Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

num, wow. wow. That is a real contrast to where I worked. We had TVs and radios on all over. Not much work got done with people going back and forth between the TV and their desks. At lunch, people packed the room with the TV. What your employer did doesn't quite fit the description of "taking care of their employees."

Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No we haven't. I can't imagine anyone being interested in my drivel. It would be a great record for our kids though, especially when they are older. We talk to them a lot about our pasts, they always have lots of questions, but I'm not sure how much they really understand at their age.
I'd strongly urge you to. I've worked on oral history projects and they can be as simple as talking into a tape recorder or a video camera. It doesn't have to be a huge production. Just, in your spare time (insert laugh here) switch it on and start talking. 40 years from now your children will be thrilled to have that record. And there will always be historians and students needing this kind of thing.

I had my grandmothers do it. They went from the horse and buggy to man on the moon. You've got more to give to this than I think you may realise. It's not drivel. (Momma Dew's lecture of the day, you lucky girl!)

Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Morning all!

Zim - I'm with Dew - and my addition is to not keep putting it off "until they're older" or somesuch....start now and stick with it.

Dew - congrats on the W! We got the San Diego/Minnesota game here but I kept my eye on the score feed ....had me worried for a bit! Glad to hear you all pulled through! Couple of upsets yesterday. Could be an interesting season. Hoping all goes well tonight for us.

Num - my work memory is that I eventually went into work (at that time I worked flex-time which pretty much meant I came/went for a few hours/week as my schedule allowed and got paid accordingly) and it was pretty empty. I think several people at our main building had gathered at lunch for a prayer service. I remember driving around trying to find somewhere to give blood. Your experience was awful. I cannot imagine.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Wow! Nummy, that's terrible! I'm so sorry they treated their employees so badly!

My sister had a problem at her company. She interrupted the VP in a meeting to tell her what happened and people wanted to go home. The VP would not let anyone go home because it was happening in NYC, not Pgh. But they knew last plane had turned around in Ohio and appeared to be heading for Pittsburgh. They were all in one of the tallest skyscrapers in Pittsburgh. The VP went back into her meeting and everyone left regardless of her saying to stay. The last plane ended up passing over Pittsburgh and crashed in the county just to the east. The next day, the VP was all apologies, saying she had no idea. Understandable but if she had listened to her employees she would have gotten an idea very quickly.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I'm sick!

I don't know if I have a cold or flu. I don't think it's allergies from Hell but it could be that too I guess.

I'm absolutely misserable!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 AM

sorry Hopes. Feel better!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Dew - congrats on the W! We got the San Diego/Minnesota game here but I kept my eye on the score feed ....had me worried for a bit! Glad to hear you all pulled through! Couple of upsets yesterday. Could be an interesting season. Hoping all goes well tonight for us.
I've got my fingers crossed for you!

The Cardinals are going to do me in. Too many close games. I actually blew out my voice on one play. (Patrick Peterson showboating on a run back if you catch a re-play on TV.) I really need to calm down. (But know I never will. )

Poor Hopes! Can you just cool it and take it easy today?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Dew & MM - thanks for the words of encouragement. I think it's something we'll definitely do.

Hopes - sorry! Hope you feel better soon!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
Hopes, I am sorry you are feeling sick. Feel better. Your sister has a pretty bad story from that day too.

I remember the worst part of the day was the fear. Since we were cut off from the outside, we had no idea if it was all still going on, whether it was under control, nothing. It was absolutely terrifying no knowing ANYTHING except our country was being attacked. We didn't know if they were taking out every major city, or if it was just those buildings. I will never forget that fear.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM

all right... getting up off the couch to do a work out video. really... I am...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting