Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:01 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When this happens in YOUR country, where you have a democratic right to participate in the enactment of civil and criminal laws regarding people's behavior, and you can compel them to act the way that conforms with YOUR social upbringing and customs, then come back and let us know, and we can talk about it.

I am getting really tired of Americans running around the world demanding that everybody do everything according to American customs. Policing everybody's family values, as if ours was any glowing standard of moral righteousness.
I'm on American soil, so my freedom of speech is intact, even if its being used to criticize some moron in France beating up his daughter in public.

If this guy does this in public, I wonder what life is like at home. I'm not against corpal punishment (certainly against it to this extent), but it would have to be a grave offense for me to discipline my children in public, as I'm not a fan of personal humiliation. Poor kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 07:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Disagree if you like but you may want to look in a mirror before you accuse anyone else of righteousness.
I don't accuse of righteousness, I applaud it. And I see very little in American "family values" to applaud.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
When this happens in YOUR country, where you have a democratic right to participate in the enactment of civil and criminal laws regarding people's behavior, and you can compel them to act the way that conforms with YOUR social upbringing and customs, then come back and let us know, and we can talk about it.

I am getting really tired of Americans running around the world demanding that everybody do everything according to American customs. Policing everybody's family values, as if ours was any glowing standard of moral righteousness.
You should try to become the change you want to see.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:

I am SO glad we didn't have this attitude while liberating Nazi concentration camps...

Old 09-04-2011, 12:09 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
She's far to big for him to be hitting her like that.
She's not even a small child that you would swat on the butt.
I'm sorry, this statement just strikes me as hilariously sad

Old 09-04-2011, 02:27 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
Quote:
I don't accuse of righteousness, I applaud it. And I see very little in American "family values" to applaud.
lol...No reason to get upset...this was but one example and it was on foreign land...
If it makes you feel better..the OP did not need to go so far to see abuse...
Sadly enough americans abuse their children regularly..kill their newborns...drown them...dismember them..and allow their significant others to abuse them at whim...

This is an american epidemic as well...

Old 09-04-2011, 03:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:

Why do you live in the United States when you hate Americans and our country so much? Two words you should fear: Patriot Act.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
It looks weird, cause it's in Hebrew, lol!

He was a Hasidic Jew, from France at the Wailing Wall. No reason was given in the article on why he struck her; but Hasidic belief is VERY strict. (Not that I condone ANY child abuse, even from a fellow Jew, but it can help to explain it a bit better, if you know that.)
The opinions from Jews posted in this comment section (below) are very mixed and some are downright disturbing. Fortunately, most find this appauling. But clearly there's conflict within the greater Jewish community. One specifically abolishes "french sefardim are the biggest machla that ever happened to lubavitch." What bothers me most are the posts that want this video censored, claiming it will strengthen antisemitism. Such sad way of thinking.

Here's a link to the article and comments. Very interesting.

CrownHeights.info » Video: Father Beats His Daughter at the Kotel

No reason is given, but it's clear from the video that the mother sicced the father on the daughter for having a slight attitude. The way the mother purposely turned her back while it was happening and then rushed to the father's defense is unsettling because she didn't even bothered to see if the daughter was okay. Nobody in the family did, not even the siblings.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:51 AM

133 posts, read 182,967 times
What disturbed me quite a bit was that no one reached out to the daughter to make sure she was okay. I do applaud the people for standing up to the father, but it took awhile before a couple of women came over to the girl to see how she was doing.

This is so sad. Especially because the girl barely reacts. You can tell she's used to this sort of treatment.

And in response to the PP, many, many Americans push their children around. In ANY culture, the type of behavior displayed in this video is abusive. Forget cultural values, this is a question of HUMAN values. Humans protect their children. They instinctively know not to harm someone smaller than them, especially their own offspring. It shouldn't be a question of culture. Yes, I know certain practices are more common in certain cultures, but that's not a free pass.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Plenty of Americans hit their kids so where you got this custom business I have no idea.

I think in any country, bigger, stronger people that belt their kids and push them to the ground is disgusting behavior and this being America and all, I can say that freely on this board. Disagree if you like but you may want to look in a mirror before you accuse anyone else of righteousness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
What disturbed me quite a bit was that no one reached out to the daughter to make sure she was okay. I do applaud the people for standing up to the father, but it took awhile before a couple of women came over to the girl to see how she was doing.

This is so sad. Especially because the girl barely reacts. You can tell she's used to this sort of treatment.

And in response to the PP, many, many Americans push their children around. In ANY culture, the type of behavior displayed in this video is abusive. Forget cultural values, this is a question of HUMAN values. Humans protect their children. They instinctively know not to harm someone smaller than them, especially their own offspring. It shouldn't be a question of culture. Yes, I know certain practices are more common in certain cultures, but that's not a free pass.
HEAR, HEAR! to you both! My sentiments EXACTLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting