Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure whether to place this in education or parenting, but I think it falls under parenting better, so here goes...

Do you think it wiser to keep your child in a so-so school that is in a very nice upper-class neighborhood or to transfer the child to a better school which happens to be in a not-so-great/low-income neighborhood?

Let me explain a little more:

The so-so school which is in a very nice neighborhood has 40 - 47 students per classroom (up 11 - 13 from last year), major budget issues (they had to lay off 8 teachers and are still looking for more things to cut), and an inability to give students full schedules (students have excessive "free periods" due to lack of teachers and classes filled beyond max. capacity). They use a block schedule (which personally we do not like, especially under these budget circumstances) and they have had to drop all programs aside from athletics, drama and choir (our child is not interested in pursuing any of those electives). The school itself feels old and depressing, except during football season - the school has one of the best (possibly the best, I dunno, I really don't pay attention to high school sports) high school football teams in the area. When it's not football season, though, the school is pretty dead-feeling.

The better school has a vast array of electives and programs - many of which our son is interested in pursuing, has more average sized classes (they are in the mid-thirties), this school has chosen to lay off admin and classified staff rather than teachers (positions such as office help and cafeteria workers, janitor/etc.) to deal with lesser budgetary issues.... BUT the school is in a lower-income not-so-nice area. I wouldn't really want my child walking or riding his bike to school like he does now. The area around the school just doesn't feel safe to me. Once you get inside the school, it's a great space and feels welcoming and fine, but outside the school it feels different.

Which is better?

I also worry that... living in the nicer area and transferring into the lower-income school from a more affluent school, our child might be bullied or picked-on. He might have a lot more in the way of opportunities at the school and programs he can take advantage of, but he might be miserable due to the student population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Need more info.

How well are the schools doing on the state or other objective (at least in theory) tests? If they are similar at least I would go with ever which your son likes more (sounds like the lower SES school), but if they are not I would go with the one with better test scores.

Also, would you have to live in the not as nice area? Or can you live in the nice neighborhood and just elect to send your son to the other school?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM

Why go with the better test scores? I've always been curious about that.

We can do what's called an out-of-district transfer, so we would not have to live in that school area.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
What grade is this for? I am pretty sure you have mentioned it on other posts. I just can't remember right now.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 PM

Just checked on the district websites that show test results for the state mandated assessment tests. The lower-income school actually improved in reading by 22% and science by 12% but stayed the same in math. Their writing score shot up by 20%. The higher income school actually fell in reading and math both by 4% and saw no change in science. Their writing scores fell by 7%.

Really though I don't place a lot of value on these test scores. They don't speak for my child, and they might only show that the teachers at the school are pressured to teach for the tests.

10th grade.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Just checked on the district websites that show test results for the state mandated assessment tests. The lower-income school actually improved in reading by 22% and science by 12% but stayed the same in math. The higher income school actually fell in reading and math both by 4% and saw no change in science. Their writing scores fell by 7%.

Really though I don't place a lot of value on these test scores. They don't speak for my child, and they might only show that the teachers at the school are pressured to teach for the tests.

10th grade.
Test scores can be used as a very broad way to equate overall student achievement but since it is a high school the far better measure for would be college acceptance rates.

You may want to call the guidance offices of each and ask what they are.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
If he is in High School and has a lot of free periods, is he going to get enough credits to graduate on time?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I also worry that... living in the nicer area and transferring into the lower-income school from a more affluent school, our child might be bullied or picked-on. He might have a lot more in the way of opportunities at the school and programs he can take advantage of, but he might be miserable due to the student population.
IMO a poor child attending an affluent school is more likely to be picked on than an upper middle class child attending a poorer school.

The so-so school in the upper middle class neighborhood isn't the best option for children whose parents are working class or middle class. The children will just receive a so-so education and socially will never really fit in economically. However, children from any income bracket would benefit from attending a better school in a lower income district because 1) the schools are better; and 2) keeping up with the Jones is out of the equation. If the situation were reversed and the better school was in the upper middle class school district, I'd say go with that. Guess that means that bottom line the better school school wins regardless. But if all schools are equal, the choice should be made to best match the family's ability to fit in financially----as in afford for their child to participate in activities and interests of their peers. If they can't afford to pay for activites and interests their classmates enjoy, they will have a difficult time fitting in. I only have this opinion because it's very hard for the less fortunate who attend the most affluent districts in my region; whereas, affluent children can more easily adapt and fit in anywhere if they aren't cocky and flashy about their families' financial status.

Oh, and I forgot to add, never pick a school because it has the best football team. Totally not a reason to pick a school unless your kid is a star quarterback looking for scholarships.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 PM

613 posts, read 991,534 times
Wow, that's a tough spot. I'm guessing since you did not mention private school, it is not an option. The bullying aspect could, and most likely would, have a huge impact on your son. How likely do you think it is that he would be bullied? If you think it's more likely than not, I don't think I would consider it.

How does your son feel about it? What is his opinion? Is it possible for him to do the activities he enjoys on leagues outside of school and is that affordable?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
I would go with the better school in the lower income area. Check the crime stats for that area. Is it a lot of gang graffiti and activity, liquor stores, robberies and murders? Or is it just shabby looking? Because lower income neighborhoods don't necessarily equal crime.

As far as the bullying aspect, I do agree with the PP that a child from that school going to your son's current school would probably face more than he would face transferring to that school. Unless your son plans on walking around with a chip on his shoulder, he probably has nothing to worry about.

Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting