U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 PM

16,741 posts, read 11,218,468 times
LOL...when my kids were younger, I tried to work from home...didn't work so much. I think for men it's different. They're not (typically) thinking, "I'll just pop this load of laundry in, then I'll answer a few emails"...well, of course, you toss the load of laundry in then notice how dusty the laundry room is (and who spilled the OxyClean power all over the place?) then someone wants lunch, then you have to clean that up, then your neighbor calls.....Our kids are older/gone and DH isn't allowed to touch the laundry ever since the Red Shirt in the White Load incident....so he just sits up here and works away. .....

Old 11-01-2011, 06:49 PM

Does anyone have any experience with shoe stretchers?

Kibs/Dew? I know you are wide-foot sistah's....my coworker swears by them...I've looked at a few online and if I'm going to try them, I want something that will last.....suggestions anyone?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM

6,946 posts, read 8,020,629 times
MM, I had a pair of western Frye boots stretched in the toe area (they looked great, but ouch), by dropping them off at the dry cleaners. Most of them, at least here, offer shoe repair too. It's a very inexpensive solution, maybe $5.00?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM

40,276 posts, read 43,452,438 times
I love a good blizzard! There's something so relaxing about the weather forcing me to take a break from life! When I take my own breaks during good weather, I'm always mentally beating myself up about what I'm not getting done. Blizzards solve that problem!

Of course, a blizzard is only fun with electricity. We lost ours for a few days last year. Then it's all about survival. We get out our ski clothes and stay outside in the sunshine during the day and climb under every blanket we own when the sun goes down. When that happens, we always talk about getting a generator before the next time but we quickly forget about that after the electricty comes back on.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM

6,946 posts, read 8,020,629 times
Does CO do a lot of snow days? I thought you people were hardier than the rest of us.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM

20,604 posts, read 11,012,382 times
MM - I have shoe stretchers. I think I bought them off one of the shopping networks. They're wood and you can increase the length and width on them. They've never worked for me. (And I've used them on a lot of different kinds of shoes.) They don't get the shoes wide enough for my Donald Duck feet. Right now they're in a box under my bed. Alone. Not being used. Every once in a while I have to move them to get my good china out and I say bad words to them.

(Yes. The good china is stored under our bed.)

Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Mattie - I have very wide feet. I have a difficult time even finding shoes that will go on my feet. I was thinking of purchasing a stretcher to make the shoes I can get on my feet, a bit more comfy....I'd never thought of the dry cleaners though. And I could probably take a few of the shoes I have to a cobbler to have stretched...I was just thinking by the time I did that for several pair, I might as well invest in a stretcher....hmmmm....<dreams of having a size 7 medium shoe...>

Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Dew - that's exactly why I haven't ever bought them ...my coworker recently mentioned them and I was kind of skeptical.....I suspect I would spend $40 and it really wouldn't help all that much. I'm just getting desperate - Famous Footwear isn't really carrying much in the way of wide shoes lately. And that was my go-to place. I'm wearing clogs I've probably had for 3 years. At some point they will fall apart and I'll be SOL.
Signed,
Daisy Duck

Mattie - our weather here is...all over the place. It's much much more mild that the winters I got used to going to college and then living in the upper midwest. Here we typically do get a snow or two in Oct (sometimes even Sept), but it will usually melt fairly quickly. The air is arid and because of the altitude the sun is more intense. We don't have the months of cold, damp, overcast days that I was used to. We might have some snow but it will soon be sunny. Maybe not "warm" but not what I would characterize as bitter cold. Winter is back and forth between temps in the teens and temps in the 50s. Sunny at least part of the day - usually. The most unpredictable weather occurs in Oct and March/April - you could get blizzards in those months and be shoveling snow as quickly as it melts and in a light jacket so that your sump pump doesn't go berserck....it's really crazy.

Last edited by maciesmom; 11-01-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 07:57 PM

16,658 posts, read 12,992,257 times
I've never used a shoe stretcher.

I've heard from people who grew up here that they never had snow days. We've had several in the past few years. I think we even had 3 in a row around halloween a couple years ago. I think it is over-kill. My theories are it is either people who've moved from CA who can't deal with it; or fear of lawsuits if someone falls and gets hurt on their way to school.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I've never used a shoe stretcher.

I've heard from people who grew up here that they never had snow days. We've had several in the past few years. I think we even had 3 in a row around halloween a couple years ago. I think it is over-kill. My theories are it is either people who've moved from CA who can't deal with it; or fear of lawsuits if someone falls and gets hurt on their way to school.
I think the snow days in our district have something to do with it being such a large district that some parts of it may get much more snow that others. Also, some parts are still quite rural. If the school bus cannot get there (think way east of you, almost to the next county), that is an issue.

I do agree that several times in the past couple of years, school has been cancelled/delayed in a more "anticipatory" fashion. It doesn't always pan out. And, in some cases, we get more/icier snow and school is not delayed/cancelled when it really perhaps should have been. It's kind of a carpshoot either way. Glad I'm not the one who has to make that decision by 4 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.