Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
First child: Attend all games & practices. Join club. Become team manager or assistant coach. Buy meat, Sell burgers on game days. Encourage other parents to help. Set up fields. Buy new cameras. Video every game and take lots of photos.
Second Child: Watch some games & some practices. Cook burgers when asked.
Third child: Watch the occasional game. Drop kid at practice and collect afterwards. Do not get out car. Wash Jerseys and supply half time oranges when rostered on and reminded by team manager.
Fourth child: It is not until halfway through the season that you are even aware that they are playing and still are not sure what sport it is. Watch one game per season. Hope their practice is on the same night as one of the other kids. Child gets lift home from practice and games. Buy a burger and talk enthusiastically to the parents who have only their first child in sport.
Corrollary (sp?)

Pre-school sports: Parent participates
Ele school club sports: Parent watches at practice
Middle school club: Parent watches practice at his/her own risk of embarassing child
High School sports: Parents useful for: fundraising, selling concessions, driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,020,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I coach youth baseball for 10-11 years olds and by that age very few of the parents stay. At the practice I had last week there were 9 kids there; one was my kid and one was the other coach's kid. Out of the 7 remaining kids only 1 had a parent who stayed.
Did this bother you?

My kids are 8 and 6 and one parent always stays at practice, and at least one parent goes to every game.

My husband coached a soccer team of 7 year olds and we were really surprised that a lot of the parents dropped off and left. It was completely different than baseball at the same age, where all of the parents stayed and most helped with practice.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Did this bother you?

My kids are 8 and 6 and one parent always stays at practice, and at least one parent goes to every game.

My husband coached a soccer team of 7 year olds and we were really surprised that a lot of the parents dropped off and left. It was completely different than baseball at the same age, where all of the parents stayed and most helped with practice.
A lot does depend on the culture of the team.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A lot does depend on the culture of the team.
Already at their young ages we've had some wonderful teams with great kids, and involved and helpful parents; and some really bad ones where no one volunteers to help, the parents all leave, and the kids misbehave. What a difference some parent involvement makes!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
talk with the other parents,
Ya right. If any parents are at practice they certainly aren't going to talk. They're usually completely absorbed on their smartphones reading facebook or some other useless website.

Here's a shot I took at my kid's soccer game (not practice). This woman was on facebook while her own daughter was in the game.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 PM

^maybe she was posting a picture of her daughter for all the world to see.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:44 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:
^maybe she was posting a picture of her daughter for all the world to see.

That is possible but I've seen her before on facebook. Besides, couldn't that wait until after the game? Things happen in soccer pretty fast - she could have easily missed her kid making a great play.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
Says the person so engrossed in someone's behavior he took her picture instead of watching the game.....

Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,897,025 times
The fact that you took a picture of her is somewhat troubling. Honestly, who cares?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,897,025 times
Quote:
Already at their young ages we've had some wonderful teams with great kids, and involved and helpful parents; and some really bad ones where no one volunteers to help, the parents all leave, and the kids misbehave. What a difference some parent involvement makes!
I guess I don't exactly understand the point of the parents being at pratice- if I wanted to be at every practice, wouldn't I have signed up to be the coach? (Which I have, numerous times for my kids but that's besides the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting