U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,152,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I wonder that too. Sometimes the dirtiest places are where you'd least expect. I am so thankful for those cart wipes at the grocery store now!

I wonder what good they really do, if any. Aren't the wipes for sanitizing our hands? I so then what good are they for sanitizing the handle on the cart? I think what disinfects/sanitizes our hands doesn't necessarily do the same for objects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM

14,524 posts, read 8,829,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I actually googled it, and found both YES and NO answers! Still, I wouldn't let my kid play around sick people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I agree. You don't let kids play on the floor of a hospital or get around the patients. You don't know what they have. Some people have absolutely NO common sense.
If it were one of the ERs around here, it might happen with my kids. The wait times are often 6-8 HOURS to get seen. I can't keep the kids off the floor that long. LOL

Old 10-27-2011, 10:56 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,445,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If it were one of the ERs around here, it might happen with my kids. The wait times are often 6-8 HOURS to get seen. I can't keep the kids off the floor that long. LOL
This is off-topic, but WHY do ERs have people waiting six hours?!? That's insane! They left my dad in the ER for four hours after a major heart attack. The ER doc said, "If you don't like it you can walk out." He was on a gurney. He couldn't walk out! Once he was finally transferred to a bigger hospital, the cardiologist wanted to know names. He said another hour and my dad would be dead.

Rant over.

Yeah, I don't know what you'd do with kids for that long. There are only so many pictures to color.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
This is off-topic, but WHY do ERs have people waiting six hours?!? That's insane! They left my dad in the ER for four hours after a major heart attack. The ER doc said, "If you don't like it you can walk out." He was on a gurney. He couldn't walk out! Once he was finally transferred to a bigger hospital, the cardiologist wanted to know names. He said another hour and my dad would be dead.

Rant over.

Yeah, I don't know what you'd do with kids for that long. There are only so many pictures to color.
It's highly frustrating!!!

I'm happy your dad was eventually helped, but that is nuts that he could have died waiting!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,438,434 times
Quote:

Rant over.

Why, because people use ER's like a dr's office and go for a cough, ear infection, etc.

As for catching pneumonia, unless you are kissing that child, coughing/spitting on that child, in very close contact with that child, the chances if him catching pneumonia from you are pretty close to zero,

Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why, because people use ER's like a dr's office and go for a cough, ear infection, etc.

As for catching pneumonia, unless you are kissing that child, coughing/spitting on that child, in very close contact with that child, the chances if him catching pneumonia from you are pretty close to zero,
Many of them don't have insurance. It's the only way they get to see a doctor.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 PM

17,005 posts, read 14,354,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
I wonder what good they really do, if any. Aren't the wipes for sanitizing our hands? I so then what good are they for sanitizing the handle on the cart? I think what disinfects/sanitizes our hands doesn't necessarily do the same for objects.
They are called "cart wipes" so I believe they are for wiping off the cart. Some are even name brand "clorox wipes" which are meant for surfaces not hands. I can't think of a reason they wouldn't work for hands and objects although they might not be very gentle on the skin if that isn't the intended use.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:40 PM

I don't use any anti-bacterial things in my home. I don't use the cart wipes or the hand sanitizer at various stores and restaurants. I think they do more harm than good.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:47 PM

3,560 posts, read 3,163,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
While at the hospital as a patient , i was waiting in the hallway for a chest xray and this woman is letting her son play all around me . It would not have been a problem but I was raging with pneumonia and I simply stated "maam maybe it is not a good idea to have your son play so close to me as I have pneumonia and it is contagious ". then she replied ,"Oh you cant catch pneumonia from people that is only the flu ". Has she ever heard of mrsa ? I cannot believe that this woman she needs to educate herself on what her child could catch by playing on the floor in a hospital . Are some parents really that dumb and stupid these days ? God I fear for that little boy .
Since when "being a parent" is supposed to be associated with intelligence? ...

On average, is probably the other way around. The "Non-parent by choice" group probably has a higher IO score to flaunt.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:51 PM

7,989 posts, read 8,157,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many of them don't have insurance. It's the only way they get to see a doctor.
This is very true I had to use the er this time because I dont have any way to pay the doctor other than cash and most of the drs here dont accept payments or cash they are insurance only . the hospital bill got written off thank god . But I almost died so Im not going to die just cause I dont have any insurance . 53 % of american households dont have insurance because the household cant afford it and this is my case . I have been out of work for over a yr and a half and my husband is the only one working right now and his company expects us to pay 1/3 of our income ( and the income is not alot to begin with ) for health insurance that aint happening . Im not going to live in my car just so I can have health insurance . Im sure my household is not the only one .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting