U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:24 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,032,061 times

Advertisements

One thing I know 4 year olds love to do is play in sand and water. Since having sand indoors is not always possible, use rice or beans. Fill a large flat container and include funnels, measuring cups, empty plastic bottles, etc.. Same items can be used for water play in the tub. These activities kept my 4 year old happy for the longest time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 AM

28,041 posts, read 19,725,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
Thank you all so much for the great ideas! Penguin, My son loves Team Oomizoomi too and recently asked to be enrolled in the science enrichment at school, but it's more $$ than we can afford on top of the writing enrichment and tuition, for goodness' sake so these activities will appeal to his love of science. Fort is something we can do as soon as buy our own home which will be in the near future.
No snark intended, but why can't you build him a fort in your rented home?

All you need is a few blankets, some strategically placed furniture and voila!

I also agree with the "art fort" idea and the DVD idea.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:44 AM

3,784 posts, read 7,193,379 times
I saw a lot of good ideas in this thread. I have just one: if there's no lightning, let him play outside in the rain. It won't hurt him.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:31 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,426,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I saw a lot of good ideas in this thread. I have just one: if there's no lightning, let him play outside in the rain. It won't hurt him.
I used to send mine outside with a bar of soap and tell them, "Bath time!"

They loved it.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,834,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
And then have snuggly dry clothes, special hot chocolate, and a pile of good books waiting for him when he comes in.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:19 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,356,492 times
My DD is a chatterbox. I don't think she has stopped talking to even take a breath since she was born. She was a chatterer even as a newborn. I have no problem telling her to be quiet now because she does need to learn how to control it.

Anyways, I see a lot of good suggestions. I also let her create stories out of things in the house. Then she practices for a while before she shows me the story she made up with all of the props.

I also sent her on scavenger hunts. I would give her a list and have her find everything on the list and bring them back to me. Before she could read, I would either draw pictures or use her Memory game cards (stuffed bear, ball, apple, etc) and tell her to find those objects. Then he can help clean up by putting it all back where he found it.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:47 PM

1,239 posts, read 1,655,701 times
I have an active 3 year old.

1. Let him play outside in the rain!
2. magformers....very cool magnetic building shapes. I'm amazed at the things my son can build.
3. Lego sets....the bigger they are, they longer they take to assemble
4. Do you have an iPad??? My kids love to play with it. We bought a refurbished 1st generation.
5. Indoor playground (although lots of germs)

Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,752,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No snark intended, but why can't you build him a fort in your rented home?

All you need is a few blankets, some strategically placed furniture and voila!

I also agree with the "art fort" idea and the DVD idea.
My kids love to build forts under the dinner table.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,356,492 times
I just wanted to tell you about the project my very active chatterbox of a 6 year old is in the middle of. This week we were at Sam's club and noticed that the stack of boxes they keep near the register was larger than normal. We asked if we could have a few and they just tossed them in the cart. So far, she has created a 2 story Barbie house which includes doors that she cut out and a stair case she bulit from scratch. She has made furniture for the house and colored the whole thing. Now she is taking the rest of the boxes and building a giant box which she calls her "giant life size Barbie house". She is having so much fun with it and is getting really creative. The best thing about it is that she is creating a space where she can go to be more creative and get some of the chatterbox out without us going nuts from the non-stop talking.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,047,127 times
Something came to mind while my husband and I watched football this afternoon and the kids got antsy. Not sciencey, but: beach balls! Get a beach ball or similar light ball, roll or throw it, get him to retrieve it. Works especially well if you can park yourself on the sofa in the corner of a large livingroom or hallway. You can watch TV or read a book- he'll bring you the ball, you toss it away, he brings it again. My kids did that for a couple of hours this afternoon and had great fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or