U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 PM

2,267 posts, read 5,467,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No snark intended, but why can't you build him a fort in your rented home?
I bet she was thinking of a tree fort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 6,391,372 times
To add something a little different....it's what we call discovery bottles. You can pay a pretty penny for them in science stores or teacher stores. Or you can make your own version much cheaper using empty water or soda bottles and sealing them with hot glue once you fill them.

- Fill about 1/3 way with some flour, then add small things that will be a challenge to find while turning the bottle over and over. Add in some small silver things like a paper clip or safety pin. Also add in white items like a piece of chalk, crayon, board game piece, button, marble or straw. Every time playing with it is different.

- Fill about 2/3 full with salt (or sand) and add small things made out of metal. Paper clips, safety pins, keys, small nails or screws. Use a magnet wand to try to bring the things to the surface.

- Mix a little blue food coloring with some karo syrup, then pour it in and add some large sequin pieces or glitter. As they turn the bottle sideways the syrup slowly moves around, bringing the sequins/glitter with it.

- Pour in water to about an inch deep, then add a liberal amount of dish detergent that has color to it. Shaking the bottle fills it completely with bubbles and after a time the bubbles all settle back down in the water and you can do it all over again.

- Fill the bottle with blue colored water until it is about 1/3 full then aid oil until it's half full. The bottle can be shaken until it looks like the two have mixed and then watch them separate again.

- Put in some styrofoam peanut pieces and tissue paper pieces and rub the bottle against the head to create static.

- Get some super cheap hair gel (clear or lightly colored) and fill it about half full then add something that is somewhat heavy like marbles, rocks or magnets and watch them try to make their way through the gel.

- You can make color bottles by adding in only things of one color to each bottle. Put in things like straws, feathers, crayons, paint brushes, game pieces, marbles and so on.

- You can make holiday bottles as well. Use small things decorated with the theme and some generic things that fit the color of the holiday. For instance, for Halloween, use orange, black, white and yellow pipe cleaners, pom poms, buttons, ribbon, straws, sequins or crepe/tissue/construction paper pieces and then add in some Halloween erasers, foam shapes or whatever is small enough to fit.

These are a blast to make and fun to use over and over.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:34 AM

27,976 posts, read 19,240,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
My kids love to build forts under the dinner table.
My boys love forts! It is one thing that will keep them busy for hours. The dinner table is a popular one here too. Sometimes, I will rearrange the living furniture to accommodate them too.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 AM

27,976 posts, read 19,240,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I bet she was thinking of a tree fort.
I bet you are right!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 AM

970 posts, read 1,712,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
To add something a little different....it's what we call discovery bottles. You can pay a pretty penny for them in science stores or teacher stores. Or you can make your own version much cheaper using empty water or soda bottles and sealing them with hot glue once you fill them.
Some of those sound so interesting I am tempted to do them for myself.

Oh, and I second whoever said cooking. Cooking is a great thing to do on a rainy day. Not only do you distract your child but you also get something done chore-wise at the same time.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 51,787,646 times
One of the best things you can do for your child is to let them get bored and figure out for themselves things they can do. It is not good to play with your child all the time. Have games, art supplies, blocks, legos, etc. on hand but let them play on their own.

I also agree that having a friend over is a great idea and then let THEM come up with things to do without you.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 5,796,810 times
Make a warm bubble bath and fill the tub up with cool stuff like plastic dolls, tupperware and whatever might be fun.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 PM

18,856 posts, read 29,991,133 times
Get a dog, or a cat, or both. Kids love to play with pets, they feed them, brush them, play with them.

Get a small tent, and go camping in the family room, you need a flashlight, toys, and pretend to be out camping. Have hot dogs for lunch.

Make a giant lego house.

Dance.

Play on computer.

Watch DVD

Help do laundry, make beds, fold clothes, vacuum. Organize toys. Read books.

Yes, and a long bath with lots of toys.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM

5,925 posts, read 12,576,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My boys love forts! It is one thing that will keep them busy for hours. The dinner table is a popular one here too. Sometimes, I will rearrange the living furniture to accommodate them too.
We've done that, too. Two couches arranged just so are perfect for building a sheet fort...

Old 06-11-2017, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 193 times
My cousin is very active so we always play hide in seek with him. He loves it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or