U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 08:58 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,100,919 times

Advertisements

My husband and I produced our own newsletters (and other publications) in the past. Today it would be impractical and cost-prohibitive to produce a "hard-copy" newsletter. (And actually mail it out to subscribers!)...I'd have to do it all online. My choices and options are gone. (Unless I want to go into the "hole" paying for high paper and printing and postage costs.) This is sad! We're all "chained" to our computers and cell phones and other gadgets today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,638,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
My husband and I produced our own newsletters (and other publications) in the past. Today it would be impractical and cost-prohibitive to produce a "hard-copy" newsletter. (And actually mail it out to subscribers!)...I'd have to do it all online. My choices and options are gone. (Unless I want to go into the "hole" paying for high paper and printing and postage costs.) This is sad! We're all "chained" to our computers and cell phones and other gadgets today!
Very well understood when it comes to a business.

But why do so many parents buy their kids everything they ask for? the Game boys, the Wii, the latest smart phones, the latest and greatest computer systems, all the newest toys the flood the maket every X-mas and the list goes on and on. You always hear about everything they have gotten, but you never hear about what they did, (Hard Work) to get it. They got it just simply because they wanted it and did nothing "for the most part" to recieve it. Almost puts one in mind of that new TV show called, "Subergatory" I think I spelled that right. Now I'm not saying that is how it is all over the country, or even in the real world for that matter. And I understand that its just a TV show, but you have to admit its getting close to it. LOL

Old 10-23-2011, 07:38 PM

11,604 posts, read 19,456,108 times
Quote:
Why is it sad? It is more cost effective and environmentally friendly to publish newsletters online than to publish them on paper. Things change. That does not mean they are sad.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:41 PM

21,038 posts, read 21,782,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post

But why do so many parents buy their kids everything they ask for? the Game boys, the Wii, the latest smart phones, the latest and greatest computer systems, all the newest toys the flood the maket every X-mas and the list goes on and on. You always hear about everything they have gotten, but you never hear about what they did, (Hard Work) to get it. They got it just simply because they wanted it and did nothing "for the most part" to recieve it. Almost puts one in mind of that new TV show called, "Subergatory" I think I spelled that right. Now I'm not saying that is how it is all over the country, or even in the real world for that matter. And I understand that its just a TV show, but you have to admit its getting close to it. LOL
Everytime you purchase something new for yourself, do you tell your friends how hard you had to work to purchase it?

I know my kids purchase 90% of all their "stuff" with money they've earned from jobs or from Christmas/Birthday gifts (they don't receive excessive amounts BTW). My son purchased more than 50% of his car (old dependable beater car). I doubt that every time he engages in conversation with people he mentions this. Don't assume.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-23-2011 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 07:41 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,736,921 times
Quote:
I was once asked why I haven't gotten one of those electronic books by some fellas I worked with. And when I closed the novel that I was reading, (John Adams) and then slammed it on the ground, "Don't tell my wife I did that",, I looked at them and asked them to do that with an electrionic book and see if it survives. There's just something about holding a book and smelling the pages that brings me back to my childhood and my Grandmother who was a wonderful old world school teacher.

And I can see where there maybe a certain level of prejudice ikn my thinking. I guess I like being back with the basics, when it comes to my personnal time and family time.
I'm an avid reader and our house is overflowing with books that seem to grow, and grow and grow. My husband has a very long commute and lives on the darned train so he is always ordering books. He ordered me a Kindle for my birthday and I'm reading my very first novel on it. I do miss my good old books but I find myself getting into the story just as much as my old fashioned book. I was joyeous one evening as I finished up a good old fashioned paperback book one evening and was anxious to read the sequal. I downloaded the sequel as I brushed my teeth and it was ready to go when I finished.. I usually read for an hour or so to get myself to sleep so that was a definite plus for my brand new Kindle. Today I tore out book reviews from our newspaper and actually may download a few very interesting books I saw.

Right now, we may start getting more books via the Kindle because frankly, we just have too many darned books in our house. With the prospect of moving in the next few years, we are trying to make the transition.

One aside--the Kindle has been a godsend for my father who is 82 and losing his eyesight. The ability to set the font is a blessing and at some point, he may need to use the audio option. He is pressuring me to buy one for my daughter for Christmas but I'm resisting a bit.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,320,470 times
DD's 7th birthday is coming up. DH & I decided to give her my old Nintendo DS for her birthday. We decided on that for several reasons.
1 is because it is cheap. All we need to do is trade in my old games and get her a few used games with our credits.
2. DD doesn't play video games very much. Even the kids systems that were given to her by grandparents or handed down from older cousins don't get used much (maybe once per month for about an hour), so I am not worried about her being attached to the thing.
3. She is doing very well in school and does a lot around the house. She cooks meals, takes care of animals, cleans, etc.
4. It is her birthday. I am not going to feel gulity for giving my child a birthday gift.

She is not spoiled. She understands the concept of money and how hard I work to make money. When she sees something she would like to have, she saves up birthday money and loose change that she finds and saves to buy it for herself.

I do know a couple of kids who get handed everything without having to think about the money behind it, but most of the kids I know have to earn extras in some way.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 PM

5,939 posts, read 6,287,339 times
Quote:

Because whenever I got something new I never wanted to sit there and talk about what I did to get it, I wanted to talk about what it DID.

Even now, when I get something cool and new I'm not going to sit there and be like look what I got by working 9 hour shifts at wal mart as a cashier....I am more likely to squeal OMG LOOK WHAT IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why is it sad? It is more cost effective and environmentally friendly to publish newsletters online than to publish them on paper. Things change. That does not mean they are sad.
It was more exciting to create "hard-copy" publications!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:

This definitely seems like a "touchy subject!" Don't you think? I'll have to watch for the TV show you mentioned. Thanks for telling me about it.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:25 AM

27,977 posts, read 19,262,289 times
Quote:
It was more exciting to create "hard-copy" publications!
You can still create PDFs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or