U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 PM
 
573 posts, read 654,455 times
Reputation: 414

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
Thanks nana053 for the reply. This is something I think I have purposefully tried not to give much thought too. Some days I think my 3 yr old dd is a "little off" in some slight way. Then other days I don't see it so much. I am still trying to figure out if she is just a personality thing or if something more is going on. Sometime I just ignore it or maybe I have just gotten used to it.

Would a doctor think I was crazy if I tell them that sometimes she cries a lot for really no reason (don't most 3 yr olds do that) and that she will go from crying and taking a fit to perfectly happy and laughing in 5 seconds. She will get stuck on a thought sometime and can't think or talk about anything else for 30 minutes at a time kind of repeating the same things(again is that just a 3 yr old thing?) She holds her ears when we flush the potty because its so loud. Her speech is a little behind too?
Take this quiz, it will give you a more accurate idea where your child is:

Childbrain.com - PDD assessment scale/screening questionnaire

If you are concerned, follow your gut feelings. Have her evaluated. Evaluation doesn't hurt anyone.

 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 PM
 
781 posts, read 824,649 times
Reputation: 2139
Thanks Jojo. I will check that link out. This thread also makes me worry of getting a wrong or fake diagnosis. Off to check out the link.
 
Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM
 
11 posts, read 5,873 times
Reputation: 24
First of all, I know the mother. She is fantastic mother, a wonderful friend and one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. Her son does not have any kind of autism. I think it's extremely RUDE that all of you have gotten on here and "assume" that because you see a 1 minute video out of a 24 hour day, you automatically think that there is something "wrong" with him. He is 2 years old! This is how a 2 year old acts! Does it ever occur to you that he is just a normal 2 year old!? It's sad that you get on here and "critique" their parenting styles because you don't agree with them. It's sad that you think you are licensed medical professionals and you can diagnose a child you have never met, nor spoken to, nor know NOTHING about other than a couple things you've seen in small video clips. She loves her son more than anything and everything she does is for him. (Well, "them" now, since she's had her second son.) Please stop assuming things. jojo, i'm sorry your son was diagnosed with autism, and i'm also sorry that you think you can diagnose this child from a few videos...which you shouldn't be doing anyway because you are not a doctor, nor a licensed therapist. I understand you may think you're helping, but you are not. So, until you go get your degree on this and personally get to examine this child, please stop going around telling people, even his mom, that you think he has autism. He does not!!!! Please educate yourselves. He was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes...not autism! Jeez!
 
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM
 
11 posts, read 5,873 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
haha! Okay this is a little unrelated, but i'm watching this vid for the first time. Like I said I usually gravitate toward the vids I think I can learn something from:


First Family Outing - YouTube

Well... she's got a very sedate baby who's almost void of personality so far, which seems to be what she's been wanting, soo...
Umm, last I checked, most 2 week old babies don't have much of a personality. What do you expect him to do? Clap? Coo? Talk? Walk? Tell a joke? Come on!
 
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 PM
 
573 posts, read 654,455 times
Reputation: 414
I apologize. I was wrong to assume. I do think this woman is a good mother. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a child with autism. I agree it was rude of me. But I am not the op. So please do not for a minute think that I share the opinions of the OP. In fact, I disagree whole heartedly with her. I also don't think that people should put their lives online if they are not capable of handling discussions.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,855 posts, read 1,954,900 times
Reputation: 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingteacher View Post
Umm, last I checked, most 2 week old babies don't have much of a personality. What do you expect him to do? Clap? Coo? Talk? Walk? Tell a joke? Come on!
It was a joke. Because she's been hoping for a little break from rambunctious Henry (whose been a handful since virtually day one). It's like some people are always looking for a fight around here.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,855 posts, read 1,954,900 times
Reputation: 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingteacher View Post
First of all, I know the mother. She is fantastic mother, a wonderful friend and one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. Her son does not have any kind of autism. I think it's extremely RUDE that all of you have gotten on here and "assume" that because you see a 1 minute video out of a 24 hour day, you automatically think that there is something "wrong" with him. He is 2 years old! This is how a 2 year old acts! Does it ever occur to you that he is just a normal 2 year old!? It's sad that you get on here and "critique" their parenting styles because you don't agree with them. It's sad that you think you are licensed medical professionals and you can diagnose a child you have never met, nor spoken to, nor know NOTHING about other than a couple things you've seen in small video clips. She loves her son more than anything and everything she does is for him. (Well, "them" now, since she's had her second son.) Please stop assuming things. jojo, i'm sorry your son was diagnosed with autism, and i'm also sorry that you think you can diagnose this child from a few videos...which you shouldn't be doing anyway because you are not a doctor, nor a licensed therapist. I understand you may think you're helping, but you are not. So, until you go get your degree on this and personally get to examine this child, please stop going around telling people, even his mom, that you think he has autism. He does not!!!! Please educate yourselves. He was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes...not autism! Jeez!
Hi Dancingteacher.
I've been enjoying Amy's vids a little while. If you go to my original post, you'll see that the topic eventually strayed quite a bit away from what I was originally asking.
I wanted to delete the topic altogether, but on this forum, I think it's only possible to edit or delete a post for a limited time, and it was too late. I had the vague idea, because she is such a popular YouTube mom that it may not be out of left field that someone who subscribes to her or who is a friend of hers could possibly read all the nonsense that came after my OP here. And sure enough, I guess it has happened. That's another reason I wanted to delete the topic.
I also apologize if my own opinions may have offended you, given that you know her personally. But I stand by them. Amy posts public videos of her son. She should expect some critiques.
But diagnosing this child (and even going so far to contact her and tell her... I seriously hope nobody did that!) with diseases is going way too far.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:48 AM
 
43,017 posts, read 50,477,142 times
Reputation: 28790
I'm just sort of blown away that someone posts videos of their parenting/chidren on youtube.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM
 
22,214 posts, read 13,014,885 times
Reputation: 23818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm just sort of blown away that someone posts videos of their parenting/chidren on youtube.
This! I think it is a massive invasion of the child's privacy. I cannot understand it at all. His face isn't blurred. Everyone in the community knows who he is. She's subjecting her children to public comment and ridicule. Blows me away too, Hopes.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,855 posts, read 1,954,900 times
Reputation: 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This! I think it is a massive invasion of the child's privacy. I cannot understand it at all. His face isn't blurred. Everyone in the community knows who he is. She's subjecting her children to public comment and ridicule. Blows me away too, Hopes.
No more than reality shows of any kind with children. It's not for everyone, but *shrug*...
Actually I think that applies to children appearing on TV at all. A small segment on Oprah will probably garner a child more attention forever than all Amy's vids combined, no matter how long they remain on the web.

The community already knows who he is, vids or not. And the rest of the country doesn't know them. But she should go in knowing that. And family friends? If they show up I'll apologize (once, lol) for offending them, but certainly won't apologize for my stance. After all, their friend signed up for this.

And if she shows it to Amy, well then, she can take the blame for upsetting her friend. (Even I agree this thread has gotten ridiculous.) Hey Amy, look what these people dare said on this public forum known as the world wide web where you post your public videos....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top