Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:20 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times

Advertisements

I am on my ipod so I can't post links but I will quote it.

"As a 15 year old myself, I am absolutely disgusted with the behavior of most teenagers today.

Instead of studying, almost all they do is waste time and smoke reefer with their stupid skater buddies. They listen to the trashiest "music" (i.e., Lady GAGa, Little wayne, and Nicky Minage vs Heifetz, Rubenstein, Kogan, and Oistrakh) and read the trashiest "books" (Harry Potter and Twilight vs Crime and Punishment and The Red Badge of Courage), play the most awful games (Gears of War and Halo vs Chess and Weiqi), and emphasize sport and friendship over a good education. Furthermore, the lot of them not only lack discipline, but completely lack the skill of logical deduction. They worry about worthless inanties such as which clothing store to shop at instead of worrying about their study habits. In public schools, most of them become sexually active at fourteen (or younger!)! To top it off, the kind of mathematics they do is, frankly, baby work. Advanced classes mean nothing, they are still too easy. Plus there is too large an emphasis on "individuality" and "diversity" when that means nothing inside a classroom or job.

Will someone please explain to me why teenagers are so pathetic these days? I am dying for an answer."

As a teen I have words for this person lol! what would guys say to this? any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 06:26 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
I would say.. "And you forgot to add - 'Get Off My Lawn!!'".

Sounds just like my teenage years, ahem, 30 odd years ago. Nothing much has changed, really.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:31 PM

572 posts, read 1,298,790 times
ROTFLMAO... I'm 35, I LOVE Harry Potter, and I found War and Peace, dreadfully boring. Sounds like the academic snobs I hated as a teenager. I'm all for being intelligent, but I'm opposed to looking down your nose at someone for various differences in taste.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 PM

I completley agree, I mean for this person to try and claim every teen is the same is ridiculous. Especially if you don't know what a person's circumstances are....

Old 09-24-2011, 06:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Sounds just like my teenage years, ahem, 30 odd years ago. Nothing much has changed, really.
I was thinking the same thing. As far as I can see, teens haven't changed much over generations. They just dress differently.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Personally, I have absolutely NO problems with kids who skateboard.

Skateboarding is not a crime.

And "smoke reefer" is incorrect. (Kids today! ) The reefer is the joint itself. Somke pot, smoke grass, smoke weed, even smoke dope would all be more acceptable to any respectable pothead from the 60's.

So I've heard.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Personally, I have absolutely NO problems with kids who skateboard.

Skateboarding is not a crime.

And "smoke reefer" is incorrect. The reefer is the joint itself. Somke pot, smoke grass, smoke weed, even smoke dope would all be more acceptable to any respectable pothead from the 60's.

So I've heard.

haha, I just found that really funny! idk why though" to any respectable pothead" and yes skateboarding not a crime by any means!

Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
It's nice to know that today's teenagers value diversity and individuality; it gives that person the freedom to be a '15 year old who is disgusted by most teenagers'. Otherwise we'd have to beat him/her up for voicing their supposed individuality.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,340 times
We have a mix of great, responsible, respectful teens in our 'hood, as well, the lil a-holes I really want to plow over, but would never do. lol I'm 36, I respected my elders as a teen, sometimes not my Mom, &, she let me know. lol I instill respect in my kids today. Maybe it's just more in Utah, the kids, & people, in general, just walking in front of cars in parking lots, streets, highways, not looking, expecting the cars to all stop. I do, but, when I'm on foot, I at least LOOK for traffic. I witnessed here a family w/ twin boys that looked maybe 3, who just walked into 'traffic' in a parking lot. I herd my kids to hurry up. Cars can do more damage. =P No matter who's 'right'.

I just hate disrespect. I respected my elders, even if I was 'right' & they were 'wrong'. lol Just my thoughts.

I think some jackhole teens give the majority a bad name, &, that's sad. The majority needs to tell the jackholes they aren't cool, most think they are pathetic. lol We took our kids & dogs for a walk & had 2 skateboarder wannabe's riding w/ us, & trying to 'talk to us'. I laughed at them, & told them I was calling the cops (I didn't, just to get the pathetic duo away from us, we live in a very non wannabe 'hood. lol) .

Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I am on my ipod so I can't post links but I will quote it.

"As a 15 year old myself, I am absolutely disgusted with the behavior of most teenagers today.

Instead of studying, almost all they do is waste time and smoke reefer with their stupid skater buddies. They listen to the trashiest "music" (i.e., Lady GAGa, Little wayne, and Nicky Minage vs Heifetz, Rubenstein, Kogan, and Oistrakh) and read the trashiest "books" (Harry Potter and Twilight vs Crime and Punishment and The Red Badge of Courage), play the most awful games (Gears of War and Halo vs Chess and Weiqi), and emphasize sport and friendship over a good education. Furthermore, the lot of them not only lack discipline, but completely lack the skill of logical deduction. They worry about worthless inanties such as which clothing store to shop at instead of worrying about their study habits. In public schools, most of them become sexually active at fourteen (or younger!)! To top it off, the kind of mathematics they do is, frankly, baby work. Advanced classes mean nothing, they are still too easy. Plus there is too large an emphasis on "individuality" and "diversity" when that means nothing inside a classroom or job.

Will someone please explain to me why teenagers are so pathetic these days? I am dying for an answer."

As a teen I have words for this person lol! what would guys say to this? any thoughts
Well, it's no stupider or more judgmental than some of the posts about evil, disrespectful children that I've seen on this and other related boards. At least the person quoted can claim the ignorance and inexperience of youth.

Last edited by Aconite; 09-25-2011 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting