Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm safe in that assumption. And I'm pretty sure it applies to me and the vast majority of people.

And Margritte, the OP herself said that she was using the situation to teach her child a life lesson. So don't pick on me because I'm asking about that. I'm allowed, without having to justify it to you. So there. .
Never said you had to justify anything to me. Many here like to jump on the smallest scrap and turn it into a full steak of parenting failure. I don't know why, but I see it happen a lot here.

Teaching my kid not to dig his arse in public is a life lesson but it isn't wrought with future couch sessions with the therapist. Not all life lessons are Big Ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No need for a mea culpa. It's not indignation, just bewilderment. It's a very myopic POV, IMO.
But Mags, the OP has given zero info that the kid can't travel for an hour at a time. And I don't think it's a big deal. Who's it a big deal for, if they don't have any actual issue?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
But Mags, the OP has given zero info that the kid can't travel for an hour at a time. And I don't think it's a big deal. Who's it a big deal for, if they don't have any actual issue?
I'll repost from a few pages ago:

Quote:
Quite honestly, I don't think everything I decide or do with/for my children has to have a Very Special Lesson attached to it. LOL But that's just me. I agree with what you are saying mind you, but I don't think you should necessarily have to defend your decision with a Special Lesson.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Yes ;when i was 5 we took our first field trip. It was a trai ride tot eh next city and back.Good time was had by all.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus
Where did I do that? I am talking about the ONE issue. It's the OP herself who's passing it off as a lesson on how not to go along with the crowd, which I can only assume she's intending to have long term impact.If you think this is just one minor decision, then perhaps you should tell it to the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Well, you shouldn't assume things.
Listen, you're the one who said this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero
On this we must disagree. I think he's learning not to go along with the crowd, just because everyone else is. Our conversation involved the length of the trip (longer than the trip to Grandma's) and how much time he would spend at the farm (about the same as watching his brother's soccer match) and what we could be doing instead. I'm telling you, he learned something today from that conversation ....think and not just accept "because".

I will tell you that the majority of Moms in the class are unhappy about the long trip. Some are going to drive it themselves instead of putting their kid on the bus. But everyone else is sending their kid...even though they think it's crazy. Food for thought for me.
If you aren't intending that revelation to have a long term impact on him, which I assumed you did, then my apologies - I must have misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
At least when I was a kid, this would have been a big deal. We only went on one field trip per year, so the child would be missing out on the only field trip. I also don't see an issue with going to far on the freeway. It takes awhile to get to most field trips out here that are outside of population centers because it takes awhile to get away from people really.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Never said you had to justify anything to me. Many here like to jump on the smallest scrap and turn it into a full steak of parenting failure. I don't know why, but I see it happen a lot here.

Teaching my kid not to dig his arse in public is a life lesson but it isn't wrought with future couch sessions with the therapist. Not all life lessons are Big Ones.
The original point of my first post was that I didn't think it should be a Big One. So I'm a bit confused, actually.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm just saying there are some policies and decisions schools may make that a parent disagrees with in principle. And when they do, a good parent speaks up and advocates for their child.

It's great you don't think 52 miles is far for 5 year old to travel on the interstate or in traffic, but that doesn't make what you think right for everyone.
If it is something you don't feel is right for your child, then don't send them. Engaging the teacher and riling up the other parents is not okay unless people are offering their services to be proactive and change the field trip, or offer to plan it next year. I get so tired of people complaining about everything. One thing worth bearing in mind is that angering the other parents and badgering the teacher is just the type of behavior that results in these types of trips being discontinued.

Moral of the story, if you don't want to send your kid, then don't. Let the others go in peace and enjoy themselves. Not every child has parents that are willing or able to take them to a pumpkin patch.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,408 times
Default Would you let your Kindergarten kid go on a field trip 52 miles away?

I wouldn't let him/her hitchhike,
but on a chaperoned trip, sure.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I don't see the big deal about going. Is it poorly thought out? Probably. But so what? They're all five. I don't see why it has to be a choice between the rushed trip with the class and the enriching trip with mom. Do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting