Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
1. Wall Issue.
+ Paint wall with satin, semi-gloss, or gloss finish. Or touch up with paint from left over.
+ Teach child about importance of writing only on proper medium: paper; and not walls.
+ Communicate and agree upon punishment for the offending child. Perhaps give child sponge and bucket to scrub wall; supervised for a set amount of time.
+ Let child stand and watch the paint dry dry ~ 5 minutes + 1 minute per age test their patience.

2. Drawer Issue.
+ Determine if there were dangerous materials accessible in those drawers; point out the danger to the child.
+ Teach child importance and rules about making a mess.
+ Communicate punishment; supervise child picking up and putting mess back.
+ Perhaps use this time to sort said mess into 3 piles: keep, donate, junk.

3. Toilet issue.
+ Clean the mess in terms of safety: not slippery, no disease / germ contamination.
+ Teach child importance and rules about making a mess.
+ Supervise child in mopping toilet floor; Let child stand and watch the floor dry ~ 5 minutes.

4. Muddy Boots issue.
+ Notify pertinent issue to offending mud tracker: location of mop and cleaning supplies.

5. Pot Roast issue.
+ Google alternate recipe in preparing said Pot Roast.

6. Introspect
+ Recall personal reasons in deciding to make babies with that man, and choosing to be stay at home mom.
I'm doing all that only when I get what I mentioned above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
I am not a SAHM, but would like to respond.
DH wouldn't even bat an eyelash if he came in to all of that. He would be more confused if it was clean, calm, food was ready, and a peaceful house. There is something about DD & I being alone in the house together that becomes chaos. Within a minute, it looks like a hurricane came through the house. No other combination does this. DH + me = clean, peaceful house; DD + DH = clean peaceful house; DD + me = complete and total chaos that sometimes include goo dripping from the ceiling and the couch turned upside down in a completely different room. This can happen in the 2 minutes it takes DH to walk to the mailbox and back. I really think I need to set up cameras and watch the videos to see how this happens.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I am not a SAHM, but would like to respond.
DH wouldn't even bat an eyelash if he came in to all of that. He would be more confused if it was clean, calm, food was ready, and a peaceful house. There is something about DD & I being alone in the house together that becomes chaos. Within a minute, it looks like a hurricane came through the house. No other combination does this. DH + me = clean, peaceful house; DD + DH = clean peaceful house; DD + me = complete and total chaos that sometimes include goo dripping from the ceiling and the couch turned upside down in a completely different room. This can happen in the 2 minutes it takes DH to walk to the mailbox and back. I really think I need to set up cameras and watch the videos to see how this happens.
Haha, nummy!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:17 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Never going to happen. DH loves my pot roast. It's slowly simmered, tender and delicious.

Everyone who is smiling gets a cookie.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:20 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
DewDrop, let's have a pot roast cook off! I am known far and wide for my pot roast. I tell people how dead easy it is, but they can never just leave the pot ALONE for hours and hours.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 AM

645 posts, read 988,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
While you stay home with the kids, one drew on the wall, and the other spent the afternoon emptying all the drawers in the house. On top of the fact someone clogged the toilet and created a lake in the bathroom. Your husband then walks in the door ~tracking in mud on your freshly mopped floor, because he forgot to wipe his shoes~, looks at the dinner you made, rolls his eyes and says "Pot roast again?". What do you do?

Been there, done that. Was a stay at home Dad for a spell. I don't care what you do for a living - except for perhaps disarming live bombs, extreme hazmat, or managing air traffic control at Hartsfield - being a stay at home parent is one of the most stressful things that one can do. Name any skill in any job - and the stay at home parent is employing these skills. Project management? Check. Accounting/budgeting/finance? Check. Engineering? Check. Operations? Check. Construction? Check. Education? Check. Medicine? Check. Logistics? Check. Social/Communications? Check. Marketing/Advertising? Check. Technology? Check....And on, and on, and on. (Now that I think of it, I also recall elements of arms disarmament, haz-mat, and air traffic control as well...).

I went back to work because I needed a break.

Listen - the right answer to the above scenario is this. Take the shoes off and leave at the front door or mudroom. Walk in and give wife a sympathetic look. Take control of the kids - "Kids! Listen up - everyone in the family room, pronto!" Fix wife a nice, strong, tasty cocktail or beverage. Have her sit down and put her feet up. Tell her dinner smells wonderful as usual.

Place towels (not the good ones...) and rags onto bathroom floor. Take kids outside to run around until they are exhausted.
Come in with kids and have them wash up. Have them set table for supper. Eat quickly and compliment meal. Get up and unclog that toilet. Get responsible kid to help with clean up. Get responsible kid to help with replacing items into appropriate drawers. Get responsible kid to help clean up marked up wall. Once done, help kids with baths, homework, clean up.

Help put kids to bed. Once done, fix self nice, strong cocktail. Allow wife to debrief. Give wife backrub and/or foot massage. Do humpty dance. Go to bed.

Repeat next day.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
I love you, Beans.

If my husband pulled that, I'd just send him over to Ivorytinkler's house.

(Just my attempt at mommy war humor. Don't shoot me.)

Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
DewDrop, let's have a pot roast cook off!
You're on!! Mine comes with potatoes and Amish egg noodles cooked in the gravy!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM

645 posts, read 988,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsterrufus View Post
i love you, beans.

If my husband pulled that, i'd just send him over to ivorytinkler's house.

(just my attempt at mommy war humor. Don't shoot me.)
:d

Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You're on!! Mine comes with potatoes and Amish egg noodles cooked in the gravy!
You aren;t from New England, are you? Potatoes are mashed separately in my house. Viva la difference. I would love to try noodles and potatoes cooked in the gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting