Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Speaking of handslapping... what's a teacher to do when a "special needs/tourettes" student is constantly telling other students he's going to kill them? I handslapped my son yesterday when he got home. He shared with me that this child told him, out of the blue, that he was going to kill him. He promptly took out his cell phone, pretended to call the police department, and the boy (high school) went to the front of the class and told on himself to the teacher. Sorry...hehe, off topic, but yeah....I handslapped my freshman son for his quick thinking.
Well...that depends. Is the death threat a tic, or is it just that he's learned he can get away with crap?

I have to say that would scare the bejeebers out of my daughter and trigger panic attacks. I guess at that point we'd be back to Dueling Diagnoses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 AM

572 posts, read 1,299,158 times
Here's a few from this week's issues:

1. When I tell you that my son is heat sensitive (BECAUSE HE IS ON MEDICATION THAT STATES IN THE SIDE EFFECTS, MAY CAUSE SENSITIVITY TO HEAT AND SUNLIGHT), the fact that he is having a tantrum during an outdoor gym class in 90 degree heat while being forced to wear pants and not allowed to get water does NOT mean he is trying to get out of not doing the work, it means that the heat is making him SICK!

2. If my child is banging his head against a desk 10-15 times and crying that he can't see-- call me.

3. Don't tell me that behavior that is typical for children with autism is my child being naughty. He has autism.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:06 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
If you think conferences are bad, try IEP meetings. It's you in an itsy bitsy chair, and then it's all the administrators in larger chairs. They are on one side of the table, you are on another. It's very intimidating.
Odd. That's not how our IEP meetings go. We sit around a conference table and the chairs are all adult chairs. Since the conference table is oval, we aren't in a *you vs them* line up either.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Well...that depends. Is the death threat a tic, or is it just that he's learned he can get away with crap?

I have to say that would scare the bejeebers out of my daughter and trigger panic attacks. I guess at that point we'd be back to Dueling Diagnoses.
Well, according to DS, whom is truly a wonderful, kind, hug-a-bear kid, this boy has learned that he can get away with this crap. DS had simply had enough of his "getting away with the crap" stuff and faked a call to the police dept., complete with allowing the boy to hear everything he was saying to the person on the phone. Apparently, it scared the bejezus out of the kid and he chose to go to the teacher and let him know that the police were coming to get him because he told my son he was going to kill him...."but I didn't really mean it! I'm SORRY! I was just KIDDING him!"

Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM

500 posts, read 748,303 times
Quote:
Here's a few from this week's issues:

1. When I tell you that my son is heat sensitive (BECAUSE HE IS ON MEDICATION THAT STATES IN THE SIDE EFFECTS, MAY CAUSE SENSITIVITY TO HEAT AND SUNLIGHT), the fact that he is having a tantrum during an outdoor gym class in 90 degree heat while being forced to wear pants and not allowed to get water does NOT mean he is trying to get out of not doing the work, it means that the heat is making him SICK!

2. If my child is banging his head against a desk 10-15 times and crying that he can't see-- call me.

3. Don't tell me that behavior that is typical for children with autism is my child being naughty. He has autism.
Jojo, I feel your pain! You need to, if you have not already, put this in writing to the Director of Spec. ed for your district, the Principal, and everyone else even remotely connected to your child. They are in the least, violating his IEP, and at worst, putting his life in jeopardy. If he falls ill, or worse, they'll clam up and claim no complaints were made. If these incidents continue, write them weekly, call another IEP meeting, anything that will get all of this on the record.

Sorry, but I'm so frustrated hearing all of this -ing crap against special needs students. Just last week, a good school district in Houston, one highly recommended to special needs families, was caught using aversives on non-verbal kids with autism. (cotton balls dipped in vinegar put in their mouths). One Mom offered school board members an opportunity to try it themselves. Funny, there were no takers.

It's like these kids are the last class of people that can be discriminated against legally! It's also why I chose to homeschool.

PS. Just read your post in the Special needs forum that you have hired an advocate. I wish you luck. Sometimes you can educate well-meaning people and they will work with you. Hope this is the case.

Last edited by LVKim8; 09-30-2011 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Updated post from OP

Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Odd. That's not how our IEP meetings go. We sit around a conference table and the chairs are all adult chairs. Since the conference table is oval, we aren't in a *you vs them* line up either.
Usually there's 10-20 + people at my ds ARD meetings, and one of me! Until I learned to bring in my "gang" advocates, dh, relatives, etc. And if the chair isn't suitable, say so. Just say I can't sit comfortably in this chair. They can at least treat you with the same commoun courtesy they would expect in return.

A few ARd meetinga ago, I was recovering from back surgery. It does state meetings can be held in a mutually convenient place, and to accomodate disabilities, etc (ok, so that's not the exact wording, the gist of it). I just told them I wasn't having dh push me in there in a wheelchair, and sit there in pain while they took their good old time...............I told them to come to my house! Well, "they" did, just two people, and wrapped it up quickly----when its their inconvenience, they find ways to mitigate it.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:01 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Some people just see every issue and every situation as a "you vs them" kind of situation.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:05 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Some people just see every issue and every situation as a "you vs them" kind of situation.
Not every school has IEPs set up the same way. It depends on the school, but the ones that have been adversarial or have attempted to take services away have sat us in a position not as equals (VA and FL). The schools that gave DS services and treated us like we were equals (OH and ND), we sat in a round table.

I certainly am not a you vs. them person, but I am when the school is not following the law or not giving my son the least restrictive environment.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Not every school has IEPs set up the same way. It depends on the school, but the ones that have been adversarial or have attempted to take services away have sat us in a position not as equals (VA and FL). The schools that gave DS services and treated us like we were equals (OH and ND), we sat in a round table.

I certainly am not a you vs. them person, but I am when the school is not following the law or not giving my son the least restrictive environment.
I was speaking broadly. In your specific case, I would assume that no matter where you were sat, if your child were entitled to certain legal services you would get them. If they weren't forthcoming, I suppose you would have to take legal action. If the law is on my side, I don't care where I sit.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
And some areas of the country have intervention programs that behave just like the person you are referencing described.

It does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting