Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:30 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,407,718 times

Advertisements

This really honks me off:

FOXNews.com - 2 Children Die of Heat in Parked Cars in Separate Cases - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

In related news links, I've read that these parent may or may not be charged due to the fact that these were "tragic oversights" - "horrible mix-ups" - or the kids were left behind "accidentally". Someone tell me something.....how in the hell do you NOT notice a child in a car seat when you get out of your car? Do people forget about their kids that easily?? I'll bet they have no problem remembering those fancy new shoes tucked away in the trunk, or that bag of groceries in the back seat!

ARGH! What the flip is WRONG with people these days?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 08:53 AM

10,147 posts, read 11,104,779 times
Stuff like this really pi$$es me off - I don't understand how a parent can leave a child in a sweltering car. There was no mix up, they are just plain stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first thing I do, when I get out of my vehicle - is to get my kids out next.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
It happens all the time. Yes, I think people are just plain dumb. And worse, they will probably have more kids.

We have had an accident lately that is inexcusable. A woman put the two little children in the back seat without seat belts, got into the front seat, started the car and got on her cell phone. One of the little ones opened the door and got out behind the car.

Still on her cell phone, she backs out the driveway and runs over the little boy killing him.

I am sure the phone call was so important that she couldn't have handled it BEFORE backing up.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:06 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,448,999 times
Even "smart" people do stuff like this - there was a university professor who left his little girl in a hot car... with tragic results - she died holding an orange. His excuse? He was up late the night before and was "tired." Him and his wife had tried for YEARS to have this baby... it was their only child. I just don't get how someone could forget... it's like forgetting to breath.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:19 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,888,440 times
Well, when you want a 4th trimester abortion, you just wait till it gets hot out. You may be prosecuted, but if you put on a good show, you will get off with a slap.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,210,561 times
Hi, WC, we've missed you!

I know. This kind of thing just grieves my soul! I know it has seemed to me the same way--how in the world could you forget you had your baby or child in the car with you??? That has seemed just impossible to me.

Tragically, though I've read enough stories now (especially down here with the heat in the south) that I have become convinced that people actually can get so distracted that they do forget their infant was with them...until it's too late. Especially now that they want you to put the baby in the back.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:50 AM

895 posts, read 4,237,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Even "smart" people do stuff like this - there was a university professor who left his little girl in a hot car... with tragic results - she died holding an orange. His excuse? He was up late the night before and was "tired." Him and his wife had tried for YEARS to have this baby... it was their only child. I just don't get how someone could forget... it's like forgetting to breath.
That is very true. People of all walks of life are capable of doing dumb things. Personally, I get paranoid when I don't have all of my kids in the car (if one is out with someone else, etc) and I keep checking to make sure I didn't forget them or something (even though they're not there) but that's just my own paranoia. My husband forgot our baby in the car one day when we went out to eat. He dropped me and my three other children off in front of the restaurant and went to park (he would bring our baby with him so I didn't have to handle all the kids and a carrier). When he walked in, he didn't have the carrier. As soon as I said something, he turned around and walked right out. Those were the worst moments of my life. We were very lucky. My husband is a very intelligent and "together" person. He did something very dumb because he was distracted and stressed out. When we talked about it afterward, he couldn't understand how he could do something like that. Before this event, I would have been on my high horse belittling and berating these parents, but I don't feel I can throw stones at them now. You don't have to understand the whats and whys of these events. Have some compassion.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:21 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,463,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
My husband is a very intelligent and "together" person. He did something very dumb because he was distracted and stressed out. When we talked about it afterward, he couldn't understand how he could do something like that. .
Agreed that everyone gets stressed out at times and the most put together person also does dumb things. But what if you wouldnt have been there with your husband that day ? How long would it be before he would eventually realise that something or rather someone's missing ? Maybe an hour *at the most*. For children to die inside a hot car , it definitely takes a much longer time. What are the parents doing all that time ?

Padgett2, that is really a pathetic case , the one you've mentioned. The lady must have been out of her mind..

Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,448,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
That is very true. People of all walks of life are capable of doing dumb things. Personally, I get paranoid when I don't have all of my kids in the car (if one is out with someone else, etc) and I keep checking to make sure I didn't forget them or something (even though they're not there) but that's just my own paranoia. My husband forgot our baby in the car one day when we went out to eat. He dropped me and my three other children off in front of the restaurant and went to park (he would bring our baby with him so I didn't have to handle all the kids and a carrier). When he walked in, he didn't have the carrier. As soon as I said something, he turned around and walked right out. Those were the worst moments of my life. We were very lucky. My husband is a very intelligent and "together" person. He did something very dumb because he was distracted and stressed out. When we talked about it afterward, he couldn't understand how he could do something like that. Before this event, I would have been on my high horse belittling and berating these parents, but I don't feel I can throw stones at them now. You don't have to understand the whats and whys of these events. Have some compassion.
I'm not going to have compassion for morons. I have compassion for the children who die in hot cars.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,428,008 times
I'm fairly scatterbrained myself, but I just don't see how you could forget a child is in the car. The sad part about this is that they probably remembered their purse or breifcase, keys, papers etc. but forgot their kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting