Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,915,783 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that you are blaming the person for MAKING YOU feel guilty. I say this because I have relatives who seem to think ever comment is a "guilt trip" and I never understood the dynamic until I saw the responses above saying "You are the only one who can make yourself feel guilty." Why blame other people for YOUR feelings?

And, yes, it is no one's business but your own. Case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,372,930 times
People make comments like this to us also. I usually say: "okay, I'll have another, only if you babysit for free." People will always stick their noses where they don't belong. They don't know your financial situation, they don't know about your physical health or relationship with your spouse, yet they always want to comment on they "think" is best for us and our child. Just brush it off with the joke or ignore it.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,649,471 times
Don't worry - everyone gets judged. If you choose to have no kids, you'll get comments, if you choose to have just one, you'll get comments, if you choose to have 6 or 8 you'll get comments.

Maybe right now everyone thinks 2 kids is the ideal - but it's really about how many you both want and can afford and can handle.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,650,691 times
Well, as other astutely pointed out, it bothers you because it bothers you. There is at least a part of you that is most likely not satisfied with the situation and only being able to have one child. That doesn't mean that these people have the right to make such comments, but it seems like you may need to work on a slightly deeper issue and/or come to grips with the situation yourself.

My wife and I have three kids and we get comments about how many kids we have. My trite response is that, "the world doesn't have enough beautiful people in it and my wife and I happen to make beautiful children." It generally shuts them up real quick.

My niece only has one child and only ever wanted one child. She has a similar trite response when people ask her when she will have more, "I don't need to have anymore because we created perfection the first time around." Again, it generally shuts people up.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,539,663 times
It seems like people ALWAYS have something to say regarding the family planning of others.

When you have no kids, people give you grief about when you will have kids?

When you have 1 kid, people give you grief about when you will give said child a sibling?

When you have 2 kids of the same gender, people give you grief about when you will try for the opposite gender?

When you have 2 kids of opposite genders, people will inform you that you are done because there is nothing else to try for.

When you have 3+ kids, people act like you are crazy and over populating the world.

You can't win. So seriously, have the family that works for you and ignore everyone else!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:00 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,525,405 times
We to only have one child. We did try for another, but I had 5 miscarriages and I couldn't take the emotional turmoil, so we decided that God had given us one miracle and we should be overjoyed and are. People have made the same comments to me and I tell them that we are happy with the miracle God gave us. Depending on who is asking I may tell them about the miscarriages, but I don't feel obligated to explain my decision to anyone nor do I allow their comments to make me feel guilty.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,539,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
We to only have one child. We did try for another, but I had 5 miscarriages and I couldn't take the emotional turmoil, so we decided that God had given us one miracle and we should be overjoyed and are. People have made the same comments to me and I tell them that we are happy with the miracle God gave us. Depending on who is asking I may tell them about the miscarriages, but I don't feel obligated to explain my decision to anyone nor do I allow their comments to make me feel guilty.
Sorry for your losses. I went through a similar experience, I had my DS without any issues and then had 4 miscarriages when we started TTC our second child. So that made it extra hurtful and annoying when I would get harassed about when we would give our son a sibling. People should really just keep their mouths shut about stuff like this, you never know what someone else is going through. And I did end up being successful and having a second child, but it took me going to see a reproductive immunologist who specialized in recurrent miscarriage, going through tons of testing, being diagnosed with blood clotting and autoimmune issues that were causing me to miscarry, and taking blood thinner injections and IVIg infusions through my pregnancy to be successful. You can bet we are done with 2 after going through all that!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,525,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Sorry for your losses. I went through a similar experience, I had my DS without any issues and then had 4 miscarriages when we started TTC our second child. So that made it extra hurtful and annoying when I would get harassed about when we would give our son a sibling. People should really just keep their mouths shut about stuff like this, you never know what someone else is going through. And I did end up being successful and having a second child, but it took me going to see a reproductive immunologist who specialized in recurrent miscarriage, going through tons of testing, being diagnosed with blood clotting and autoimmune issues that were causing me to miscarry, and taking blood thinner injections and IVIg infusions through my pregnancy to be successful. You can bet we are done with 2 after going through all that!
So happy to hear you were successful in having another. And you are right, people need to just keep their mouths shut. It is none of their business as to how many children someone has or doesn't have.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,724,425 times
We have 5 kids. We often get "What is wrong with you?" "Why would you have more after having twins?" "Do you not understand how birth control works"

I really like this because it helps us identify jerks before we waste a lot of time getting to know them.

How many kids you choose to have is your business and no one else's (unless you expect someone else to help pay for them).

(By the way, I only wanted one kid - things change).

Another by the way. Some close friends of ours had either five or six consecutive miscarriages after their first child. They now have six children (none adopted). It is emotionally devastating, but it does nto necessarily mean that it will continue to happen.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,130,270 times
I only have one child and we got a lot of guff over it. My family respected our decision and never bothered us about it. Probably because my mother works for a high risk OB and she sees some pretty awful stuff. My sister only had one child, a cousin only had one child...so only children in my family is not out of the norm. My husband's family was ruthless for the first 5 yrs after our child was born. My MIL actually said, "what if your child gets hit by a car? You will be really upset you didn't have more." She also said that you have a second child for the first so they won't be lonely. SHe said that a lot, that we are doing a great disservice. We told her to mind her own business and all that but she is a betch. Anyway, when our child was about 5 yrs old, pretty much everyone realized we were serious. I don't mind if people ask if there will be more, I think its a natural question but to say awful things is just down right bizarre and uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting