Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:22 AM

147 posts, read 213,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Tell your husband there is a conga line of woman on City-Data waiting to slap him.
LOL! will pass on the message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *lorie View Post
I will not give in!
Seriously take hypocore's advice. Ask your husband to use the name Huckleberry for a month.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Huckleberry Jones."

Once he sees people's reactions, he'll change his mind.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I also have a thing about funny last names, yes, they too can be prevented. My moms first BF had a last name of "Stump", can you imagine a last name like that???, well, I couldn't , i would have of legall changed it when I was able too. There is no reason on Earth to go through life with a dumb arse name when you can change it......"Stump", can you imagine....I also had a friend in HS with the last name "Watt"....Hey paul, whats your last name?....Watt.....Whats your last name....Watt......you gotta be kidding....

Thank heavens my mom married a Greek man instead and we have a nice authentic Greek last name....yeah baby !!!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:50 AM

147 posts, read 213,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Seriously take hypocore's advice. Ask your husband to use the name Huckleberry for a month.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Huckleberry Jones."

Once he sees people's reactions, he'll change his mind.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I also have a thing about funny last names, yes, they too can be prevented. My moms first BF had a last name of "Stump", can you imagine a last name like that???, well, I couldn't , i would have of legall changed it when I was able too. There is no reason on Earth to go through life with a dumb arse name when you can change it......"Stump", can you imagine....I also had a friend in HS with the last name "Watt"....Hey paul, whats your last name?....Watt.....Whats your last name....Watt......you gotta be kidding....

Thank heavens my mom married a Greek man instead and we have a nice authentic Greek last name....yeah baby !!!!!
There was a family in my hometown with the last name Weirdo. One of the sons changed his (I believe at his fiance's insistence) to Verdeaux, which was closer to the way it was originally pronounced, but gussied up into a French spelling.

My friend had a daughter with a husband whose last name is Guido. He turned out to be seriously mentally ill and an alcoholic, and she divorced him when her daughter was two and got him out of her life altogether, and changed her and her daughter's last name back to her maiden name.

We have family friends whose last name is Kool. That's not too bad. It is actually Dutch for "cabbage", which isn't all that great a last name, either, but a lot of Dutch people have funny last names. When the Spanish occupied their country, the Dutch didn't use surnames, but the Spaniards insisted they have last names to make their record-keeping easier, so a lot of Dutch people made up stupid family names knowing the Spanish wouldn't know what they meant.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was a family in my hometown with the last name Weirdo. One of the sons changed his (I believe at his fiance's insistence) to Verdeaux, which was closer to the way it was originally pronounced, but gussied up into a French spelling.

My friend had a daughter with a husband whose last name is Guido. He turned out to be seriously mentally ill and an alcoholic, and she divorced him when her daughter was two and got him out of her life altogether, and changed her and her daughter's last name back to her maiden name.

We have family friends whose last name is Kool. That's not too bad. It is actually Dutch for "cabbage", which isn't all that great a last name, either, but a lot of Dutch people have funny last names. When the Spanish occupied their country, the Dutch didn't use surnames, but the Spaniards insisted they have last names to make their record-keeping easier, so a lot of Dutch people made up stupid family names knowing the Spanish wouldn't know what they meant.
DH and the kids have a Dutch last name, makes life interesting. Also the spelling norms are complicated. If the last name has the prefix "van" it is written "Firstname van Lastname", but "Mr. Firstname/Initial Van Lastname". No one ever gets that. Every one of our legal documents have the last name spelled differently. Some software won't allow the space, etc. We gave our kids common first names to compensate a bit.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:33 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
Especially since you mention in a followup that your last name is long and hard to pronounce, I think that's even more reason to give your son a short, common first name.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:42 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Good point. I like the name, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Maybe name him Huck and then call him Huckleberry as a pet name. This kid WILL grow up and have to fill out resumes. He also could be up for teasing in school or oh my gosh....the military.

I think it's a really cute name, but there is more to consider down the road and it really wouldn't be fair to him as an adult.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:42 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Don't ask me why this thread suddenly popped into my head as I was watching TV. I have a feeling your husband might not like this name (I thought Finn was a good suggestion myself) but here goes. You could name him Barry and then Huckleberry could just be your husband's little nickname for him. As a nickname, especially for a young child, it's cute. Of course when your son gets older he'll start saying "Don't call me that in front of my friends!" unless he takes after your husband and likes it.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
DH and the kids have a Dutch last name, makes life interesting. Also the spelling norms are complicated. If the last name has the prefix "van" it is written "Firstname van Lastname", but "Mr. Firstname/Initial Van Lastname". No one ever gets that. Every one of our legal documents have the last name spelled differently. Some software won't allow the space, etc. We gave our kids common first names to compensate a bit.
Even my sister who has an ex's Irish last name that begins with an O' has problems with computerized names. They just leave off the apostrophe and attach the O to the rest of the name, which is one of the longer Irish names, and telemarketers and doctors' offices come up with some interesting pronounciations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting