U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM

21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bought two boxes from a woman at work whose daughter is in the GS. She came back to me and said she didn't have any more Thin Mints. I said, "What do you mean you don't have them? I just ordered them yesterday." Turns out her daughters troop ordered the cookies ahead of time based on what they thought they'd sell and then were selling them immediately. You don't wait for your order. I changed to the shortbreads, which she had, but that's the first time I've heard of a troop playing it that way.

Also, on her order form Samoas were called "Carmel De-Lites" or something.
What? Never heard of that. Haven't seen anyone selling here yet. And why would they change the name after all this time? People know what they are. Odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What? Never heard of that. Haven't seen anyone selling here yet. And why would they change the name after all this time? People know what they are. Odd.
It was changed quite some time ago, but maybe it didn't really changed. We moved and it is possible the council changed bakers. Other cookie names also changed. Apparently, each baker uses different names.

Trefoils are now shortbreads
Tagalongs are now Peanut Butter Patties
Do-si-dos are now Peanut Butter Sandwiches

Originally, it was different depending upon which baker was used. Little brownie bakers calls them samoas and ABC bakers calls them caramel delights. I am not sure if that is still true or not.

Apparently, there are some differences in the actual look of the cookies according to some people.

Samoas vs Caramel deLites | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM

84,965 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Come on, FW, you don't want to spend $8 to ship a bunch of cookies you didn't want in the first place? ;-)
I may have said this when this thread was active before, but. . . . I used to tell my mom in PA to just buy some cookies from the GSs out there and think that she was doing something to help my daughters in CO. This shipping cookies is nuts, IMO. In these days of computers, you'd think though that the GS could figure something out, like order some boxes from a kid in CO and someone in PA would deliver them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
Good!

I remember being a Girl Scout in the 70s/80s. I had to sell the cookies myself. My parents DID NOT help other than to give me some ideas of who to sell to. They would have died laughing if I had told them that they were supposed to sell the cookies! I believe that I started selling around 2nd grade (maybe 3rd).

I buy from a girl in my neighborhood who goes around with her mom and does the selling. I understand the safety need for the mom to be there, but the girl should be doing the work, and I rewarded her by buying 10 boxes.
These days, the scouts do encourage the kids to sell, sell, sell. It's seen as less of a learning experience for the girls and more of a fund-raiser, but not really for the individual troops. nana posted what the troop gets per box in her council; it's really not much. The councils use the money for their camps, etc, but if the troop is looking to raise funds, they do something else. At least, that was my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bought two boxes from a woman at work whose daughter is in the GS. She came back to me and said she didn't have any more Thin Mints. I said, "What do you mean you don't have them? I just ordered them yesterday." Turns out her daughters troop ordered the cookies ahead of time based on what they thought they'd sell and then were selling them immediately. You don't wait for your order. I changed to the shortbreads, which she had, but that's the first time I've heard of a troop playing it that way.

Also, on her order form Samoas were called "Carmel De-Lites" or something.
When I was a cookie mom, when we got the girls' orders, we ordered the exact amount for them, plus we had to guesstimate on booth sales. There was a lot of pressure to not have any boxes left over, hence that booth sale on a Sunday night in the rain that I referenced. Girls could also sell additional boxes after their order had been placed; one mom's garage was the "cookie cupboard" for the area and you could go there to get extras. Don't know how they're doing all that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It was changed quite some time ago, but maybe it didn't really changed. We moved and it is possible the council changed bakers. Other cookie names also changed. Apparently, each baker uses different names.

Originally, it was different depending upon which baker was used. Little brownie bakers calls them samoas and ABC bakers calls them caramel delights. I am not sure if that is still true or not.

Apparently, there are some differences in the actual look of the cookies according to some people.

I'm not sure about Do-si-do, but the other terms above are specific Girl Scout terms. Tagalongs are kids, usually younger, that have to go along on field trips, etc b/c they are the leader's kids or whatever. Trefoil is the shape of the GS pin. It's too bad (IMO) they've gotten away from these traditional names, but I suppose it helps the general public to understand better.

ETA: A little girl just showed up at my house (neighbor). The cookies were $3.50/bx, and the names were traditional. I bought four boxes, 2 Thin-mint and 2 Tags.

ETA #2: She had the cookies with her. You just buy them on the spot, no waiting. Something new to me.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-27-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
There are some councils that ask troops to do this, but I haven't seen the cookies delivered early. Things have changed so much since my kids were in scouts that it is hard to keep up.
Early this evening my neighbor's little girl rang my doorbell, and they are taking orders the traditional way. I will get my Thin Mints at the end of February!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:

Just FYI, Keebler now makes a cookie very similar to the Samoa.

The cookie names on the form for the girl whose mother works with me are different from the little girl who lives in my condo building.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,980,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Key words, if that's what the customer wants to do. I did not offer to pay in advance; the girl's mom asked me to. The council told me the GS is not to ask for the money upfront. I think the mom in question just wanted to make things easier for herself.
although council says not to ask to collect up front, they also take a deposit automatically from your troop account before you have had a chance to collect this year (at least ours do) So it's a catch 22 if you don't have a big account ( which you usually don't before cookie sales) and you have a big order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Two different bakers, so the names and types depend on your area. People still take preorders, but you can still sell them once the cookies come in. Sometimes you have to, as the troop has to buy by the dozen, so if there is a preorder of 25 shortbread, we have to buy 36, so the girls try to sell the extras.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 AM

84,965 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
although council says not to ask to collect up front, they also take a deposit automatically from your troop account before you have had a chance to collect this year (at least ours do) So it's a catch 22 if you don't have a big account ( which you usually don't before cookie sales) and you have a big order.
I don't see how that's a "Catch 22". One has nothing to do with the other. One year, we ordered some cookies from a neighbor kid we did not know, and never received them. That's another good reason for "pay on delivery".

Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
i used to work with some ladies who were always pushing the cookies until our boss got tired of it and put up a notice of no more selling your child or children's fund raising items here at work . Then just a few days ago a guy my husband works with tried pushing his daughters gs cookies on him and my husband has told them several times over we are moving cross country and we need every penny we have to move .. I wish people would think before they try pushing their kids fund raiser items on people who dont really want them or need them .

Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post

Wow, I never heard of an council taking money out of troop accounts at all. No one from the council signs on our accounts, so I don't see how they could do that.

Our cookie manager has to deposit what we owe into the council bank account.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,980,070 times
Quote:
Wow, I never heard of an council taking money out of troop accounts at all. No one from the council signs on our accounts, so I don't see how they could do that.

Our cookie manager has to deposit what we owe into the council bank account.
Its new this year for us... they had an automatic draft form you needed to have filled out in order to participate in cookie sales. 25% of your order will be automatically drafted from all the accounts about a week after we receive the cookies. So we have about one week to pick up thousands of cookies, sort them out for each girl, have parents pick them up, have the girls deliver and collect funds, have girls do one of our booth sales, have our cookie manager collect funds and reconcile and give to treasurer, have treasurer make deposit into our bank account several days before automatic draft to make sure all checks clear, and hope the amount collected in that first week (we have cookies ordered for cookie booths after that first week that will need to be paid for as well) is enough to cover that 25%. Its a lot of hoops, and I'm sure it will work out fine (or else I will have to front some cash, and get it later, but I hate comingling funds), but I certainly wouldn't want to villify anybody that is trying to make things a little easier by attempting to collect up front... they might not have the money to front, and I'm sure they are just doing the best they can, and not involved in some evil scheme that needs to be reported.

By the way, our council does sign on every one of our accounts, and is considered an account holder as well. We need to submit annual balance statements, and let them know exactly what we intend to do with any funds that we might be building up (like for a big trip 2 years from now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or