U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,457,062 times

Advertisements

I never thought the girl scout cookie sale was a hassle, I enjoy those lemon cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 PM

15,140 posts, read 16,497,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We haven't had any little girls here selling the cookies, but I'm sure they'll be out in force at the grocery store this weekend. We always buy some. My DD sold them for many years, I've been a cookie mom, worked at many booth sales myself (one time in front of a Safeway in the rain on a Sunday night).

One year, a neighbor kid was selling them door to door, and the mom asked for the money on the spot. I knew this was wrong, but I gave it to her anyway. I called the council, and they wanted to know who/where, etc, and I said I didn't want to get anyone in trouble, but perhaps a word to the wise could go out.
The girls are not supposed to ask for money upfront, but some people prefer to pay ahead here and that works fine if that is what the customer wants to do.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 PM

21,033 posts, read 21,768,049 times
I'll always buy GS Cookies. I was a GS and sold them, as was my daughter. Plus, we like them. Thin mints and Samoas mainly. I like the shortbread ones but liked them better 40 years ago. They were different. I like the peanut butter ones too (Savannah's?) the regular ones, not the chocolate covered ones. Those are the only ones we buy. I'm a sucker though; I'll buy some from someone at work and some from any neighbor girl who might come to the door and, if we run short, some at the Grocery store. I suspect my husband buys his own stash of thin mints and keeps them in his desk at work.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 PM

84,205 posts, read 97,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The girls are not supposed to ask for money upfront, but some people prefer to pay ahead here and that works fine if that is what the customer wants to do.
Key words, if that's what the customer wants to do. I did not offer to pay in advance; the girl's mom asked me to. The council told me the GS is not to ask for the money upfront. I think the mom in question just wanted to make things easier for herself.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 PM

15,676 posts, read 17,988,158 times
I would either totally ignore the emails. Or respond w/ No Thanks. And leave it at that.
And, I totally agree with you. What a bad experience she put you through. I hate getting roped into this type thing, but I also wind up buying from kids too.

Last edited by JanND; 01-25-2013 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: edited text

Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 PM

15,676 posts, read 17,988,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I never thought the girl scout cookie sale was a hassle, I enjoy those lemon cookies.
Ha Ha I'm sure the OP could forward your email address to her "pushy" friend so that you could order a few boxes, plus shipping

Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM

2,152 posts, read 5,891,181 times
One of my more "gluttonous" moments was eating an entire sleeve of Thin Mints in one sitting I do have a question, how much $$ do the girl scouts actually make on a box of cookies?

I was shocked to find out that my local Police use a "service" to call around for donations and they only get 40% or something of what the service collects. I'm sure it's different with the scouts, I was just curious.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 PM

In our area, the troop gets 68 cents a box this year, the council gets around $2.10 and the rest goes to the baker. Council money supports the camps that scouts run as well as other activities. Basically, the scouts keep about 70% of the money with the rest going to the baker.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 AM

49,618 posts, read 49,123,903 times
I bought two boxes from a woman at work whose daughter is in the GS. She came back to me and said she didn't have any more Thin Mints. I said, "What do you mean you don't have them? I just ordered them yesterday." Turns out her daughters troop ordered the cookies ahead of time based on what they thought they'd sell and then were selling them immediately. You don't wait for your order. I changed to the shortbreads, which she had, but that's the first time I've heard of a troop playing it that way.

Also, on her order form Samoas were called "Carmel De-Lites" or something.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bought two boxes from a woman at work whose daughter is in the GS. She came back to me and said she didn't have any more Thin Mints. I said, "What do you mean you don't have them? I just ordered them yesterday." Turns out her daughters troop ordered the cookies ahead of time based on what they thought they'd sell and then were selling them immediately. You don't wait for your order. I changed to the shortbreads, which she had, but that's the first time I've heard of a troop playing it that way.

Also, on her order form Samoas were called "Carmel De-Lites" or something.
There are some councils that ask troops to do this, but I haven't seen the cookies delivered early. Things have changed so much since my kids were in scouts that it is hard to keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or