U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 AM

1,730 posts, read 2,794,761 times

Advertisements

We had tons of kids last night of all ages including a few adults. Didn't bother me a bit. Halloween is about fun for all ages and I will give out candy to anyone regardless of age. I even dressed up myself for the first time in years although I am embarassed to admit that being only 92 lbs I had to buy my costume in the childrens dept. But no worries, nothing slutty about it. In fact I didn't see one slutty costume the entire night and trust me, there were more than enough folks coming through for one to slip past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,088,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I guess it's annoying whether they're Hispanic or not... LOL... sorry, just didn't necessarily get the point of pointing out they were Hispanic. Back to the topic.
It has cultural roots going back to Central America and Day of the Dead processions, so in that sense, yeah, it's germane that they're Hispanic. Personally, as long as people make the effort wear costumes, I don't much care how old they are anymore. There are plenty of adults wheeling babies around, begging for candy-- and you know three month old Isabella isn't sucking down those KitKats.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,088,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
If everything was acceptable for kids, then what would adults have to do, watch, listen to or wear?
Newsflash, Txt: You don't have to be trashy to be an adult. Some of us-- even some of us who are not Mormon-- have lived full and rich lives having never appeared in public drunken, tarted up, or otherwise without our dignity fully intact.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,182,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It was never meant as only a child's holiday. I just got home from taking my children out trick or treating. There were hundreds of other kids out as well. So, I don't think the holiday is being overtaken by either adults or children. I have friends and relatives with little girls and NONE of them were dressed slutty. It is very possibly to find age appropriate costumes for girls and boys.

If adult women want to dress in a risque fashion, who cares? They are usually attending adult Halloween parties, anyway.

I don't get the big deal, sorry.

It was always a childrens day. It's only in recent years that adults started making it theirs too. I swear it almost seems it's rebellion, along with wanting what the children get to have, against religion of all sects making it such a big deal to dress up in a costume.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,482,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
It has cultural roots going back to Central America and Day of the Dead processions, so in that sense, yeah, it's germane that they're Hispanic. Personally, as long as people make the effort wear costumes, I don't much care how old they are anymore. There are plenty of adults wheeling babies around, begging for candy-- and you know three month old Isabella isn't sucking down those KitKats.
Excellent point...yes!! I've seen people with INFANTS, TOTing. Yeah, that baby is the one who's going to have that candy. If you're going to give a bag of candy to a child that age, you probably should have him or her removed from your custody. I'm sorry, but that's low......seriously. To use your child to get candy. Yeah, great parenting.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM

14,571 posts, read 9,018,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
It was always a childrens day. It's only in recent years that adults started making it theirs too. I swear it almost seems it's rebellion, along with wanting what the children get to have, against religion of all sects making it such a big deal to dress up in a costume.
No it was not always a children's holiday. You need to do your research.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM

70,156 posts, read 60,913,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I 100% agree. Homemade costumes that took invention and imagination were awesome. I didn't see a single one of those last night.
I do not recall any sleazy looking discount store costumes last night. Most of the costumes of "our" trick or treaters were either homemade or made from items the kids had around the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Oh, good grief! 30+ years ago, my office held Halloween parties, at people's homes, outside of work.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,883,507 times
We went to our church's trunk or treat last night. Only appropriate costumes from the congregation.

But then the daycare students arrived. Granted, it's a low-income daycare, the church views it as a mission, which may be why there are so many single moms there. But if you dress your six year old as Lady Gaga, or your 8 year old as a prom queen (with more make up than I have EVER worn in my life) with a skirt that went literally just and inch or two below her panties and your 9 year old "little girl" gets upset because I said she looked 'cute' rather than 'sexy' - and you take the time to explain it to me, then that may be a clue to why you're a 'single' mom.

We had several adults that I didn't recognize going car to car (think 30, NOT 19) not in costume, with 2 kids and 3 treat bags. I didn't get upset - that was what the tootsie rolls were for. One apiece. The kids (in costume or not, teens included) got the snickers and butterfingers.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 PM

17,133 posts, read 12,509,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We went to our church's trunk or treat last night. Only appropriate costumes from the congregation.

But then the daycare students arrived. Granted, it's a low-income daycare, the church views it as a mission, which may be why there are so many single moms there. But if you dress your six year old as Lady Gaga, or your 8 year old as a prom queen (with more make up than I have EVER worn in my life) with a skirt that went literally just and inch or two below her panties and your 9 year old "little girl" gets upset because I said she looked 'cute' rather than 'sexy' - and you take the time to explain it to me, then that may be a clue to why you're a 'single' mom.

We had several adults that I didn't recognize going car to car (think 30, NOT 19) not in costume, with 2 kids and 3 treat bags. I didn't get upset - that was what the tootsie rolls were for. One apiece. The kids (in costume or not, teens included) got the snickers and butterfingers.
How's the air way up there on that high horse?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,482,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How's the air way up there on that high horse?

My thoughts exactly. Wow....just wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting