Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
All of the friends on their accounts are students from their school, kids they know from activities, etc. They don't have people on their facebook they don't know personally.

I think that this is the key to safety on FB--to really know your "friends." I have 120 friends. About a third of those are family. Even though some of the kids posts can seem over the top to us, at least they are letting us into their world. The daughter of one of my best friends, had her fiancée "friend" me, she told him that she wanted him to know the people who were most important to her. We actually have a bit in common--being alums of the same University. I read the young people's posts --but only like or comment when it is appropriate for an adult to invade their world. If your children are on FB, you really should be on their friend list. You can read and be unobtrusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post

I think that this is the key to safety on FB--to really know your "friends." I have 120 friends. About a third of those are family. Even though some of the kids posts can seem over the top to us, at least they are letting us into their world. The daughter of one of my best friends, had her fiancée "friend" me, she told him that she wanted him to know the people who were most important to her. We actually have a bit in common--being alums of the same University. I read the young people's posts --but only like or comment when it is appropriate for an adult to invade their world. If your children are on FB, you really should be on their friend list. You can read and be unobtrusive.
Agreed. I have lots of my kids friends on my friends list. I only enter their world when it is appropriate for a parent to do so. I comment on their football/band stuff because parents are cool in that world. I comment on their academic successes, wish them a happy birthday, etc...I stay out of the drama.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
First of all, those "friends" aren't always who they say they are. Secondly, they know which stores your daughter shops in and they even know what car she's driving. Why? Because she's posted all of that on FB
But couldn't someone find those things out just by watching a person? There are 2,200 kids at DD's high school, obviously people can find out what car she drives by watching her in the parking lot or figure out where she shops at by looking at her clothes.

I guess what I'm saying is that kids can give away information (like what kind of car my daughter drives... oh how horrible it would be if someone figured that out! Or OMG what if they found out she was watching American Idol?) just by talking at school.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That's true. But when my kids talk to a random teacher or a volunteer helping out in the school, there are plenty of other people around. Plus, my kids can actually see who they are talking to. And the person they are talking to is accountable for what they say to my kid.

On FB, your child might think she is talking to Suzy but she might actually be talking to Suzy's mom or (?). Maybe that's a big deal and maybe it's not.
I don't think it's a big deal and I think you are causing yourself undue stress. There are lots of people that you don't know who know where you live, who lives in your home, what time you come and go, where you work, etc. Your neighbors! I bet you are not afraid one of them will hurt your DD.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 AM

103 posts, read 102,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I feel sorry for her kids when they become teenagers. Micromanaging your kids when they're little means that kids won't develop the emotional skills they will later need to navigate their own world.

(The older I become, the more I'm thankful that I grew up with parents who didn't know what we were doing every second of our lives.)

Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
My daughter is 11 and has been bugging us for an account. We said no because the TOS requires her to be 13. Most of her friends have accounts, but post under a funny name, don't give their personal info (address, dob), etc. When she does have one, we will have the password and will be her "fb friends" so we can see her wall, at least for quite a while.
Why don't you say no because Facebook is dangerous? Because it's a major tool for data-mining? Because it's just another device for sheeple?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Just another way for kids to stay in touch. Does anyone NEED facebook, no, but I guess as parents it's nice to give kids some WANTS sometimes too .

Our kids use facebook responsibly. We have 3 teenagers and we have NEVER had an issue with facebook. A lot of it comes down to the kids and their friends and they have good friends.

They also use it for keeping up on practice changes and information for various activities. It's quite useful.

I guess I just don't understand why parents make such a big deal over anything that is new or things they didn't have as kids. I am sure your parents were saying the same thing when you wanted a telephone in your room...

It doesn't matter that you've had no "issues" with Facebook. It is a data-mining tool, so dangerous in fact that many people are beginning to realize that and saying no way.

Your analogy to a telephone in your room is way off base, not even close.

It really is a shame that so many parents feel they have to line up with the other sheeple parents and do as they do.

You all may think FB is harmless and will keep your kids from hating you for saying no, but you have no idea what you're exposing your kids and your pc and your lives to by willing participating in something that nefarious.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post

There is NO safe way to use Facebook.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizela View Post
It doesn't matter that you've had no "issues" with Facebook. It is a data-mining tool, so dangerous in fact that many people are beginning to realize that and saying no way.

It really is a shame that so many parents feel they have to line up with the other sheeple parents and do as they do.

You all may think FB is harmless and will keep your kids from hating you for saying no, but you have no idea what you're exposing your kids and your pc and your lives to by willing participating in something that nefarious.
Um...ok

Old 09-28-2011, 04:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizela View Post

LOL

OK. So what is so "nefarious" about data mining? Something that has been occurring for DECADES before Mark Zuckerburg was even a glint in his daddy's eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting