U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 AM

2,064 posts, read 2,026,554 times
I've seen two videos lately that come to mind after reviewing this thread, one about a teenager coming out to his parents and another about isolation and feeling unloved because you're gay but how places like BYU now support their gay student population and are trying to make it better.

Both are powerful and might be helpful in helping parents like the OP's come to terms with their issues and how they relate to their son.

Actually, doesn't really matter who you are, everyone should take some time and view them. Powerful stuff.

I'm Christian, unless you're gay.

It Gets Better at Brigham Young University - YouTube
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM

5,178 posts, read 2,446,372 times
Sorry about the bad turn out but you had to tell them.

You will find a loving relationship one day, it will replace the love you are not getting from your parents. My daughter is gay, it's getting easier for her but still difficult in some areas. I never cared, but like others let all my kids know early I wouldn't care at all.

All you can do now is hang around supportive people, enjoy their embrace and let it go. Obviously, reading through here, you can see that the majority of people are fine with it. Some will still grasp to the religious propaganda. They aren't yet free themselves. You will find the older you get that their will be a lot of things old people can't wrap their heads around. Old dogs, new tricks, lol. Not!

Imagine how hard it would be to still be as limited in thought as your parents. It will only hurt them. Accept them as they are, say a prayer or kind thought for them and move on through it. Heterosexual kids have to move on as well. Parents aren't good partners after you're grown. You will make your own family who accepts you now, everyone moves on.
Even in a good relationship, parents roles are over at your age. It's the parents choice at this time to sit back and enjoy you as an adult or not. It's their loss.

You can always adopt a partners parents for support. It doesn't have to be yours you get acceptance from. It's ok to just feel sorry for their closed mind, it's their torture, don't take it on yourself. Being gay isn't a sin or a crime against anyone, you are normal. They are the ones who need counseling, not you. Keep that in mind.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting