U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 AM

21,111 posts, read 22,002,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
how will they "pay" and "suffer"?
It will go on their "permanent record"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
First of all, unexcused absences are nothing to downplay . . . they can result in actual grade lowering, right off the bat . . .six unexcused absences could actually flunk a student in some classes . . . they might never be able to make it up.

Secondly, the first few weeks of school are important. They are going to miss out on an important time where the classes are set up and expectations are set . . .

Then there is the missing class and homework. Do you realize how hard it might be to catch up in SEVERAL CLASSES (for the 7th grader) while doing the current classwork? That in itself could be a nightmare.

And what about acclimating to middle school or whatever? The first of the year is a time when students bond . . .your kids will miss all of that because you want to go to Disneyland or Disneyworld . . .

It seems like a no-brainer to me - be an adult and do the right thing for your kids - give them the tools to succeed in what is a very miserable, but necessary experience: School . . . (or as an alternative, take them out of school all-together and home school them and then you can justify the trip).
I'd think that having that attitude toward school is MUCH more harmful in the longrun than going on a family vacation and missing a week of school.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 AM

424 posts, read 632,209 times
If this will be a once-in-a-lifetime type of trip, I would strongly consider it. I do think you really need to talk to your kids' teachers, though, especially your 7th-graders. In middle school, there really aren't "weeks" or review and they might just start chugging right along. If your kid is the type who can keep up and doesn't mind doing possible a lot of homework on vacation, then go for!

I think I will probably be more rigid on pulling my kids out of school for "normal" vacations. Someone mentioned this beach above. I couldn't in good conscience pull my son out of school to go to the beach, even though prices plummet after Labor Day. When we decided to have kids, we realized that our dirt cheap off-season trips would be over when our DS turns 5. LOL

Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM

3,945 posts, read 3,010,909 times
They're 7 and 5. What do you think they'll be missing? I'd take them out in a heartbeat!

ETA: Whoops, I misunderstood. Grades 7 and 5. Either way, I'd take them out. A family vacation trumps a week of school, especially in the beginning of the year when it's probably all review anyway.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM

353 posts, read 765,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
First of all, unexcused absences are nothing to downplay . . . they can result in actual grade lowering, right off the bat . . .six unexcused absences could actually flunk a student in some classes . . . they might never be able to make it up.

Secondly, the first few weeks of school are important. They are going to miss out on an important time where the classes are set up and expectations are set . . .

Then there is the missing class and homework. Do you realize how hard it might be to catch up in SEVERAL CLASSES (for the 7th grader) while doing the current classwork? That in itself could be a nightmare.

And what about acclimating to middle school or whatever? The first of the year is a time when students bond . . .your kids will miss all of that because you want to go to Disneyland or Disneyworld . . .

It seems like a no-brainer to me - be an adult and do the right thing for your kids - give them the tools to succeed in what is a very miserable, but necessary experience: School . . . (or as an alternative, take them out of school all-together and home school them and then you can justify the trip).
It sounds like you need a vacation.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
They're 7 and 5. What do you think they'll be missing? I'd take them out in a heartbeat!
No. GRADES 7 and 5. So ages 10 and 12, I think? I do think it makes a difference. If we were talking about lower grades, I woudn't hesitate at all. But in the older grades, things just move a lot faster.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 AM

14,776 posts, read 34,318,461 times
Quote:

What if grandmom died and she lived in another state, necessitating the entire family travel there to make the arrangements and settle the estate? The cause is different, but the EFFECT is the same. You wouldn't be arguing the same points if this was about grandma and not about Disney.

Quote:

It is actually teaching them to be an adult. Yes, you need to take care of your responsibilities, but there are some things in life that are more important than the daily grind of "responsibility". The opportunity to take a family vacation and enjoy time together, time that is finite, is more important than missing a little bit of "responsibility".

Maybe the importance of this lesson will settle in when the kids are grown and have kids of their own. The day they are sitting in their office staring at pictures of their kids and realize that they are missing out on so much because they are too obsessed with work to realize what really matters. At that moment maybe they'll remember when their parents said, eff it, let's go to Disney, when are we going to have another chance to do this?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 AM

613 posts, read 803,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Well actually, they are in 7th grade and 5th grade. Judging from prior experience with my older one while in 5th, I'm not worried about the 5th grader.

Missing classes for the 7th grader will admittedly be tougher...

Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
It is actually teaching them to be an adult. Yes, you need to take care of your responsibilities, but there are some things in life that are more important than the daily grind of "responsibility". The opportunity to take a family vacation and enjoy time together, time that is finite, is more important than missing a little bit of "responsibility".

Maybe the importance of this lesson will settle in when the kids are grown and have kids of their own. The day they are sitting in their office staring at pictures of their kids and realize that they are missing out on so much because they are too obsessed with work to realize what really matters. At that moment maybe they'll remember when their parents said, eff it, let's go to Disney, when are we going to have another chance to do this?
Yep. My answer would be different if this was a habit....but if a great opportunity arose? I'd go for it.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Missing classes for the 7th grader will admittedly be tougher...
Does he/she struggle in school? Honestly, I would love to be all care-free and tell you to "Go! Go!" But you know your child better than we do. This was debated on another board I'm on and some teachers said that while the majority of the kids are fine, a few really do get lost and behind and it takes weeks for them to catch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or