Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 01:06 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times

Advertisements

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Huge, warm Washington (((((((HUGS)))))))

Old 11-24-2011, 04:19 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Walmart is notorious for only giving limited hours--less than 35 so that they do not have to offer benifits. Not a good place to work.

Just the raise in pay and full time hours at TXT's new job should be motivation enough to change jobs.

She came here excited an happy about her news,I can't believe everyone is putting her down for this.
Yeah that's what they did to me, they'd work me at 39.50 hours for a few weeks and then give me 27 hours for two weeks just so they wouldn't have to give me benefits.

Luckily I had that manager on my side and she gave me fulltime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Remember you're talking about Textqueen. She just started working at Walmart recently, and is upset about not having an immediate opportunity for promotion. Unlike the rest of the Known World, which knows if you want a promotion, you have to prove you're willing to stick with the job you have, and improve with it.

With a promotion comes added responsibility. The #1 requisite for such an opportunity is proof that you can handle the responsibility you have now. She hasn't proven that yet, because she hasn't been working there long enough to prove it. Her -past- history proves, in fact, that she _cannot_ stick with something long enough to prove she can handle the responsibility.

Stick-to-it-iveness is what managers look for when they need to promote from within. Anyone can ring up a cash register or stock a shelf. But if you can't *continue* to do that for a year, then you don't have what it takes to move up in the company.

Welcome to the world of retail.
What I am upset about is that I am QUALIFIED to do asset protection.
They went from having a team of 5, 1 head guy and 4 people under him to a team of 2 in the matter of just 2 months, no head guy and two regular asset protection guys.

I have spoken to many many people who can call my old supervisor of explorers and talk to her and verify everything. Explorers gave me the skills needed to observe actions and handle talking to people. Yet I am given the run-around and told to wait etc etc.

And I don't have a year. I swear, if I have to go another 9 months, having nothing left over from my check because they can't get my hours straight and keep doing weird crap with my schedule and not putting a full 80 hours worth of pay into my checks, I would sooner take my check, purchase a gun and just off myself than continue that trend.
I am trying to find something that enables me to get out of my mom's house, not sit here and just continue with bi-weekly checks that can't break $400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not all states mandate benefits for full time employees. Anyways, we're more concerned about txt sticking with something. She never stays at a job for more than a few months. We've been trying to encourage her to establish a stable work history. Stick with something. And BAM, suddenly she's leaving Walmart. Even though this is a better opportunity, she still needs to be reminded about the importance of a stable work history. She quits places without notice sometimes. It's like, hopefully we're planting seeds---and someday, someday, they might take root and she'll remember what we said and apply it.

We have been txt's cyber mommies for a few years now. She comes here again and again because it helps her. Our tone has evolved to this because it is what gets through to her. She sometimes truly "gets it" after we bombard her. Not at first. But she takes time to think about it. Unfortunately she lapses easily. We do care about her, very much. We wouldn't have spent so many years trying to help her if we didn't.
I quit the gas station without notice. I told them I was done and sick of everything and to basically go pound sand but BBB and every job before was given notice, and every job after will be given notice, and BTW I am keeping walmart, I work 4 on, 3 off and can work maybe 1-2 days at walmart. I need that discount card for cheap **** from walmart, so I'll be keeping the job to save money on **** I buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yep. I DO care about txt. Very much. If I didn't care so much about her using her God-given talents (she can be funny as heck and is a very talented writer - I've told her that) to make a success of her life I wouldn't be so hard on her. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Hey, txt. I know you're reading this. Happy Thanksgiving. I'm glad you've got a Grandma who gives you hugs at Walmart. Hug her back. Hard.
I hug her all the time. It makes me so sad though. I miss my own grandmother sooooo much.
I invited work-grandma over for dinner today, I hear from her in a little bit if she's coming by,she had to work today 7-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yes, I know. I was just making a point. You have to put in a certain amount of time before you can change positions, let alone get a promotion. Of course others are going want the promotion, too, and the newbie probably has no shot of getting it. However, the company does have advancement opportunities. You just have to be a good worker with a good attitude for the right amount of time.
Like I said I don't have time, patience doesn't pay my bills money does and even working 40 hours a week at walmart I still don't make enough to move out of my mom's house. I do with my new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Wasn't that gas station job that she quit after a month or two also full-time? It's just the continual quitting of jobs. My husband has three jobs so that he can have a stable work history with at least one of his jobs, and he makes sure that any new job he gets works with that one job's schedule so he can keep that stable work history. Stable work history is very, very, very important.
Why on earth would I keep a job that doesn't give me the income I need?
I have things to pay for, a hellhole to move out of and an overbearing mother to escape. I NEEDED this new job. I wasn't going to wallow about wal-mart with my depression and anxiety for another 9 months while I barely make my bills because I don't EVER break $400 a check.

I've been going from job to job because nothing ive gotten so far has paid me enough and even then it sucks up so much of my time getting a second job would almost be impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Clearly, the Walmart issue is like any company. Attitude, perception and even co-workers & management clearly makes a difference. Some Walmart employees think it's a great place to work. Some think it's the best.
Yes because being treated like dirt by the majority of customers is all about my perception, I should learn to enjoy it and ask for more please.
I'd stay at wal-mart fulltime if I truly wanted to learn just how to be a good little minion and bend over and take it like good little minions should.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope you and yours have a safe and happy day! Gobble gobble!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

I've been going from job to job because nothing ive gotten so far has paid me enough and even then it sucks up so much of my time getting a second job would almost be impossible.
Why do you suppose that is?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Plenty of people work two jobs. You do what you have to do.

Happy "Day After The Turkey" everyone. (That sounds like a Hollywood Reporter headline.)

Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Plenty of people work two jobs. You do what you have to do.

Happy "Day After The Turkey" everyone. (That sounds like a Hollywood Reporter headline.)
Happy Black Friday! I suppose it wouldn't be worth it to go to Target for paper towels today. I'm out.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Happy day after, Black Friday, etc...all! I hope all of your T-day plans worked out and that you thoroughly enjoyed your good company and great food! It was wonderful here...so laid back and pleasant. Even the power stayed on for us.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Here are some hilarious, awkward studio photos. Bad hair and bad glasses don't date well. I will admit here and now that I sported a mullet in the 80's, together with large red glasses. It wasn't pretty.

Bad Paid-For Photos - Ellen Degeneres Photo Gallery

Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Here are some hilarious, awkward studio photos. Bad hair and bad glasses don't date well. I will admit here and now that I sported a mullet in the 80's, together with large red glasses. It wasn't pretty.

Bad Paid-For Photos - Ellen Degeneres Photo Gallery
I saw those yesterday. Hilarious!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 AM

Eeeeeeeeek!! LMBO while looking at some of these!! I had some nieces who sported the 4-5" brick-hard, poofy bangs. I never could understand that! Living her in humid/wet W.WA, I always thought that was just crazy! The perms? hehe, remember that, y'all? When they were for men AND women? Thanks for sharing...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting