Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,604 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all again for the input. We had a long talk today and her two biggest issues were that she felt he was too little and ought to be gaining more, and that maybe he wasn't getting enough milk, and also that she has lived by the philosophy that you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. We talked about how he is within the normal range for weight and weight gain, and is just a longer, thinner baby than she is used to. We also talked about how you CAN'T overfeed a breastfed baby, but at her house he isn't breastfed, he is bottle fed. We are going to try out the Breastflow bottles from the Dr. Browns, and also discussed feeding times. She said it had been taking about 10 minutes for 3-5 ounces. I asked her to slow it down to 20 minutes. Tomorrow she agreed to try 12-14 ounces for 9 hours. We'll see......

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,355 times
Lol. Both my boys were on 8 oz bottles, cereal, fruit and veggies by 3 months. Never sick, happy boys. Every baby is different folks.

I agree if this baby is sick at night, it is a problem but not every book needs to be folowed.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
Thanks to all again for the input. We had a long talk today and her two biggest issues were that she felt he was too little and ought to be gaining more, and that maybe he wasn't getting enough milk, and also that she has lived by the philosophy that you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. We talked about how he is within the normal range for weight and weight gain, and is just a longer, thinner baby than she is used to. We also talked about how you CAN'T overfeed a breastfed baby, but at her house he isn't breastfed, he is bottle fed. We are going to try out the Breastflow bottles from the Dr. Browns, and also discussed feeding times. She said it had been taking about 10 minutes for 3-5 ounces. I asked her to slow it down to 20 minutes. Tomorrow she agreed to try 12-14 ounces for 9 hours. We'll see......

Thanks!
Exactly! I will offer that my experience with Dr. Browns was also that even on the slow-flow nipple, they were still quite fast. I tried several bottles to find the slowest flow, and we ended up using Evenflo. Also, keep in mind that the way a bottle works is that the way most people hold the bottle, the baby is forced to continue swallowing. Milk is in the mouth, the act of swallowing creates a vaccuum which pours more milk into the mouth, so baby must swallow again, repeat, repeat, until bottle is empty. If you hold the bottle more horizontal instead of vertical, this helps. Also, as I've said, put less into the bottle to start with. Here is an article with more on this:
The Babe’s Guide to Bottle Feeding | Best for Babes

Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,604 times
Thanks everyone!! Although I do not know any of you personally, I have appreciated each and every comment- even the ones I didn't agree with!! She read the handouts I left and today she fed him with the BreastFlow nipples, fed him at a 45, fed him over 20 minutes, and he ate only 12 ounces in 12 hours, was totally happy, and she apologized. Thank goodness! Sometimes it just takes different ways to reach someone! Yay!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone!! Although I do not know any of you personally, I have appreciated each and every comment- even the ones I didn't agree with!! She read the handouts I left and today she fed him with the BreastFlow nipples, fed him at a 45, fed him over 20 minutes, and he ate only 12 ounces in 12 hours, was totally happy, and she apologized. Thank goodness! Sometimes it just takes different ways to reach someone! Yay!
Good job, mom! Glad it all worked out!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
I'm so glad! It really is trail and error with different nipples. I'm glad it worked.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:27 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
Quote:
I'm so glad things are working out!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
Quote:
I'm so glad to hear this!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Could we speak about the "non nutritive sucking" comment? I raised 4 children and I never used a pacifier except while I was preparing a bottle to quiet the baby for a few minutes. They all stopped using it after only a month or so.
I do not agree that a baby needs to have that plastic thing stuck in their mouth all the time, because their mouth needs something in it. There is no natural reason for it.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Could we speak about the "non nutritive sucking" comment? I raised 4 children and I never used a pacifier except while I was preparing a bottle to quiet the baby for a few minutes. They all stopped using it after only a month or so.
I do not agree that a baby needs to have that plastic thing stuck in their mouth all the time, because their mouth needs something in it. There is no natural reason for it.
Nearly 100% percent of babies engage in non-nutritive sucking, whether it be on the breast, pacifier, thumb, fingers, blankets, or some babies even suck their own tongues. It's considered to be a form of self-soothing.

PACT: Oral Habits - Nonnutritive Sucking (http://www.aap.org/oralhealth/pact/ch8_sect1.cfm - broken link)

ETA: You may think your kids did not do this, but they more than likely did. Why do I say this? One of the most common issues facing older adopted children from specific orphanages, particularly in China where the tradition is/was to strap down the children's hands, is that they have very underdeveloped oral capabilities. Feeding difficulties, delayed speech, and later issues with disco-ordinated growth of teeth and jaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting