U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2011, 12:05 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,017,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I think much depends on where you live.

But, y'know, this will surprise you, but in the 80's Trick or Treating wasn't nearly like it used to be when I grew up in the 50's & 60's. The 80's is when malls started passing out Halloween candy as a "safer" alternative to door-to-door Trick or Treating. I took my daughter to the mall once, and only once. SHE was okay with it because she didn't have the past to compare it to, but I just found it boring as hell.

So we went Trick or Treating in our neighborhood from then on.

Children of the last 2-3 generations have no idea just how much more FUN Trick or Treating was many decades ago! You could spend hours with a pillowcase going all over to strangers doors, get full-sized candy bars, and some homemade treats without fear of getting sick from them.

Ah, those were the days!
Imagine the haul that 7 children would bring in! We would bring home a full pillowcase (well, as full as our little arms could carry) and head back out with an empty one. We had Halloween candy that lasted until Easter.
Halloween was a big celebration in school - always costume parties and plenty of junk. We also had parades around the school.
Not everyone dressed in costume, but everyone enjoyed the festivities.

I've lived here in central Oregon for seven years and have not had a single trick or treater come to my door. Here they trick or treat the businesses downtown.
Last year they started "Trunk or treat" which I think is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Gee, what fun to visit someone's car trunk.

In Phoenix, AZ trick or treating was a big thing. Years and years ago I went to a grade school with a friend and her son - we went trick or treating to each classroom. It was a neat experience: All the classrooms decorated their doors and each had a costumed high school student handing out candy. The kids LOVED this and had so much fun telling their parents about the decorations on the doors.
Alas, I never got to experience this with my own son. Always wanted to suggest it, but never did.

We don't do much for Halloween anymore; without the trick or treaters it is just another night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM

9,939 posts, read 7,232,247 times
The subdivisions here have a Halloween lighting contest (they have a Christmas one as well). The kids trick or treat in the neighborhood and we have tons of kids here.

There is also a trick or treat trail put on by the Park District and one at the local mall.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting