Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM

310 posts, read 1,356,571 times

Advertisements

Parents: What is your opinion?

Is it ever okay to kick out a minor? Would you ever kick out your teenager for any reason at all? Is it legal?

I ask this because I was a victim of it. Yes I was a trouble maker, but had good reason to rebel, and in retrospect, I do not think I was THAT out of control to deserve being thrown out at age 17. For a teen to get off of the school bus, and come home to find the door of their home locked, not having anywhere else to go, is wrong to me. Is this an okay way to discipline your child? What would it take for you to "reach your limit" and when you did reach that point, would you try to find alternative help first?

I have my own kids now and they are young, but when I look at them I cannot imagine one day telling them to get out of their safe haven, their home just for talking back, coming home past curfew, being homosexual, or just plain not living up to their expectations. Shouldn't there be acceptance for mistakes. I realize you shouldn't 'enable' bad behavior and maybe parents don't know where to turn, but is that really an excuse for the price that kid will have to pay? When you kick them out like that, and I'm speaking from experience, that child goes through a lot. They were already lost before but now what are they supposed to do?

This of course all depends on each individual circumstance and there are about a million different ways it could go. In my situation, I suffered from a substantial amount of emotional abuse due to the fact that my mother allowed our dog to attack me multiple times. It knew it was above me. Add that along to some other things, the fact that my mom probably has some major psychological issues, plus her kicking me out. I'm 26 and I am still dealing with feelings of resentment, anger, abandonment. It's awful and I would never wish this on my kids. I believe that a parent's job doesn't end at age 18. Unfortunately, my mom thought otherwise and there are many other teens who are given up on. You can read more about my story in more detail here on the forum if interested. There are also some great websites on the internet that go into depth on this subject. Thought it would be a great discussion topic.

If you have had this happen to you or you know someone who had it happen to them, please feel free to share your story. Opinions welcome, but please try to keep this positive, no trolling. Thank you!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
It would take a whole lot for me to even consider kicking my children out of the house. I would do so if he were a drug dealer or gang member.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
No.

There are so many other options (including finding temporary housing, sending them to a "boot camp" etc) besides kicking them out.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:28 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
I would definitely boot my kid and consider it doing him or her a favor. My goal is to raise responsible people.

My kids are small. My *hope* is that by raising them to understand the relationship between actions and consequences NOW, I will never be in that situation. But if my child selfishly disregarded the household rules consistently, yah I would look at whether or not they ought to continue to get a free ride.

That said, the child would know full well that that option was being considered and given an opportunity to straighten up and fly right. But there is no way I would enable a child to engage in destructive or dangerous behavior on my dime. And that is the kind of behavior that would trigger a conversation about them supporting their own selves if they want to engage in that kind of behavior.

It is impossible to say whether or not your Mom as acting appropriately. But if you are experiencing emotional distress, I would think therapy might be useful to you.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times
It doesn't matter if it is "okay" or not..
It's not legal.
You cannot legally kick someone out under the age of 18.
Plain and simple.

If your child is under 18 they are your responsibility and their behavior is as well, you either find some way to deal with it or send them somewhere, but out on the streets is not an option.

The day they turn 18, out they can go but before that no way in hell is it legal.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would definitely boot my kid and consider it doing him or her a favor. My goal is to raise responsible people.

My kids are small. My *hope* is that by raising them to understand the relationship between actions and consequences NOW, I will never be in that situation. But if my child selfishly disregarded the household rules consistently, yah I would look at whether or not they ought to continue to get a free ride.

That said, the child would know full well that that option was being considered and given an opportunity to straighten up and fly right. But there is no way I would enable a child to engage in destructive or dangerous behavior on my dime. And that is the kind of behavior that would trigger a conversation about them supporting their own selves if they want to engage in that kind of behavior.

It is impossible to say whether or not your Mom as acting appropriately. But if you are experiencing emotional distress, I would think therapy might be useful to you.
This type of approach may work for immediate, short term results but does a lot of damage in the long run. I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
(((((kiwifruit2)))))

One of my son's friends was kicked out at 17 when he was only halfway through his senior year.

He lived with us for 6 months. During that time, I got to see how his parents became so frustrated with him.

But they shouldn't have kicked him out. It was their job to parent their son. They failed as parents and as humans.

To answer your question about illegality, it is illegal to kick out a minor.

Parents are required by law to provide "food, clothing, shelter, and medical care" to their minor children.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Two different anecdotes.

My brother was into drugs. Did drugs in the house. Completely ignored my parents' attempts at assistance, negotiation, discipline. They did everything that they could think of. My parents were never abusive a day in their lives. But in typical teenaged know it all, he did not have to listen to them. Parents finally said fine. You are old enough to decide to do drugs and live the fast life. Then you are old enough to be on your own. Bye bye. Whhooooaaaa it is a whole lot harder to buy drugs when you are paying rent. He had to straighten himself out because no one was there to enable him.

Contrast that with a distant cousin. She started engaging in dangerous behavior at a young age; drinking, slutting... Mom and Dad wrung their hands and said Oh No What Do We Do?? They sent her to counseling; she came back and resumed her previous behavior. If there was a program, she went to it. Fifteen years later, she is still living in her parent's home, drinking herself slowly to death. They think that they are not enabling her because they don't buy her alcohol. But they cannot prevent her from getting it. Who is responsible for this woman's actions? She sure doesn't think she is.

Obviously these are only two different stories. Life is full of stories.

We owe our children. When we bring them into the world, we owe them. But we owe them so much more than just food and clothing. We owe them real world understanding. One thing that every human beign needs to understand is that they must take responsibility for their actions and the consequences thereof.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
We owe our children. When we bring them into the world, we owe them. But we owe them so much more than just food and clothing. We owe them real world understanding. One thing that every human beign needs to understand is that they must take responsibility for their actions and the consequences thereof.
It's still against the law to throw a minor into the streets.

Until they are legally adults, you need to find more creative ways to teach them world understanding and how to take responsibility for their actions.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,669,648 times
No
But on the other hand you have a responsibility not to enable them.
Here is where the problem lies.
A drug consuming minor will live in his room with two sets of sweats, sheets and a blanket. Meals with the family, responsibility to jobs and school.
Free to leave if it is not acceptable but no "kicking" out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.