Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 04:18 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times

Advertisements

Hey all - Dew, glad to hear you are recovered (?).

Zim - what's shakin, bacon? I had a weird dream last night where I dropped in at your house unannounced, because you said you don't mind - but you sort of did. It was very strange, because A) I don't know what you look like and B) your house was the backstage of some benefit concert.

MissFR is doing great now, thanks for asking - she did the "conga cargo dance" today, whatever that is, just her and 12 other boys. I have also been volunteered to do pumpkin painting with the whole class, after I suggested I buy some mini pumpkins for them all to paint.

Ewag - just a thought, and I don't mean to alarm you at all, so don't mind me too much - but is it possible LSE is a little too young and maybe not ready for preschool yet? I say that because I know MissFR was not last year, and it seems like they toilet trained at the same time (a bit into three?). She would not have done well if we'd have gone last year. And I was already unnecessarily worried (thanks Dew ) that she wasn't ready this year, because she was so upset by the whole thing. But she seems to have settled in very well now, although she still doesn't want to go in the morning a little bit.

Glad you found a good pedi!

Aconite - if Chinese food is a deliverant - then MissFR should have been about 40 weeks premature. (actually she was 2 weeks late, the Madam.)

Old 09-20-2011, 04:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
And I was already unnecessarily worried (thanks Dew )
After I posted that last night I thought, crap, hope she understands what I mean. Glad to see you did as I almost re-booted my computer to further explain what I meant.

All right! Little Miss FR doing the conga line with all the little boys. (Of course this is how it all starts. You are in sooooo much trouble, lol.)

Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
MissFR is doing great now, thanks for asking - she did the "conga cargo dance" today, whatever that is, just her and 12 other boys. I have also been volunteered to do pumpkin painting with the whole class, after I suggested I buy some mini pumpkins for them all to paint.

Ewag - just a thought, and I don't mean to alarm you at all, so don't mind me too much - but is it possible LSE is a little too young and maybe not ready for preschool yet? I say that because I know MissFR was not last year, and it seems like they toilet trained at the same time (a bit into three?). She would not have done well if we'd have gone last year. And I was already unnecessarily worried (thanks Dew ) that she wasn't ready this year, because she was so upset by the whole thing. But she seems to have settled in very well now, although she still doesn't want to go in the morning a little bit.

Glad you found a good pedi!

Aconite - if Chinese food is a deliverant - then MissFR should have been about 40 weeks premature. (actually she was 2 weeks late, the Madam.)
Ah, awesome re: Miss FR! and hahahaha re: Chinese food!

I honestly don't know re: LSE being too young - most of the kids in his class aren't done with potty training either, although a lot of the kids in his class have done some kind of daycare before. They're all in the "young 3" group.

What I'm trying to parse apart is if it's a "not ready yet" thing or a "he falls on the more emotionally vulnerable/longer to adjust side" thing (which tends to be true of him in all contexts I've seen so far). From everything I've read and talking with his teachers, it seems like 8-12 weeks are the magic numbers for the slow-to-adjust kiddos. It's not like he's traumatized and he still gets excited to go (it'd be easier if he didn't, then I'd just say pull him!!). The main function (in my mind) of him going is just to get used to listening to other adults without me there and having some structured time with peers - it's not like I think he'll be learning something there that he'd sorely miss. I also don't want to pull him too quickly, knowing that he tends to take awhile before he gets cozy with new things. Arg, I don't know. Now I'm rambling. I think if he stops making progress or if he becomes reluctant to go, we'll re-evaluate, but until then, we're going to go with baby steps?

So how's that for more info than you ever wanted about this?? Sorry - my mouth editor is just not with me today!

Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
All right! Little Miss FR doing the conga line with all the little boys. (Of course this is how it all starts. You are in sooooo much trouble, lol.)
Hahahaha!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Zim - what's shakin, bacon? I had a weird dream last night where I dropped in at your house unannounced, because you said you don't mind - but you sort of did. It was very strange, because A) I don't know what you look like and B) your house was the backstage of some benefit concert.

Hehe! How did you know my house kinda does look like the backstage of a benefit concert? A cast-off kaftan in one corner, good ganja, and a couple getting jiggy in the other corner. And I would never mind anyone popping in.

As for MissFR, straight to the conga huh? No tap or square dance first? Uh-oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I honestly don't know re: LSE being too young - most of the kids in his class aren't done with potty training either, although a lot of the kids in his class have done some kind of daycare before. They're all in the "young 3" group.

What I'm trying to parse apart is if it's a "not ready yet" thing or a "he falls on the more emotionally vulnerable/longer to adjust side" thing (which tends to be true of him in all contexts I've seen so far). From everything I've read and talking with his teachers, it seems like 8-12 weeks are the magic numbers for the slow-to-adjust kiddos. It's not like he's traumatized and he still gets excited to go (it'd be easier if he didn't, then I'd just say pull him!!). The main function (in my mind) of him going is just to get used to listening to other adults without me there and having some structured time with peers - it's not like I think he'll be learning something there that he'd sorely miss. I also don't want to pull him too quickly, knowing that he tends to take awhile before he gets cozy with new things. Arg, I don't know. Now I'm rambling. I think if he stops making progress or if he becomes reluctant to go, we'll re-evaluate, but until then, we're going to go with baby steps?

So how's that for more info than you ever wanted about this?? Sorry - my mouth editor is just not with me today!
Both of mine started preschool at 2 1/2. One was potty-trained, one not. If memory serves me it was 2 hours twice a week or something. I did it for exactly the reasons you stated. They pretty much played with flubber, fed whatever critter lived in a tank, sang a song, had a snack, and played in the playground. I do remember the bathroom issues, but they pass.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:37 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ah, awesome re: Miss FR! and hahahaha re: Chinese food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hehe! How did you know my house kinda does look like the backstage of a benefit concert? A cast-off kaftan in one corner, good ganja, and a couple getting jiggy in the other corner. And I would never mind anyone popping in.

As for MissFR, straight to the conga huh? No tap or square dance first? Uh-oh!

Both of mine started preschool at 2 1/2. One was potty-trained, one not. If memory serves me it was 2 hours twice a week or something. I did it for exactly the reasons you stated. They pretty much played with flubber, fed whatever critter lived in a tank, sang a song, had a snack, and played in the playground. I do remember the bathroom issues, but they pass.
Yeah, I get that (said in a mellow voice, not an aggro voice ). I was just pondering, pretty sure you would have thought of that already, Ewag. That's what I hope MissFR will get out of it too, some structured time and listening to other adults, and stuff like that.

I have to tell you guys - I got kinda chastised today, when I picked her up she had her shoes off under the lunch table, and when I went to put them back on, MissD said "You don't always put her shoes on, do you? " and I said "um er I guess not always, but I'm so used to it - she should put them on, right? " - so they are doing well at training me too!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Haha - flubber!

I believe DS's class is interested in having a flying cockroach for their critter tank???

Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Yeah, I get that (said in a mellow voice, not an aggro voice ).
Sorry mate , didn't mean to come across preachy.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Despite planning way ahead, we have ended up with 4 things on Thursday evening again! Second time this month. My thing is out, clearly. DS8 has the other 3. One is out. the other 2 would normally happen back to back, so we'd be maybe 10 minutes late for the second. Normally it starts at 7:00. I was notified a couple days ago that it will be starting at 6:45 (ok, now we'll be more like 25 minutes late). Today I was told to arrive at 6:30! Now we will be about 45 minutes late, which means missing half the meeting. Do they not think people have other things going on?

thanks for listening to my rant

Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I get that (said in a mellow voice, not an aggro voice ). I was just pondering, pretty sure you would have thought of that already, Ewag. That's what I hope MissFR will get out of it too, some structured time and listening to other adults, and stuff like that.

I have to tell you guys - I got kinda chastised today, when I picked her up she had her shoes off under the lunch table, and when I went to put them back on, MissD said "You don't always put her shoes on, do you? " and I said "um er I guess not always, but I'm so used to it - she should put them on, right? " - so they are doing well at training me too!
Me either (or me too?) - sorry - am I have tone modulation issues with my posting?? Damn.

I really appreciate the feedback, FR, and the space to try to suss it all out. I hope I didn't sound defensive - I actually genuinely don't know what's the what right now.

Haha re: shoes and training you! Who knows all of these things??

(Note to self: Make LSE learn to put shoes on by himself before next year.)
Does that entail tying shoes, too? Because I still tie like a little kid - I used to tie like a grown-up until I taught my little sister (mind you, she's 3 years younger) and I managed to unlearn grown-up tying (and not relearn grown-up tying for 30 years or so! Oops.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting