570,131 times
Go! A chance for the family to have a great time together for a week? Building memories for a lifetime? Disney World on the cheap? When do we leave, lol?

If you need to ease your conscience there are a some books I'd recommend: One being the "Imagineering Field Guides" which explain how the rides and attractions were developed and built. Just for fun I'd also get the book "Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Disney World's Best Kept Secrets". Disney can be much more than rides and corn dogs. Trust me on that one.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,226,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't know how it is here, but growing up, with 2 teacher parents (in a different state than I'm in now), the amount of tax money the school got was based on daily attendance. That's what I was told, at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just to throw a monkey wrench in here, in many states, the state aid is figured on daily attendance.
That is my belief as well. Teachers and other staff are paid on salary, so that's fixed, but the amount of money received from the state is based on daily attendance. That's why schools push so hard for excused absences only--they don't get paid for unexcused absences.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM

43,012 posts, read 87,113,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why wouldn't you be able to visit Disney at some other time that does not interfere with school?
Because it's significantly more expensive when school is out. We always planned our vacations for during the school year. Our preferred time was the week before Memorial Day but sometimes we would go other times, like September, February, etc. To give you an idea of the savings, a house on the beach would go for $350/week the week before Memorial Day. The very next week, the same house was almost $2,000/week. For travel, "off season" is always cheaper. And almost anywhere in the world off season is often when school is in session.

We only did Disney once---the land and sea version where we spent a four days at the park and five days sailing to the Bahamas. Our children have had many wonderful childhood family memories of vacations throughout the United States and in foreign countries. We couldn't have afforded for them to have these important experiences if we vacationed during school breaks.

If I could do it all over again, my children wouldn't have attended school at all. The biggest mistake I ever made was putting my children into the school system.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:56 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,413,215 times
Well there is always homeschooling.
It is an alternative.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 AM

14,764 posts, read 33,695,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That is my belief as well. Teachers and other staff are paid on salary, so that's fixed, but the amount of money received from the state is based on daily attendance. That's why schools push so hard for excused absences only--they don't get paid for unexcused absences.
Thank you all for responding to that. In NJ, state aid is figured on a per pupil basis and is counted by total enrollment, not days attended. Even then the vast majority of our school funding comes from local property taxes. We are a VERY strong "home rule" state and I sometimes forget that many other places don't work that way and parents have much less leverage over what goes on.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 AM

1,173 posts, read 3,886,370 times
Quote:
I just feel that there should be no resistance from the school unless they have an extremely compelling reason for it. Hence, why I would raise "holy hell" if they chose to deny my request or fight me on it. Call it a healthy dose of contempt for academia, but my decision as a parent as to what's best for my child should be respected and accomodated.

While I think you have merit on the academic side with the kids, I don't think they will miss anything in the second week that will cause them to fall seriously behind in their studies. In fact, the only way they would fall seriously behind is if the school chose not to accomodate the request and penalized the kids for the absence.

Essentially the school has two choices if I as a parent decide to do this. Work with me in the best interests of the kids, or punish the kids for my decision. It's a very weak position for them to want to punish my children for a decision that I made.
An extremely compelling reason could be any number of things; maybe her kids routinely miss a lot of school days already (in previous grades), maybe the principal knows that an important and complex concept will be introduced that week, maybe her kids almost failed last year and could use the start of the year refresher, maybe the last time her kids handed in an assignment on time was kindgarden and she doesn't feel it worth the teachers time to put together all the take home work for a kid who won't hand it in on time or at all, maybe one or both of her kids struggle in school and the school doesn't want them to fall behind. And maybe they used to allow this and had someone abuse it so no there is a strict policy in place to NOT allow this kind of stuff.

At the end of the day OP will do what she wants school policy or not, the school can have rules and if she feels like breaking them she won't go to jail or anything.

But if the school is uncooperative it's probably because they are keeping her child’s best interest in mind. Most people who work in schools are not heartless idiots that just want your kids to miss all the fun things in life, I'm sure they'll be able to see the value in a once in a lifetime trip to Disney as a family. But if you are being discouraged from doing something by a reasonable principal or teacher who is aware of your child’s learning history maybe you should listen instead of being quick to "stick it to the man".

In any case OP hasn't asked yet, she's nervous to. Maybe the principal will say yes

Also, OP I just want to clarify so you don't get offended. I don't know your children and I am not saying they are bad students or that any/all of these things are the case with your children, they are just things I think the principal will take into account when making a decision.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 AM

43,012 posts, read 87,113,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Well there is always homeschooling.
It is an alternative.
I'm very aware. I said "if I could do it all over again."

My children are young adults. When I look back, I realize there were very few benefits to traditional education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or