Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,849,976 times

Advertisements

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with everyone. I started feeling a bit off last weekend and by yesterday at lunch time, I could barely keep my head up. I just feel horrible. I am hoping that whatever this is passes quickly. Heading back to bed. If I don't come back on, have a good weekend everyone.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,901,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Technology is also really changing what kind of homework there is. This year DS has two teachers who require them to log into the teacher site, read a blog and comment on the blog. One also has podcasts they have to listen to and comment on. I really like that sort of thinking outside the box.
That is really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I need help figuring out how to inspire hubby to make healthy lifestyle changes. I'm really worried about him.
Ah, Hopes, I feel for you. I wish I had some good suggestions - it took my dad having surgery for a life-threatening condition last year to stop smoking and he's back at it again now. It seems like the scare factor was only temporary (not to underestimate the difficulty of quitting smoking, I know that one first-hand).

I second the not having junk food around and trying to do things with DH. That's what I do with my DH - he is genetically a big guy and carries a lot of extra weight, enough so that I worry about the health implications for him, too. Have you talked with him about your worry that if he doesn't change his behavior, you'll lose him young? Sometimes that sparks some temporary change in my DH. Since DS was born, he's been more cognizant of needing to make changes (just doesn't have a lot of space in the schedule for actually doing the amount of exercise he needs). I try to support any wild hair he gets about exercising. Sorry, I doubt any of this is helpful or things you haven't already thought of.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with everyone. I started feeling a bit off last weekend and by yesterday at lunch time, I could barely keep my head up. I just feel horrible. I am hoping that whatever this is passes quickly. Heading back to bed. If I don't come back on, have a good weekend everyone.
Ugh - feel better, nummy!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,147,117 times
Take care Nummy!!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM

A NSFW (language) funny for your Friday, in honor of frustration with chronic complaining :

**** - Dennis Leary - YouTube

Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Tai Chi Hopes. (You can get DVDs)

It's an easy exercise with a mind-body connection. I'm a total believer. You can learn the movements together and then do it together every day. Plus it's fun!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 AM

Oh, Ewag you naughty, smokin hot even while pregnant, don't take no guff off no whiners, woman you!

Perfect.

You just made my day.

Maggots. I'm going to be saying that under my breath. Perect. Ooh... Gonna watch it again!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hopes, can you find something you can do together? DH and I walk and bike together. We have a Wii and bowl and golf on that. Also have a stationary bike pointed towards the TV. We both hop on that and pedal away while watching shows. Plus since he rides horses there's a lot of exercise there. Taking care of the horses. Mucking out stalls, etc. Any way to get your DH a hobby he would like that requires physical effort?
He golfs, but that's not everyday.

We love riding bikes. Last summer, we did a 14 mile bike trip while on vacation. But it's not like we can walk out our door and ride bikes. We have to load them onto the car and go somewhere else. Pittsburgh's terrain is super steep, and we live halfway up a big hill.

We used to ski. It woudnt' be a wise risk after his shoulder surgery. Prior to last year's injury, he shattered his shoulder when he was a teenager playing football, and reinjured it skiing when he was in his mid-30s. The doctor said that he doesn't think he'll be able to rebuild his shoulder again.

We loved hiking but we got out of that because we never saw each other with his work schedule. I could make a huge list of all the physical things we loved doing together. We used to be very active prior to his changing careers. The most fun was playing paint ball. Oh, man, my entire body ached for 3 weeks after our monthly paintball wars. Talk about a fun workout!

We had a stationary bike, but nobody ever got on it. The wii is a good idea. I can imagine he might think that would be fun.

Quote:
As far as food goes, I simply don't buy a lot of junk. If it's not in the cupboard neither of us can eat it. Sorry, no advice on the cigars. Neither of us ever smoked.
I don't buy junk either. I started packing hubby's food for when working because he'd just stop and buy junk. As long as he has food with him, he doesn't stop and buy unhealthy stuff.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Oh, Ewag you naughty, smokin hot even while pregnant, don't take no guff off no whiners, woman you!

Perfect.

You just made my day.

Maggots. I'm going to be saying that under my breath. Perect. Ooh... Gonna watch it again!
Hahahahahahahaha! Ah, Dew, you crack me up!

This has been running through my head since last night - so glad I could find it!

I have an affinity for Dennis Leary - my dad always used to tell us "life sucks, get a helmet" when we were growing up. One of Dad's truisms that we needed to be older to appreciate!

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 09-16-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Have you talked with him about your worry that if he doesn't change his behavior, you'll lose him young? Sometimes that sparks some temporary change in my DH.
Yeah but I haven't overly pushed that aspect. I'll start laying it on him thick.

Quote:
Tai Chi Hopes. (You can get DVDs)

It's an easy exercise with a mind-body connection. I'm a total believer. You can learn the movements together and then do it together every day. Plus it's fun!
That's a great idea! As soon as the flooring is done downstairs, I'm totally trying this!

We have nowhere to work out inside the house right now. Every public living space is plywood sub floors right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.