Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,656,959 times

Advertisements

I personally don't see what the big deal is. Your child would be spending time with the class whether on the bus for the field trip or at the school. A 5 year old should be able to handle an hour each way just fine. I do think it's silly to go all that way for a two hour stay, but I guess I don't get the rationale for not letting the kid go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,852,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Thanks all for your input. I haven't heard back from the teacher on why this farm....so I will hold off on making a decision in case that place is so special they give away gold bars or something....but on the website it looks like a regular farm to me. And nothing that isn't found much closer to the school.

ps. I know it's not about a better $$ deal because this trip is costing $10 more per kid than it did in previous years...probably for the longer bus ride.

Chances are it's as you said just a bone headed decision. Also who makes the plans on where you go on field trips, because one of my sons little friends school lets the class moms and dads make the choices. And they have had some issues like this with parents picking places because they personally liked them.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:59 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,920,398 times
I got an email from the teacher..they just decided to try something new.

I'm not sending my kid. We'll go to a pumpkin farm that is local instead. She said a few other parents are uncomfortable with the journey and are driving their kids themselves...I don't feel compelled to do that. I just had a lovely conversation with my son about not necessarily doing something because everyone else is...worked out ok so far.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It wouldn't even cross my mind to not send my child on a field trip. The distance and the highway don't worry me. It would be a shame to make him miss out over principle.
But it doesn't even make sense to travel that far when they are not spending the whole day there. Eh, I'd keep him home and take him somewhere else.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:30 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,859,121 times
Quote:
My school is taking the K class on their first field trip to a pumpkin farm / petting zoo. Some genius has decided to book a place 52 miles away on a busy highway. There are a zillion farms close by - where all the previous K classes have gone. I have no idea why the choice was made to go so far...but would you let your 5 year old go? They leave at 8:45am and get back at 12:30pm. So hardly anytime there...seriously thinking of skipping this one.

Thoughts?
What's the difference how far it is? The trip is essentially the same whether the bus travels 20 miles or 50 miles.

I would let my child go.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,852,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What's the difference how far it is? The trip is essentially the same whether the bus travels 20 miles or 50 miles.

I would let my child go.

I think he issue is that it offers the same as the farms they normally go to for the whole day,and is more expensive and will only be for a shorter period of time.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I think he issue is that it offers the same as the farms they normally go to for the whole day,and is more expensive and will only be for a shorter period of time.
So what? What is the big deal? A child in K should be old enough to go on a bus for a field trip whether the trip is 20 miles or 50 miles. I wouldn't have my child miss out on a fun trip because I thought it was poorly planned.

Plus-what message does it send to your child regarding what you think of his competence?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,920,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

I would let my child go.
It's 6 miles or 52 miles. That's the same?

Anyway decision made....

Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
It's 6 miles or 52 miles. That's the same?

Anyway decision made....
Field trips are chances for a child to do something different. Get on a bus. Go far away. Have a fun day. Come back home. Find out it's ok to travel an hour without parents and everything is still ok.

It's really important for kids to feel that they are competent to do things independently. Why would you take that away from him?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 AM

525 posts, read 897,742 times
52 miles is a long trip? One hour on the bus each way, sounds like they will be having fun to me. Maybe you should just keep your kids in the closet for the rest of their lives that way you will know exactly where they are at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting