Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Thanks, everybody. I am embarrassed to ask, but does CDMWR stand for? City-Data Moms Without Rancor? Monday-Wednesday Racquetball?

Why won't my cats stay out of the vent? WHY GOD WHY. I just heard scratching at the vent to my left. I opened it, and the timid cat jumped out. The big opening under the sink is blocked with a giant bag of baking soda, but there's one more opening in the wall in the laundry room. Like going down a small laundry chute. Why would a cat do that and crawl around in a dark vent just to be stuck in a wall somewhere? To torment me, that's why.

The other one is meowing at the sink opening to be let in. I hope there's not a mouse or something in there that they're after.
City Data Moms Who Rock.

You have some evil cats.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Oh, no. Literal poop. Cat poop every day, which is sort of tolerable I guess. My son is on medication that makes him very constipated, and sometimes ... well, bad things happen. He goes through stages where he wets the bed a lot or worse. Like today.
I've had those days. The cat pukes on the carpet, older kid throws up on everything, younger kid has a dirty diaper... do you clean the kid or the crib first? I've been in tears over that sort of thing. Thankfully it has been a while. I hope your day gets better.

My cat, however, has never gone into the vents.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:23 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I hate mornings in this house. I do love the fact that both kids will be gone for 7.5 hours, and I will have the house to myself to work on the to-do list and wait for the new fridge.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Mornings here are much better than they were last year. We have one of those hanging clothing organizers. Kind of like this:

Except there are 7 cubbies and each one has the day of the week on it. Every Sunday, we pick out her clothes for the week and put them in cubbies (including underwear, socks, shoes). Just that one thing has made such a huge difference to our mornings. There is no running around looking for socks (because there are never matching and clean ones in her drawer). Or searching for the perfect shirt to go with the skirt that she HAS to wear that day. It also doesn't take up time at night to get it done. There is so much less stress since we started doing that. If you don't have one, I suggest you get one.

The cubby sizes are perfect for an entire outfit and a pair of shoes. The kids know exactly where to go in the morning and can get ready so easily.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I keep trying to get my oldest to do that, Num. She goes through so much laundry, trying things on and tossing clean clothes on the floor. I've encouraged her to put together five outfits for school and told her I'd get her some cubbies or one of those multihangers. She wouldn't have to decide the days in order, just go by the weather. Oh, it's raining? Jeans and a hoodie. It warmed up again? Shorts and that top you really like.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 AM

I am getting really tired of a certain phrase I am seeing more and more of around here. "My child is gifted. I know all parents think their kids are gifted, but mine really is." I am sorry, but knock it off. Especially when the things you list your "gifted" child can do and those things are actually on the average to below-average side. If some of the "gifted" kids really are gifted, then my 6 year old should be ready to graduate college any day and will put Einstein and Hawking to shame.

Repeat after me everyone: My child is not gifted. He does not deserve special treatment just because I think he is gifted. Even if I hold on to the delusion that my child really is gifted, I will not run around telling everyone that.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:48 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I have another friend who got pregnant at 16 and then again at 18 and she's 18 now still and has two kids. We were inseparable in high school, we hung out all the time, we swam on the swim team together, we got into our evil shenanigans together and then she dropped out and went to an alternative school and I didn't see her for the longest time and when I did she was pregnant again. Last time I saw her I was helping her move, we didn't get to spend much time catching up or talking because she was dealing with her two year old and like two month old, both who were raging cranky.

I don't see how you guys can't see how I am freaking out when I say LITERALLY every single one of my female friends has a young child, is about to give birth, or just found out they were pregnant. LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

The only reason it hasn't happened to me is because I know how to protect myself, none of them are on birth control and I even told both of my current closest friends that I would TAKE them to the planned parenthood here in town, it's close, its cheap and its stupid not to. I want to punch all of their parents for not teaching them better.

I can't feel sorry for my friend H. I even told her USE A CONDOM because she "doesn't want to inject hormones into her body" but noooooooooooo the guy told her "he can't ***" and they had sex 10 times in one night and then days later she's like "we did it again on the balcony" and I asked if they used a condom then either and that's when she told me what he told her. OBVIOUSLY HE CAN.

I hate this. Literally every single one of them.....
Nothing is ever going to be the same now.
And I'm going to be the only one with out a kid and I won't be able to relate to anything they talk about or even want to hear about it all the time.
Txt, we have all been there, done that. At some point in every woman's life she will be the only one of a circle of friends not moving on to college/motherhood/marriage/divorce/grad school/grandmotherhood. Welcome to life on the big girl bench.
The only thing the least bit exceptional about your life is how anybody can create that much drama and chaos out of so little material. I mean...seriously. You've portrayed yourself to us an unmotivated young twenty-something with a boyfriend, a mom she doesn't get along with, friends who are moving on without her, and no college degree. Big honkin' deal. Your life is pretty average. It's up to you to make it useful and remarkable, and throwing internet hissy fits is not the way to do it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I keep trying to get my oldest to do that, Num. She goes through so much laundry, trying things on and tossing clean clothes on the floor. I've encouraged her to put together five outfits for school and told her I'd get her some cubbies or one of those multihangers. She wouldn't have to decide the days in order, just go by the weather. Oh, it's raining? Jeans and a hoodie. It warmed up again? Shorts and that top you really like.
I am telling you it has made the difference from screaming matches and slamming doors which still ended up in everyone being late and starting the day in a really bad mood, and changed to everyone getting up and getting themselves ready, staying in a good mood and having a bit of extra time in the morning to double check backpacks and that planner was signed.

We had the thing for years, but just started using it again. LOVE it. I really like the 7 slot one because then we can pick out 7 outfits and if the weather changes or whatever, we have backup outfits already in place.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I know which thread you are reading. Just for fun, you might want to keep up with the parent from an Eastern European country who is once again ripping American schools and society on the education forum.

I will join the cranky pants brigade. We finally got some decent rain last night. Naturally, my newspaper is a sodden mass of wood pulp at the bottom of the driveway. The one freakin puddle that forms is like a target for the carrier.

Last night's ladies Dinner Club menu was goat cheese lasagna rolls ups and chocolate mousse with raspberry sauce. Quite tasty.

Wine kills germs for all those still battling sniffles (or dealing with kids/pets battling much worse) Dr Mattie's prescription of the day.

I am going to finally order some wedding pictures today. Just a couple that I can pull out if we get a visit.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Hey, MWR, want to see something funny?

Great Gifts from Knock Knock - Funny Office Gifts, Cool Stationery, Smart Notepads

My husband and his sister have a very rude sense of humor that they share. I think one of the reasons he loves me is that I put up with it and can join in. I think it's funny to see the two of them, how they prank one another, and the tasteless gifts they buy for Christmas. Last Christmas, my sister-in-law bought my husband a pad labeled S*** List, with all kinds of checkboxes to tick about why someone is on the list. More of a novelty, good for a laugh. I went looking for something similar online and found a whole store of them (above). Check some of them out if you aren't offended. (It's very lowbrow.)

I am reading the one labeled Hey A*****, with tears of laughter on my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting