Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
Come on, the OP is simply looking after the well-being of her children, as she should. I think she's being responsible in questioning this. If she doesn't look out for their well-being, who will? Why would this mean that she needs therapy?!
How is the OP's question any different than, "My lawyer is a female; should I be worried that I'm going to lose my case?" "My gynecologist is male, should I be worried that he's sexually harassing me?" "The military officer at the desk next to me is female, should I be worried they're going to get all touchy feely and forget how to act in stressful situations?"

Surely we're living in an age where gender shouldn't preclude anyone from following the occupation they desire. It's one thing to want to follow up on anyone who works with your child--that's understandable. But to inherently trust females and assume that males are sexual predators is pretty darn sexist. (Especially with no reason for suspicion other than "he was present with the children")

Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 PM

206 posts, read 432,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Your kid (and mine! (*)) have a better chance of getting hit by a meteor then molested by our negihborhood preschool staff member.
Hey, I personally know several children who have been hit by meteors.

Okay, but seriously - OP asked a question ("am I crazy...") and now seems to be upset she's not getting the answer she wanted from some people. I don't get why people do that...

And we still don't have an answer for why "young" is mentioned so many times. Like middle-aged and older men don't molest kids? Pedophilia is not a phase.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
OK, there are three things going on here:

1) males teaching PK.
2) Male teacher holding hands with student )I'm surprised no one commented on this).
3) hiring practices/background checks by church school/day care.

1) The worst schools that I ever worked at were elementary schools that were completely dominated by females. Hideous test scores, awful places to work, breeding grounds for completely dysfunctional kids. I've been a "Sub" several hundred times. A 12:30 dismissal, and a classroom assistant sold me on taking a K job a few times. One principal was furious with me for charging a full day for a 4 hour and 5 minute assignment. We played blocks, worked on numbers, recess/story-time.....$121.05...I think it was a good experience for the students, as 8 out of 10 don't live with their father, and 100% were on free lunch. Anyhoo, males are perfectly capable of being K teachers, and can preform better than females in some areas.

2) Now this struck a nerve with me. I actually cancelled an interview at a private school one time, after I went to their website and saw a picture of a male staffer holding hands with a young student.
Not recommended at any PK-12, only in Sped if absolutely necessary. I don't even see the kids holding hands lately.

3) This is the big thing. I think any church would have to do fingerprint checks for any paid workers and volunteers in order to get liability insurance. Churches have people working on the periphery, sometime for no other reason than knowing someone or being a relative.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2009 View Post
With so many pedofiles around, that worries me a lot.
There actually aren't that many around. Like terrorists they carry a high fear/incidents ratio.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:52 AM

231 posts, read 575,652 times
before having my own kids, I was a preschool teacher. At one of the schools I worked at, I had a male assistant. He was great with the kids and they LOVED him. Some kids don't have a dad around all the time and this guy would wrestle with them and get all their energy out and just play. It was great! The next school I worked at, there was a male teacher there. He was just fine with the kids.
I don't think there is any reason at all to think that of him just because he is a male. If he is only 20, he is probibly just trying to make his way through college and what's more fun than playing with a bunch of kids and kid toys when you have to be so serious all the time with everything else in your life?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:55 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,318 times
Many years ago (about 20 or so) my son had a male teacher in 2nd grade. A number of parents of his classmates had a fit when they found out a few days before school started that their child would have a male teacher and they caused a big stink. The principle held a meeting the night before school with the parents from that class and talked about his credentials etc and gave the parents the option to change their childs class and some elcted to take that option. I was frankly amazed by the parents reacation and we kept our son in that class and that teacher was excellent. A few years later when my daughter was going in to 2nd grade, I learned that that teacher was the most requested in the school! I think knowing your schools policy on background checks for all employees who come in to contact with your kids is important but I would not question why a young man elects to work with kids any more than I would question why a young woman makes any career choices..

Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,383 times
I can tell you the 2 major characteristics to look for in this guy. If these hold true, then you should definitely worry.
1. Does he drive a windowless van?
2. Does he have the classic pedophile mustache?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2009 View Post
Why would not a young guy find some other type of job?

Excuse me Miss but why are you at a computer when you should be making you husband a sandwich?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Yes, because people who bring up the actual science in this area are making personal attacks, while those who have similar biased feelings are wonderful and supportive.

The statistics are clear and controverted : the OP should be worried about older male family members much more than teachers of any sex or ethnicity. I believe the reason some folks are getting upset is because there is a reasonable case for this being sexism.
It is out-and-out sexism and it makes me angry and sad all at once.

The kid is way more likely to get abused by his own father than just some random male out there. Is the op going to hide him from his dad?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,735 times
There was a sexual assault of a young child by a young male preschool teacher in Leesburg a few months ago... Google it. Very sad for the family and they think there may be other victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting