U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:00 PM

73,193 posts, read 64,754,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
Thank you all so much for the great ideas! Penguin, My son loves Team Oomizoomi too and recently asked to be enrolled in the science enrichment at school, but it's more $$ than we can afford on top of the writing enrichment and tuition, for goodness' sake so these activities will appeal to his love of science. Fort is something we can do as soon as buy our own home which will be in the near future.
No, not an outdoor fort; a blanket fort. Or let him build a fort out of big appliance boxes, cardboard boxes of all sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 11:15 PM

42,342 posts, read 50,050,181 times
Maybe he's talking to you all day long bc he didn't see you all week (when you were working long hours) and wants to interact with you more.

Me and my 5 yo boy...well, he likes to do workouts (so we do month challenges or modified p90x). He also loves making lego sets. I have made scavenger hunts for him before, leaving clues all around the house. We play video games together. He loves playing cards and board games and the only way we could teach him to be a good loser was playing over and over and stressing that sometimes he loses and sometimes we lose (he's quite a good card player now and we really do lose).
Of course, he has his reading and multiplication workbooks and we're having him read five books a week (based on the theme HE chooses each week). Based on the reading material, I have made worksheets for those.
Our home is big enough that he and the 2 year old do ride their vehicles throughout the downstairs. They can get going pretty fast. And we can throw a ball or practice some soccer moves inside when the weather is bad.
Of course, there are the chores that must be done. Dogs to be fed and watered, poop to be picked up. Dusting. Vacuuming.

Last Sunday I took him to the animal shelter. He donated 10 dollars "so that the dogs and cats there could have food and water."

I also like to teach him how to do stuff. How to use tools, how to fix something, how to replaster something, how to cook, etc.

Then, eventually, I also explain to him that it's good for his brain to be bored and create his own independent fun with his toys and building blocks and other things. After a long school year, summer is supposed to be down time, and besides his swimming and martial arts, I want him to take time to chill.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:39 AM

1,953 posts, read 1,055,642 times
You absolutely don't have to all stay inside when it rains. First of all, in summer when the rain is warm and not too string your son can run around and play outside in his swimwear. He will have a blast...

If the rain is heavy or it is cold, you still have options outside of the house. You can take him to Barnes & Nobles store to play and look at the books. Any kids' play areas would work well but all of them charge some money. Kids museums or museums with programming for kids would also work well. Our zoo has an inside pavilion with some snakes and tropical insects where kids like to hang out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or