Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:46 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
Here's one-- Don't tylenol up your sick kid and then send them to school or daycare. I understand that you have to work, but there are places that specifically care for sick children, sending them to school and daycare just propagates the illness, and makes healthy children sick.
Well now that's just SILLY Jojo. You might as well get a head start on sending your kids to daycare sick. Once they head to public school, you're going to have to. If they miss too many days, and you don't have the Dr's. note to back you up (depending on where you live), you are either going to end up in court with your child (for truancy) or your child will not be passed on to the next grade! Now mind you, this does not apply to all states/counties/districts, but it certainly applies to mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 03:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Well now that's just SILLY Jojo. You might as well get a head start on sending your kids to daycare sick. Once they head to public school, you're going to have to. If they miss too many days, and you don't have the Dr's. note to back you up (depending on where you live), you are either going to end up in court with your child (for truancy) or your child will not be passed on to the next grade! Now mind you, this does not apply to all states/counties/districts, but it certainly applies to mine.
A vomiting, diarrhea ridden child really should not be in school. I thought that was the type of sickness jojo was referencing.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:07 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
A vomiting, diarrhea ridden child really should not be in school. I thought that was the type of sickness jojo was referencing.
Yep, my son was puking this morning, someone sent their kid to school sick yesterday. Kid puked all over, the parent took over an hour to come get them.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:27 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Yeah, kind of a tongue-in-cheek statement there Mags. Sometimes, it's a d'd if you do, d'd if you don't situation.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:28 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yeah, kind of a tongue-in-cheek statement there Mags. Sometimes, it's a d'd if you do, d'd if you don't situation.
Yeah it is!

Old 10-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Ooops, I totally missed that mel! LOL

Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's what you got from her post? The thing you decided to glom onto?
Yep, i sure did!

Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
I wanted to try the rack first, then draw and quarter him.
oooOOooooOOO nice!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Yep, i sure did!
Then you apparently missed her very important (and relevant) point.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I have a lot more parenting mileage on me, and have had the advantage of knowing I've already raised some stellar citizens. So I have the luxury of being pretty secure in the knowledge that I can be a parent without screwing it up too badly. It makes it a lot easier to blow off critics.
Me, too. I used to get angry when some mother of a 4 year old here on CD told me my kids would end up as some sort of failures b/c of some of my parenting opinions. So many times I've said, "they're grown, they're doing fine, self supporting, blah, blah". Now it doesn't bother me as much, I think it's kind of funny that people who haven't passed down that part of the trail have such definite ideas about such issues as teen drinking, sex, driving, etc.

Quote:
Here's one-- Don't tylenol up your sick kid and then send them to school or daycare. I understand that you have to work, but there are places that specifically care for sick children, sending them to school and daycare just propagates the illness, and makes healthy children sick.
Agreed. It's not too good for the staff of the day care, either. DD the Younger used to work at a daycare, and one of the reasons she quit was she was always (and that's not much of an exaggeration) sick b/c she'd been around sick kids. Her daycare had a policy of not giving out sick time too liberally; one time she went to work and threw up on someone and then got sent home with sick pay. But if you just called in, they wouldn't give you the sick time w/o a dr's note.

A couple of other thoughts:

Agree with the "never say never". I always thought parents who bought their kids cars were overindulgent twits. . . .until my oldest learned how to drive. At the time she got her permit, we had three cars, were planning to sell one. We ended up keeping it; she drove it to school and her activities. It saved my sanity. When she took "her" car to college and DD the Younger got her license, DH bought himself a new car and "gave" her his. Again, kept us out of the mental hospital.

Do not base your parenting (too much anyway) on trying to do things differently from your parents. Understand your parents did the best they could under the circumstances. (I realize there are some exceptions, but I think these are few.) Don't say "My mom did "X", so I'm not going to do that to MY kids". Even if you did have a miserable childhood with awful parents, let it go. One of my neighbors wanted to teach her kids to be "assertive" b/c she felt she was brought up with a lack of assertiveness training. Her kids wer obnoxious when they were too little to handle so much assertiveness. Just one example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting