Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Snark or not, I find the attitude of "not my responsibility" pretty revolting.

I did not say that. I said there were good reasons for the OP not to take on the responsibility of taking care of the problem herself. I fully support her taking responsibility for speaking to Mom, school and/or law enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:54 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So let's leave it at that, take over for the Mom, and ... what if OP is not available one day? Let the kid get hit by a car?
I didn't say leave it at that. I am just saying that if I saw a boy that my son went to school with putting himself in harm's way, I'd help him!

As for the OP not being available one day, that isn't the issue. I'm saying IF OP is there and IF she sees him, she should help him. It sounds like other neighbors are around too. Maybe they can take turns helping him too.

I don't know. That's how it was when I was a kid and that is how my neighborhood is now.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:54 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
No, helping is helping your neighbors when you see they need assistance. I mean, honestly, is that much trouble to help the kid? Is it that much trouble to be an extra pair of eyes for someone that obviously needs the help?

Child care responsibility? REALLY? It's making sure a small child doesn't get hit by a car in his overzealousness.

Sorry but I completely disagree with this whole "not my responsibility" nonsense.

If the child is in imminent risk of being hit by a car and mom is at work, why can't OP (or another neighbor) simply help the kid?

My goodness. Cannot believe the concept is so foreign for some.
They are trying, hence this thread, to get ideas and suggestions.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
How to win friends and influence people!

Snark attack aside, because it does not solve the ultimate problem.

: smack: I can't believe the concept is so foreign to some people.

I think I will add an eye roll.
yes, this. Having a random mom grab him and physically prevent him from running off, doesn't solve the problem. The child either needs a dx, if his impulsivity is beyond his control, or he needs to be punished in whatever way will get him to stop doing it. He either has some kind of "special need" or he's a complete brat with no respect for his nanny. We have no way of knowing which it is.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I did not say that. I said there were good reasons for the OP not to take on the responsibility of taking care of the problem herself. I fully support her taking responsibility for speaking to Mom, school and/or law enforcement.
Yes, speak to mom, definitely. But in the interim, be a good person and help. Don't turn it into a legal thing. We have enough of that in this world. Some good old fashioned neighborly assistance is in order here.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, this.

And the other parents are trying to do the right thing. One concern regarding accepting responsibility for this child, who it would assume they don't know well, nor the family, is that if they intervene, and heaven forbid something bad happens, they will also be blamed. This is ultimately the responsibility of the parents, and by extension the nanny, and the school.
Oh gosh does this sentiment make me sad.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
They are trying, hence this thread, to get ideas and suggestions.
I think you and others are completely over-complicating the issue. "Call the cops! Call the school! Video Tape him!" Seriously? How about, help the cross the street?

Oh I know. Something bad may happen, so we don't want to put our necks on the line for anyone else. Sad.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
yes, this. Having a random mom grab him and physically prevent him from running off, doesn't solve the problem. The child either needs a dx, if his impulsivity is beyond his control, or he needs to be punished in whatever way will get him to stop doing it. He either has some kind of "special need" or he's a complete brat with no respect for his nanny. We have no way of knowing which it is.
Isn't he like 5? He needs to LEAR. WHEN you can control your body, THEN you can walk by yourself. Otherwise you take my hand to be safe. But the Nanny is definitely not doing her job standing all that way away watching him run into traffic.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
No, you don't. So better to err on the side of caring humanity and help the kid until something else can be done.

It solves the IMMEDIATE problem of the danger of the child being hit. I don't even understand the whole "he might have a delay" thing. Isn't that even MORE of a reason to help him? As for the nanny, I would tell mom about her inability to watch the child and protect him. Definitely.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Seriously? How about, help the cross the street?

Oh I know. Something bad may happen, so we don't want to put our necks on the line for anyone else. Sad.

Yes something bad might happen. And in this day and age, help can get you SUED.

I won't repeat how it does absolutely nothing to solve the underlying problem of a neglectful nanny since as far as you are concerned having a reason for being neglectful, since we don't know what might be going on in their little world, is just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting