U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:21 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,216,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I lol'd very hard by the way. I'd rep you but I don't really know how to do it where you leave the comment.

When I was 17 there was this guy who was interested in me. He was a smart guy, he was only a few months younger than me and he was into the whole volunteer firefighter thing and DJ'd. Very independent and smart guy. My mom was concerned because he was always left home alone, his parents were hardly around, they worked so much, he never got into trouble though. My mom nagged and nagged what if he dies in a fire, is he marriage material, I was 17, I wasn't looking to get married, I was looking to date and have a boyfriend. He never pressured me either on anything. But she nagged and nagged about marriage material, what if he died in a fire, crap about how he never had parents around.

Fast forward to the night my mom hit me and gave me a concussion back in '10, he was the first one to pick me up and let me stay at his parents house with him, in his parents million dollar house. I don't joke, its a town just east of the town to the south of me with huge houses.
He is successful now, he was a firefighter and just went off into the Air Force and is making something of his life.

Such justice she did for me by telling me what a mistake it would be.
Ah yes.....but such is the hand of fate. What if you two would have hooked up and found yourselves totally incompatible? What if he's a closet abuser? What if, hooking up with you, would have put him on an entirely different path in life and he would have ended up dead, crippled for life, or made the choice to stay right where he was.....perhaps making nothing of his life? Stop DWELLING!

I remember early on in my relationship with my current husband, there were a few times when I wondered if I hadn't made a big mistake in leaving my first husband....what if.....what if......what if? Hubby was a fisherman at the time and we struggled like crazy, mostly financially, but when fishing was bad, he was depressed and not good to be around. Several years later, my ex severed his right arm just below his elbow in a freak accident. I heard that he and his wife were doing terribly as he is disabled and unable to work. Funny how things turn out sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 05:24 PM

10,090 posts, read 11,095,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Wow, that's interesting. I never knew that existed. Here, the oldest kids have late spring/early summer birthdays and turn 19 around graduation.
Around here a child who starts when the school district proscribes, and graduates on time will be between 17Y 9M and 18Y 9M at graduation. Of course some kids graduate a year later because their parents hold them out a year, or because they do not pass the state test (and other less common reasons).

A postgrad year is a single year of study after a student graduates from high school and before they enroll in college. It is very common in boarding schools and prep schools. It is common for athletes.

Choate Rosemary Hall: Admission » How to Apply » Overview » Postgraduate Students

In my state it students only have 4 consecutive years from the date they first begin 9th grade to compete in high school athletic contests. I do not know of any private schools that offer postgrad years here.

I would not want my child to take a postgrad year. There are many reasons why I would not want it, but keeping my young adult son out of social situations where he is in contact with underage girls only a few years younger than him is pretty high on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting