Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
So what? What is the big deal? A child in K should be old enough to go on a bus for a field trip whether the trip is 20 miles or 50 miles. I wouldn't have my child miss out on a fun trip because I thought it was poorly planned.

Plus-what message does it send to your child regarding what you think of his competence?

except the child isn't missing out and she is taking her kid to a local farm instead. I also don't get what this has to do with competence either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
52 miles is a long trip? One hour on the bus each way, sounds like they will be having fun to me. Maybe you should just keep your kids in the closet for the rest of their lives that way you will know exactly where they are at all times.

Obviously you didn't read the OP's thread fully .

Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
except the child isn't missing out and she is taking her kid to a local farm instead. I also don't get what this has to do with competence either.
By competence I mean the ability to do something (like take a long trip) without his parents. Young kids are not used to going places without their parents. Many parents keep very close tabs on their child when they do go somewhere. When a child goes on a class field trip they have a chance to do it with less direct supervision. Of course, there is still some supervision but there is less when a whole class goes, than when a family goes. It builds his confidence wrt being able to do things on his own. I hope that helps.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 AM

187 posts, read 442,700 times
I don't get why some of you are saying its poor planning. Maybe the closer farms weren't open/available the date the school wanted?

My son took a trip to a farm once in K, and it was a far away trip. I thought it would be nice to experience a farm that we've never been to (because of the distance). He enjoyed the trip and the long bus ride. Kids love that part the most! I was never worried because I knew he was in good hands.

Things that can happen 52 miles away can happen 10 miles away, 5 miles away..etc..

Just be glad your child has opportunities to take neat field trips.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I would probably send my child if he wanted to go. Those field trips are heavily supervised by teachers and other parents to be sure everyone is safe. The kids looove to go on field trips and ride the bus!

If you are worried about the distance ~ I would volunteer to be a chaperone. It will give you a chance to meet other kids and your son a chance to go.

Our school would assign 3-4 kids to each Mom (depending on the number of Mom's there).

Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
What they WILL be missing out on is the SOCIAL element of a field trip with their classmates, which may actually be more important than the actual destination. Instead of being able to say "Hey, I remember when I was little and my whole class went to that farm, and we did X/Y/Z and it was fun!*", the child can say "I don't remember going on a field trip."
I don't understand about the highway thing. Are the kids going to be walking on the highway? Have there been a fair number of bus crashes on that highway? Do you avoid driving on the highway when your child is in your own car? Seems like a fair amount of paranoia or helicoptering going on here. ???

What would you think of my kindergarteners field trip (with 12 other special needs kids): 6 mile ferry ride across the bay to an island, and then shuttled around the island (mostly dirt road) in the back of a pick-up truck? He had a GREAT time, and went on the same trip the next 2 years as well. Oh The Horror!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:28 AM

85 posts, read 110,752 times
I wouldn't have thought twice about it, and just let my child go. Field trips are fun, bus rides are fun at that age and to keep him home because you don't like how it was planned is just stupid, imo. Take him to a close pumpkin patch on the weekend, if you really want.

My fifth grader is going to a city 2 hours away for her fifth grade trip to go to a museum...should I keep her home because we have local museums? It's the POINT of the field trip to experience it all together.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
What's the difference how far it is? The trip is essentially the same whether the bus travels 20 miles or 50 miles.

I would let my child go.
It would be rushed and chaotic. No thank you.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
52 miles is a long trip? One hour on the bus each way, sounds like they will be having fun to me. Maybe you should just keep your kids in the closet for the rest of their lives that way you will know exactly where they are at all times.
Unfair and uncalled for.

If the trip was all day, I think OP wouldn't have an issue. I completely agree with what she is saying. It makes zero sense to travel so far for such a short trip.

They leave at 8:45, get there at 9:45 and have to leave by 11:30 to be back by 12:30. Waste of time.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
By competence I mean the ability to do something (like take a long trip) without his parents. Young kids are not used to going places without their parents. Many parents keep very close tabs on their child when they do go somewhere. When a child goes on a class field trip they have a chance to do it with less direct supervision. Of course, there is still some supervision but there is less when a whole class goes, than when a family goes. It builds his confidence wrt being able to do things on his own. I hope that helps.
One missed field trip (a poorly planned one at that) is not going to make or break the child's confidence, competence or independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting