U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2011, 06:45 PM

14,514 posts, read 8,780,694 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see a modern black doll. I know they have Addy. Maybe, a black girl from the 80s? Just a thought.

Maybe a red headed girl growing up in the 20s when suburbs were just starting to spring up?

I don't have any ideas for SN dolls or anything like that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 PM

1,759 posts, read 978,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'd like to see a modern black doll. I know they have Addy. Maybe, a black girl from the 80s? Just a thought.

Maybe a red headed girl growing up in the 20s when suburbs were just starting to spring up?

I don't have any ideas for SN dolls or anything like that.
This isn't a modern doll, but the new black doll from New Orleans, 19th century, is just gorgeous.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
They have already included a number of "friends" of the main character who have small, but interesting, sidebar stories. They could easily include epi-pens, inhalers, or psychobehavioral sidebars for a modern character. Not so much Addy or Felicity, obviously...
True!
and your last part made me LOL a bit,
"Addy/Felicity had a bout with smallpox / pleursy / scurvy / dropsy..."

Old 10-21-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
This isn't a modern doll, but the new black doll from New Orleans, 19th century, is just gorgeous.
I didn't know that. I just checked it out. I agree! Do you know, is she meant to be Creole?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I didn't know that. I just checked it out. I agree! Do you know, is she meant to be Creole?
I believe so. I do really like the storylines from the N.O. dolls.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 PM

3,064 posts, read 1,098,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
There is a recent thread on AG's Facebook page for people to submit their questions to the doll designers.

A number of people are wishing for dolls with specifics, such as
- epi-pen
- asthma inhalator
- albino doll
- Down's syndrome doll
- Girl Scout doll (to celebrate next year 100 GS anniversary)
- dark red hair instead of strawberry blonde
- Tourette's syndrome doll
- self-esteem issues
- teeth design other than the "two obvious front teeth"
- food allergies
- differing body shapes/sizes

Are these requests overkill?
Or would you love to see AG expand their doll line to include anything and everything? Where to draw the line?

(I do strongly agree with the posts that chide AG for being made in China, but that's a different thread! lol)
I'd like the dolls to return to an emphasis on teaching American History. They have recently retired Felicity and Elizabeth from the Revolutionary War Period, with no new dolls replacing this historical era. Too bad because kids enjoyed playing with the dolls and reading the books and watching the videos while learning a lot about American History. How can they leave off the Revolutionary War period?

There's an increasing emphasis on me, me, me with these dolls. Too bad.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I'd like the dolls to return to an emphasis on teaching American History. They have recently retired Felicity and Elizabeth from the Revolutionary War Period, with no new dolls replacing this historical era. Too bad because kids enjoyed playing with the dolls and reading the books and watching the videos while learning a lot about American History. How can they leave off the Revolutionary War period?

There's an increasing emphasis on me, me, me with these dolls. Too bad.
You know, I agree with this. I really loved AG's growing up. My favorite was Samantha, though I read all the other girls' books too.

I thought the whole basis of AG was learning history through a female child's eyes. Though I do get AG wanting to expand their customer base and product line. I just don't know when they switched from history to representing the modern girl.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 PM

As someone who was born in the 1970s, my reaction to Julie was "...Oh no!! I'M 'history' now???"

Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 PM

936 posts, read 809,842 times
I don't see why a line needs to be drawn. Is it possible to have too much diversity?

Ultimately it's a business and they will add what they think people will buy.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 PM

7,981 posts, read 8,034,361 times
YOu make the dolls that sale. A down syndrome doll...seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting