U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 04:34 AM

15,358 posts, read 12,854,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
My interpretation.

BTW, your whole "14 and 15 year old get married" argument is pretty volatile IMO. No, I wouldn't think that is OK, and no that is not backpeddling. For one thing, it lacks common sense.

And no, didn't you get the memo? I live in Mayberry. Please read the "Glee" thread.
I literally have NO IDEA what you are talking about. I never mentioned 14 and 15 year olds getting married.

I suspect that people are people everywhere even where ever it is you live and that means they disagree. On the other hand your bizarre "interpretation" that we who disagree with you are being "volatile" and your "interpretation" that your conservative christian status matters to anyone here may mean that people who would disagree with you would just as soon avoid you. I can see how a simple disagreement escalates quickly in your presence into a religious debate. Super fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 AM

11,604 posts, read 19,459,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Pregnancy is not the only consequence of intercourse at 14,a girls reputation if she sleeps around even with protection,also exposing her still developing body to HPV,STD's can have dire health risks.Can a 14 yr old really make informed choices on such big issues??I rather they think about what to wear for homecoming or when to sign up for the PSAT! There is plenty of time ahead of them for all the sex they desire but jumping from A to Z sex wise will not serve them well in life!! Don't rush through childhood to get to adulthood...enjoy all stages of your life!!
She's 19 not 14. I think the average 19 year old is capable of making those decisions.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,346,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
She's 19 not 14. I think the average 19 year old is capable of making those decisions.
Sorry confused thread with other...yes I agree at 19 she is much more capable.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 AM

3,967 posts, read 5,589,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinbranson View Post
yeah, right.

Once the barn door is open, honey. Ain't no way you're gonna keep those horses in.

20yrsinbranson
:d

Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,702,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
WOW- I had no idea this many would reply. I appreciate all of the positive and negative responses- she is very involved in school and I doubt she has time for sex every day -she said once or twice a week- No I don't like it but it is her life and she is being responsible. I know it isn't reality these days to wait until marriage- She of course thinks this is her life partner and i doubt it is but it could be-you never know. I am proud that we have a relationship that she can tell me- I would have never told my mother back in the 80's....
I do think it's great that you and your daughter have such good communication with one another, however..

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see myself ever having a conversation like that (how often? ) with my grown, college aged kids. That's just way TMI, IMO.

In my view, sex is a private act between two consenting adults who (hopefully) care about each other. It isn't respectful to share private details about such a relationship with other people - even your own mom.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 AM

11,604 posts, read 19,459,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I do think it's great that you and your daughter have such good communication with one another, however..

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see myself ever having a conversation like that (how often? ) with my grown, college aged kids. That's just way TMI, IMO.

In my view, sex is a private act between two consenting adults who (hopefully) care about each other. It isn't respectful to share private details about such a relationship with other people - even your own mom.
I think that whether the daughter shared TMI depends on what she told her mother. I don't think that just discussing that she had sex is all that private whereas revealing all the little details would definitely be revealing TMI.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that whether the daughter shared TMI depends on what she told her mother. I don't think that just discussing that she had sex is all that private whereas revealing all the little details would definitely be revealing TMI.
Yes. It's the number of times per week that seems TMI to me.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 AM

897 posts, read 2,075,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

it was very brief-I asked do you still need BC- (that was me asking if she was having sex I guess in a discreet way) and she said Yes Mom we do it 1x or 2x a week- it wasn't like I was asking details or anything...I would rather know that than have a "Mom, I'm pregnant" and have no idea it was going on (which apparently seems to happen often these days). this is a forum and from the replies many people seem to have varying opinions ....

Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
it was very brief-I asked do you still need BC- (that was me asking if she was having sex I guess in a discreet way) and she said Yes Mom we do it 1x or 2x a week- it wasn't like I was asking details or anything...I would rather know that than have a "Mom, I'm pregnant" and have no idea it was going on (which apparently seems to happen often these days). this is a forum and from the replies many people seem to have varying opinions ....
That doesn't sound intrusive to me at all. Not all parents of adult children respect the boundaries that you clearly do, though.

At 19 she should be up to handling the BC logistics without parental help, but it's good that you checked with her to make sure of that.

Last edited by springfieldva; 10-06-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 AM

3,967 posts, read 5,589,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
See, this is exactly what I mean.

I guess biological urges are completely overwhelming to everyone.

Why should I even bother teaching my children morality, since they won't be able to control their urges?

What in heaven's name is wrong teaching my children to wait?

I know I can't put an exact number on it, but there is a big difference in the emotional maturity of a 23 year old vs. a 19 year old.

What I'm hearing from a lot of you is, well high school is not OK, but college is.

So am I expected to believe there is a huge difference between a 18 year old HS senior and a 19 y.o. college freshman?

I don't believe it.

You can teach them morality....but your morals will not always be your childrens. And the fact is almost not one waits for marriage, so it's better to teach them to be safe then bury your head in the sand in the belief they will be part of that 1% who waits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or