U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM

16,601 posts, read 12,910,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Apples and oranges.

For starters, try legally getting away with not having a car seat.

It's clear that many of you are trying to make yourselves feel better about tethering your kids like animals. Whatever works for you is fine.
Just don't be surprised that people would, you know, compare it to tethering animals, that's all.
I harness for a child isn't meant to be secured to a tree in the front yard If I saw someone doing that, I'd take issue. Walking down a crowded street, in a busy airport? Not so much.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 PM

14,236 posts, read 7,889,080 times
Quote:
Apples and oranges.

For starters, try legally getting away with not having a car seat.

It's clear that many of you are trying to make yourselves feel better about tethering your kids like animals. Whatever works for you is fine.
Just don't be surprised that people would, you know, compare it to tethering animals, that's all.
Since I don't use a leash, I have nothing to make myself feel better about.

The examples I asked you about are certainly comparable to leashes since they have animal equivalents AND are used as safety/comfort devices for children.

So, again, I will ask you:

Have you used a crib, playpen, stroller, car seat? If so, why?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 PM

20,532 posts, read 10,921,285 times
Quote:
It's clear that many of you are trying to make yourselves feel better ....
I don't see that at all. Meaning I don't see people here trying to justify their choices. Just posters saying, "they worked for me".

No deep psychological meaning. Just a tool to keep a child from running onto the train tracks.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM

426 posts, read 769,836 times
We had the monkey one for my little brother, he hated the stroller, and did not want to hold hands when he was little, he liked to explore, but after getting away from us at the zoo and getting behind the first barrier to one of the exhibits, that was it, he loved the harness, he got to be free, his hands were free and he could walk around.
Honestly i think the harness is great, the child has far more freedom. Not to mention it can be safer for the child, from 2-3 i popped my arm out of the socket 3 times, while holding my father and grandfathers hands, I had a habit of going limp, with a harness no chance of that.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM

2,744 posts, read 1,727,076 times
I don't have kids, but I have never understood why this is even a debate. When I see a parent yanking on a kid's arm and chanting "stay with me, stay with me" when all the kid wants to do is take three steps to the side...get a harness! It'll save everyone some frustration. There's nothing demeaning about it, and I would think it would be much more demeaning for a bigger kid to be denied the independence they provide versus hand holding or carrying. Not to mention a kid gets more exercise with them than riding in a stroller.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:52 AM

575 posts, read 98,896 times
Personally, whenever we had seen those monkey harnesses or leashes, we had a negative reaction. I am thrilled that we never had to go that route. My son loved being in the stroller or being carried when he was feeling the need. He wasn't much of a walker, especially in the mall when he was younger so we usually had a stroller handy just in case. I don't care what other individuals use as long as the child isn't harmed or feels shamed and parent's aren't using them because they can't be bothered with hand holding or some kind of contact with their child. We are all entitled to our personal reactions when something is foreign to us. I never saw harnesses growing up and never knew families that used them both as a child or as a parent of a young child.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:28 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,600,108 times
Ok so I used it yesterday at the airport...... Husband was coming in after flying for 18 hours and being away from us a week or so...he really wanted to see BabyGirl at the gate and the stupid cell phone lot was full, as was the lot for terminal one (where he was flying in). They are doing construction at our airport so now you have to park a couple miles away and then hop a shuttle. It's a big pain to try and get the stroller on the shuttle so we did the harness.... It actaully worked out pretty well. She let me carry her for most of it (which was hard since I also had her bag)... and when she wanted down she actually seemed somewhat comforted to hold my hand and e tethered as well......

Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM

4,459 posts, read 3,743,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Understood.

I don't think it's unreasonable for some parents to find this practice offensive, but we can discuss those reasons in another thread if you prefer.

I don't need a leash. I have arms and eyeballs.
I had twins. I didn't have enough arms and eyeballs.
I didn't use a leash because mine delighted in tangling me up in the darn things (think of puppies going around and around a tree, in opposite directions). And they mostly stayed close by, so there was no point. OTOH, if someone else finds them helpful-- and apparently a lot of people do-- I'm not about to assume my experience is the norm by which all other parenting is measured.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 AM

4,459 posts, read 3,743,298 times
Quote:

It is interesting that, back when people had large families, people did not have leashes
but
now that people have only one, or -- GASP! -- two children, they cannot survive withouth leashes.
I was the youngest of many. My grownups didn't use leashes because they used a paddle. That, and we didn't leave the yard. We were city kids, and there was no play park with gym equipment, or visits to the mall, and Disney World hadn't been invented yet.
According to Mummy, she did use one with my eldest sister, who is WWII-era. I find it hard to imagine B ever even considering wandering off, but who knows?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:16 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,600,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I was the youngest of many. My grownups didn't use leashes because they used a paddle. That, and we didn't leave the yard. We were city kids, and there was no play park with gym equipment, or visits to the mall, and Disney World hadn't been invented yet.
According to Mummy, she did use one with my eldest sister, who is WWII-era. I find it hard to imagine B ever even considering wandering off, but who knows?
My mom had us four (all two years apart) and didn't use one (or a stroller) because they used spanking, we didn't really go anyway (lived in Rural Midwest and we were grindingly poor), and the places we went (church, very small town grocery, etc) wern't very dangerous.... When I was a toddler, she would have just had my sister and been pregnant with my next sister. My father went to work in the City, mom was home all day with us completely shut off from anyone/everything. She suffered some pretty severe post-partum (undiganosed and untreated)

Both BabyGirl and I are both happier if we have at least on sort of outing a day....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.