U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM

24,398 posts, read 28,476,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
One of the school districts near here could not make up its mind for the 2011-12 schedule. It 'Approved' it in March, then in June, It changed it to start school 5 day earlier then the 1st 'approved' schedule. Alot of parents at that point had commited to vacations, summer camps, etc based on the 1st approved schedule. I think that would fall under un-avoidable vacations.
That happened here a couple years ago. They decided rather late in the game to switch from tracks to traditional. There were vacations planned for off-track times, that now fell during school. I think that's a good excuse. Doing it once, is different than doing it on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,068,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
You're right. No child who has missed school or gone to Disneyland has graduated from college, or gotten jobs. Dang.
Working at Disneyland helped PAY for my college education.

I grew up just a few miles from the park. On more than one occasion we were bussed to Disneyland for various ride openings. We were told how they were developed. Given the "stay in school and learn" speech. We were told by Walt himself his plans for Disney World. Which was one big lecture on urban planning, lol.

That early "indoctrination" sparked a love for Disneyland that carried me through adulthood. And, years later, got me a very good job at the park. Disney, in various forms, has paid a lot of bills in my family, lol.

A trip to Disney World can be the trip of a lifetime. Maybe one of the kids will get the spark of enthusiasm to be an Imagineer. I worked with those guys. They are the best of the best. I know I'm tremenously prejudiced but there are much worse things than spending a week together as a family. Bonding. Enjoying each other. Watching and feeling hydrolics at work. Experiencing inter-active 3-D. Learing our nation's history on Main Street. Studying transportation systems. And having a great time doing it.

You do not have to sit in a classroom to learn.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM

14,776 posts, read 34,223,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I wonder what an "unavoidable family vacation" is unless it is for a death or illness in the family, I would think all vacations are avoidable.
While most are certainly "avoidable" I can think of a few instances when they might not be. Let's say one of the parents is in the military and the only time they can take a vacation just happens to be during the school year. Similarly there are jobs out there, where people are required to work certain seasons and not take a vacation where the only opportunity might be during the school year. I think it is just a way, as Hopes said, for them to allow it without condoning it.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,277,497 times
At the kid's ages, I would not do it. They will suffer for it. I don't think it is in their best interest. I could give a rip about the school . . .for me, it is all about the kids and they are the ones who will pay.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM

84,654 posts, read 98,111,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That is my belief as well. Teachers and other staff are paid on salary, so that's fixed, but the amount of money received from the state is based on daily attendance. That's why schools push so hard for excused absences only--they don't get paid for unexcused absences.
In Illinois, at least when I lived there, keeping your kid home b/c of snow cut into the state aid for that day. It was better to cancel school. Here in CO, the kids don't get many snow days, so I'm not so sure.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 AM

24,398 posts, read 28,476,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
At the kid's ages, I would not do it. They will suffer for it. I don't think it is in their best interest. I could give a rip about the school . . .for me, it is all about the kids and they are the ones who will pay.
how will they "pay" and "suffer"?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,109,397 times
I would go on the vacation. I think that the time spent together as a family doing something as fun as going to Disney outweighs the importance of missing one week of school.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 AM

8,971 posts, read 15,935,419 times
Georgia Military Excuse Policy:

visiting a parent or legal guardian who is in the military service in the armed forces and has been called to duty or is on leave from overseas deployment to a combat zone or combat support post. The student may be excused for a maximum of 5 days per school year.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,921,227 times
My daughter was waitlisted for the year-round school. We only found out the week before school started that she got in. We had a vacation already planned and paid for for the 3rd week of school. I told them that we had planned it because it didn't look like she was going to get in, and we would have planned it for another time if we had known. They said to go on the vacation and it was fine, but that it would still count as an unexcused absence. I even tried to write up a little curriculum with all the ways we could make it educational, but they denied that, so it was just unexcused. The teacher did give us work to take with us.

The penalties here are
3 unexcused absences: letter home
6 unexcused absences: letter home
10 unexcused absences: they send a social worker

Anyway, I'd go and just take the unexcused absences.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,277,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
how will they "pay" and "suffer"?
First of all, unexcused absences are nothing to downplay . . . they can result in actual grade lowering, right off the bat . . .six unexcused absences could actually flunk a student in some classes . . . they might never be able to make it up.

Secondly, the first few weeks of school are important. They are going to miss out on an important time where the classes are set up and expectations are set . . .

Then there is the missing class and homework. Do you realize how hard it might be to catch up in SEVERAL CLASSES (for the 7th grader) while doing the current classwork? That in itself could be a nightmare.

And what about acclimating to middle school or whatever? The first of the year is a time when students bond . . .your kids will miss all of that because you want to go to Disneyland or Disneyworld . . .

It seems like a no-brainer to me - be an adult and do the right thing for your kids - give them the tools to succeed in what is a very miserable, but necessary experience: School . . . (or as an alternative, take them out of school all-together and home school them and then you can justify the trip).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or