U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,819,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many of them don't have insurance. It's the only way they get to see a doctor.
Most doctors Ive seen will take cash up front if you dont have insurance....Just saying....Paying that cash up front is often cheaper than a ER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 PM

14,429 posts, read 8,527,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Most doctors Ive seen will take cash up front if you dont have insurance....Just saying....Paying that cash up front is often cheaper than a ER
Most people without insurance don't have the cash to pay for a doctor. Just saying.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,703,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Whenever I read threads like these I always wonder what people say about me. I didn't know pneumonia was catching. No one knows everything.
all upper respiratory infections are contagious with the exception of lung ca

Old 10-29-2011, 02:06 AM

450 posts, read 668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
And a corollary:

Sick adults should stay at home. Do not go to work. Do not go shopping.
While I agree, it is just wrong that most employers would only allow a few of sick days (if that), after which you can get into all kinds of trouble... so, most people I know end up going to work sick or returning much sooner then they should...
It is not fun, either... and puts other people at risk. But this is how it is

Old 10-29-2011, 06:13 AM

27,430 posts, read 20,790,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It is getting more and more common each and every day and far more virulent as it mutates into new and more drug resistant strains. It most certainly can and is, found in the lungs, urinary tract systems.....everywhere. Many cases of "spider bites", are actually MRSA infections. If you look up Staphylococcus, you will discover that there are many, many drug resistant strains.

Never, never let your children crawl around in ERs or Dr's offices....please! MRSA is only one of the extremely dangerous drug resistant diseases your children/grandchildren can pick up there. Also, so many people are duped into thinking that it doesn't matter what you catch....you can just get an antibiotic prescribed if you contract it. Well, having to take the really powerful antibiotics, can leave you open and vulnerable to a whole new host of problems. C-diff, deafness, kidney failure, crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis....on and on. If someone is incredibly ill, they will end up in the ER....you do not want what they have. Wash, wash, wash your hands and always keep hand sanitizer gels, lotions and/or wipes in your purse. Not to make anyone paranoid, but please....be careful out there.
I agree that it's just stupid to let a small child crawl around on a floor in any public place, let alone a doctor's office or hospital. Yuck.

The overuse of antibiotics has been a problem for a long time, and I guess now we are seeing the results. I'm not sure that the overuse of these "hand sanitizers" won't do the same thing. They have them now at the entrances to office buildings. I commute by train, so I am probably exposed to a lot of germs every day, especially the part of the trip where I am packed in with the other sardine people on rapid transit. I don't get sick, though, and I don't use hand sanitizer, but I do wash my hands frequently.

When my daughter was small, there was a woman at my job who was the type to get sick at the drop of a hat, and every time my daughter was home sick from school, I wouldn't get sick--but my coworker would. She has her own kindergartener now--I wonder how she's managing her own health!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
While I agree, it is just wrong that most employers would only allow a few of sick days (if that), after which you can get into all kinds of trouble... so, most people I know end up going to work sick or returning much sooner then they should...
It is not fun, either... and puts other people at risk. But this is how it is
This is true...it's easy for people to say "just stay home", but if the choice is go to work sick or risk losing your job, people are going to drag themselves in.

At my job, if you are out more than a week (five business days), you need a note from your doctor. As long as you've got that medical backup, you're OK.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,378,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my daughter was small, there was a woman at my job who was the type to get sick at the drop of a hat, and every time my daughter was home sick from school, I wouldn't get sick--but my coworker would. She has her own kindergartener now--I wonder how she's managing her own health!
My father has a very weak immune system too. He always used to say, "If I'd been born before antibiotics, I would have died in childhood." The effects of antibiotics are very interesting to contemplate (IMO).

Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,195,044 times
Quote:
I agree that it's just stupid to let a small child crawl around on a floor in any public place, let alone a doctor's office or hospital. Yuck.

The overuse of antibiotics has been a problem for a long time, and I guess now we are seeing the results. I'm not sure that the overuse of these "hand sanitizers" won't do the same thing. They have them now at the entrances to office buildings. I commute by train, so I am probably exposed to a lot of germs every day, especially the part of the trip where I am packed in with the other sardine people on rapid transit. I don't get sick, though, and I don't use hand sanitizer, but I do wash my hands frequently.

This scares me too, the sanitizer use....I'm not going to lie. The trouble is, so many of the farm fed meats we purchase have been raised with antibiotics in the feed. One way of keeping the immune system healthy, is to cut down on our processed sugar intake. I'm not saying that antibiotics are always bad, but they need to be used responsibly. It's sad that we live in a society where, in order to survive, people can NOT stay home when sick. Stay home and get well, lose your job.

There are, however, herbs out there which have shown to be very effective against bugs. They still have to be used responsibly though, or the bugs are going to develop a resistance to them as well. Their sole purpose is to survive, and if you don't kill them all, when you go after them with "cures", they mutate and develop a resistance to the drugs/herbs.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
This scares me too, the sanitizer use....I'm not going to lie. The trouble is, so many of the farm fed meats we purchase have been raised with antibiotics in the feed. One way of keeping the immune system healthy, is to cut down on our processed sugar intake. I'm not saying that antibiotics are always bad, but they need to be used responsibly. It's sad that we live in a society where, in order to survive, people can NOT stay home when sick. Stay home and get well, lose your job.

There are, however, herbs out there which have shown to be very effective against bugs. They still have to be used responsibly though, or the bugs are going to develop a resistance to them as well. Their sole purpose is to survive, and if you don't kill them all, when you go after them with "cures", they mutate and develop a resistance to the drugs/herbs.
You are right about the sugar. I can be a candy addict. Last June I bought a book called, "This is why you are fat." I liked the title, and it looked interesting. It's all about sugar and goes into detail about all the different ways that sugar affects your body organs. It certainly made me aware of how much refined sugar I was eating, and I cut it way down. Just doing that has caused me to shed 8 pounds--no special diet or anything, just gave up my addiction.

It also made me remember that years ago I read an article in Vegetarian Times about how sugar represses your immune system for a few hours after you eat it. People who are constantly drinking sugar, such as soda or even orange juice are therefore always in a state of immune suppression.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:18 AM

14,429 posts, read 8,527,996 times
Quote:
You are right about the sugar. I can be a candy addict. Last June I bought a book called, "This is why you are fat." I liked the title, and it looked interesting. It's all about sugar and goes into detail about all the different ways that sugar affects your body organs. It certainly made me aware of how much refined sugar I was eating, and I cut it way down. Just doing that has caused me to shed 8 pounds--no special diet or anything, just gave up my addiction.

It also made me remember that years ago I read an article in Vegetarian Times about how sugar represses your immune system for a few hours after you eat it. People who are constantly drinking sugar, such as soda or even orange juice are therefore always in a state of immune suppression.
Wow! Interesting stuff! I am going to put that book on my to-read list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting