Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,901,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Congrats on the roommate and apt. txt. Hope you counted eating in your budget....and remembered to read and understand the contract...(gotta get the mom adviced in there somewhere)
Good advice, mm! Txt - they sell Ramen real cheap by the case - I always used to have one on hand when I had my first place- it serves in a pinch. If you have someone who has rented before who can come with you and read through the contract, that never hurts - they can be overly wordy sometimes. I'm very excited for you and your friend!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,333 times
11 hours on a Saturday is too many hours to work.

We've never rented an apartment, but we have rented several houses. When they make you walk through and mark down stuff that is damaged don't forget anything. Always read the contract (one time there was a mistake and they tried to charge us more for rent; another time the lease stated front & backyard gardening service and they tried to only do the front yard). And if something breaks, tell them right away and keep a record. Our management tried to charge us for fixing mold due to an "unreported" leak but we had written proof of it being reported 3x before they bothered to fix it and they backed down.

And make sure you and your roommate don't have any issues living together. Two of my friends got an apartment together a few months ago and last week there was an insane drunken party. One roommate apparently likes to drink and try to sleep with everyone present; the other is not a drinker.

I wish there were hot firefighters running around for me to admire...there have been a ton of grass fires in the area but I only get to see the trucks, not the actual people fighting them!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
11 hours on a Saturday is too many hours to work.

We've never rented an apartment, but we have rented several houses. When they make you walk through and mark down stuff that is damaged don't forget anything. Always read the contract (one time there was a mistake and they tried to charge us more for rent; another time the lease stated front & backyard gardening service and they tried to only do the front yard). And if something breaks, tell them right away and keep a record. Our management tried to charge us for fixing mold due to an "unreported" leak but we had written proof of it being reported 3x before they bothered to fix it and they backed down.

And make sure you and your roommate don't have any issues living together. Two of my friends got an apartment together a few months ago and last week there was an insane drunken party. One roommate apparently likes to drink and try to sleep with everyone present; the other is not a drinker.

I wish there were hot firefighters running around for me to admire...there have been a ton of grass fires in the area but I only get to see the trucks, not the actual people fighting them!
Oh we are the best of friends. We are so much alike. She likes to drink just about as much as I do and we are so similar that we never fight.
We get along so well.

She works at night 11pm-7am and I sleep at night, sort of.
Its going to be awesome.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Oh we are the best of friends. We are so much alike. She likes to drink just about as much as I do and we are so similar that we never fight.
We get along so well.

She works at night 11pm-7am and I sleep at night, sort of.
Its going to be awesome.
Sometimes even best friends can get on each others' nerves. My best friend used to be extremely messy so living with her was sometimes a pain. I can honestly say though, I've never had an issue so big it couldn't be resolved, and I am still friends with all my former roommates.

The drinking thing was only an issue in this case because the one friend who didn't drink wouldn't open her mouth and say something to the other person! Best thing to learn from that: if you have an issue and don't say anything about it, nothing is going to be fixed.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Morning amigas!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
morning Dew!

txt living with a roommate will be a learning experience. We can't prepare her for every possible issue she might have with a roommate. It is a rite of passage into adulthood.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:25 AM

13,406 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Morning Dew!

I agree with Kibbie. Just go and have fun with it, txt. I'm just happy you're getting out of your mom's house. The pitfalls of roommates is just part of life at that age. So is eating ramen.

Get some vegetables, green beans and stuff like that, some leftover chicken, sautee them in a pan and then add the ramen that you've cooked in a bit of water with the spice packet and drained.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
I wish ramen existed when I was a young adult! Even with a tight budget, being truly on your own can be super fun.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:38 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Morning Dew!

I agree with Kibbie. Just go and have fun with it, txt. I'm just happy you're getting out of your mom's house. The pitfalls of roommates is just part of life at that age. So is eating ramen.

Get some vegetables, green beans and stuff like that, some leftover chicken, sautee them in a pan and then add the ramen that you've cooked in a bit of water with the spice packet and drained.
Wait. Are you saying that we are supposed to eat vegetables? I thought the produce section was just for decoration. All of those colors together look so pretty that I don't want to mess up their arrangement by buying some of them.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wish ramen existed when I was a young adult!
Campbell's chicken noodle soup. I seem to recall getting 10 cans for a buck.

I can't even look at it today.

My old roomie and I are still best friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.