Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

I use FB ALL THE TIME. I've never had an issue with it. The people who have issues with it would have issues in their lives if they lived in the 1800s. Drama is as drama does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 10:54 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I'd like to know how this story came to the media's attention. I'd find it much less appealing if there is evidence that she deliberately used these children, no matter how awful their behavior, to garner publicity for her business.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Good for her, and I agree..

People think it is all fun and games on FB, but in reality a lot of people do things that maybe someone somewhere will remember and it will come to kick you in the ass at one time.

What is it with everyone these day's having to post every single solid thing they do...............doesn't interest me in the least.
I agree. Words are powerful, let me add that...

Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 AM

144 posts, read 306,951 times
I have a daughter due in 5 weeks, and although I probably have 10 years before I have to worry, I am dredding the day she asks if she can have a FB account.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:01 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Maybe not. My teenager has absolutely no interest in social media. It's actually a bit bizarre.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Or it can be used to post ridiculousness, or to spread vitriol. The medium isn't so much the problem as the message-sender.
The former is what the majority of content there is - "I had tuna for lunch and it was good", "I'm stuck in traffic", and "I Love Youooooooooooooooo!!"

Everyone thinks this is their 15 minutes of fame. The fact is no one is really interested in your lunch, pictures of your dog/cat/child, or self-portraits taken while holding a cell phone. News flash to FB users: Your life is boring and being online doesn't change that! No one cares! Get a life!

Then there are the stupid posters, as cited in the story, who have to post their less admirable qualities and misadventures, and show the world what a real scum-bag they are.

Again, FB is a cesspool. I don't need nor want my ex-wife to know about my life, promotion, child, vacations, new car, or what movie I saw last night. That's what phones and email are for - to keep in touch with those I want to or need to.

FB = www.stalker [dot] com

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 08-24-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
I have a daughter due in 5 weeks, and although I probably have 10 years before I have to worry, I am dredding the day she asks if she can have a FB account.
By the time she's old enough to have a facebook account, that'll be the least of your worries.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Everyone thinks this is their 15 minutes of fame. The fact is no one is really interested in your lunch, pictures of your dog/cat/child, or self-portraits taken while holding a cell phone. News flash to FB users: Your life is boring and being online doesn't change that! No one cares! Get a life!

Nah. I want to see photos of my granddaughters standing in line for the first day of school-- and I like seeing my friends' photos from the top of the ski lift (because I'm a flatlander) and from Lebanon and Argentina (because I haven't been there recently, and they have). I like knowing how my friend's daughter, who is an exchange student in the country she was adopted from fourteen years ago, is finding her experience.
If someone's boring or obnoxious, it's easy enough to block or defriend them. (Would that CD had that option.)

Looks like an ad to me.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Looks like an ad to me.
Just a bad interpretation by C-D. I fixed the original message...

Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The former is what the majority of content there is - "I had tuna for lunch and it was good", "I'm stuck in traffic", and "I Love Youooooooooooooooo!!"

Then there are the stupid posters, as cited in the story, who have to post their less admirable qualities and misadventures, and show the world what a real scum-bag they are.

Again, FB is a cesspool. I don't need nor want my ex-wife to know about my life, promotion, child, vacations, new car, or what movie I saw last night. That's what phones and email are for - to keep in touch with those I want to or need to.

FB = www.stalker [dot] com
I have a life. A very full and successful one at that. I use FB to keep in touch with those I want or need to.

I think you are speaking from a place of ignorance on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting