Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:16 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I used to love Halloween. Unfortunately, in our neck of the woods, trick-or-treating has been replaced by Halloween and/or harvest carnivals or restricted to areas where the houses are close and everyone has candy. We used to go all out in our decorating, not spending a bunch of money, but making some really great air-activated & electric monsters and contraptions. Again though, we just don't put the effort into it anymore. There are few houses in our immediate area and we're the only house that is welcoming to trick-or-treaters.

Something that does tick me off though is that all of a sudden, high-schoolers and adult hispanics have (in the last few years), decided that it's okay for them to show up trick-or-treating. Really!!?? Once our kids hit 12 years old, their T.O.T. days were over. I have a problem with high-schoolers T.O.T. and an even BIGGER problem with adults doing so. Are you kidding? Usually, the little kids are done T.O.T. by 8:30 pm....that's when we pull in decorations and turn off the porch lights. After that time, all we get around here are the "older people".

Adult Hispanics? Nice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Adult Hispanics? Nice...
Yeah, the first time it happened, 3 years ago, all I could think was WTH!? I looked around for kids.....nada. I was thinking, "Oh they must be checking to see if it's safe for their little ones." Nope....no kids! Just a couple of adults, coming up for candy. It happened twice the year before and one showed up last year...but I said, "Sorry, we're out of candy".

You know though, really...I'm not a lot less appalled by that than I am the 16-18 crowd that goes around doing it. There have even been a few incidents, in our little town, where high school kids have stolen candy from some little ones. Why their parents were letting 8-10 year old kids walk around by themselves, I do not know, but still.....

My teens were not (teen is not) allowed out running around on Halloween.....unless there is a supervised function and they STAYED/STAY there. Even though I trust mine, I don't necessarily trust them all. I don't want mine in the middle of something. They can be pretty easily influenced at that age. If the pack's doing something, they're right in the middle of it, whether they're doing anything wrong or not, they're there.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
I always hear about these slutty costumes EVERY girl is wearing... but never actually see them. I'll have to keep my eyes open tonight for them...
Glad you mentioned this. I've never seen a child wearing a slutty costume in my neighborhood or my children's schools either.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yeah, the first time it happened, 3 years ago, all I could think was WTH!? I looked around for kids.....nada. I was thinking, "Oh they must be checking to see if it's safe for their little ones." Nope....no kids! Just a couple of adults, coming up for candy. It happened twice the year before and one showed up last year...but I said, "Sorry, we're out of candy".

You know though, really...I'm not a lot less appalled by that than I am the 16-18 crowd that goes around doing it. There have even been a few incidents, in our little town, where high school kids have stolen candy from some little ones. Why their parents were letting 8-10 year old kids walk around by themselves, I do not know, but still.....

My teens were not (teen is not) allowed out running around on Halloween.....unless there is a supervised function and they STAYED/STAY there. Even though I trust mine, I don't necessarily trust them all. I don't want mine in the middle of something. They can be pretty easily influenced at that age. If the pack's doing something, they're right in the middle of it, whether they're doing anything wrong or not, they're there.
I guess it's annoying whether they're Hispanic or not... LOL... sorry, just didn't necessarily get the point of pointing out they were Hispanic. Back to the topic.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
It's not adults 'stealing Halloween' when they dress their 6 year olds like whores, it's them stealing their innocence. It's sad and it's sick.

And worse, is that many do it when it isn't even Halloween.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
I guess it's annoying whether they're Hispanic or not... LOL... sorry, just didn't necessarily get the point of pointing out they were Hispanic. Back to the topic.
Merely identifying a minority group doesn't necessarily imply negative connotations. If all of the adults are from a specific group, it's definitely noteworthy as a statement of fact. Since some regions have different social issues, we'd have no idea what's happening in other regions if everyone remained strictly politically correct.

How else do you define Hispanic adults? As just adults? Well, that's not very accurate. Most of us would be confused if we heard mere "adults" were trick-or-treating. We'd want to know WHY that's happening in some regions. Otherwise we'd assume it was economic---impoverished starving people desperately needing candy to use as food. But hearing they are Hispanic makes me think it's a fun custom for adults and children alike in their culture.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
I teach at one of the few high schools in my area that still go all out on Halloween. The kids were primarily tastefully dressed (though one freshman girl was dressed as a saloon girl, wth were her parents thinking?) with a few exceptions. One of the boys was in black face (again what are parents thinking) and there was an issue with a group of kids dressed as pac-man and the ghosts running around during lunch and crashing into people. But since our principal jumps on these issues right away things never get out of hand (the first two kids had to change their clothes/costumes).

We also didn't have "parties" per say but rather halloween activies (in my class we explored how science was used centuries ago as mysticism through the use of some cool demonstrations). Nice day for the kids and the adults.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
If it hadn't been exclusively hispanic adults, I certainly would have clarified otherwise. I've never had adults trick or treat at my home before and most likely, they considered it to be acceptable behavior. Perhaps they were new in our part of the country and simply didn't know otherwise. I honestly don't know if it's acceptable in other parts of the country for hispanic adults to trick or treat. In our part of the country, or at least in our area, it is unacceptable for people, over the age of jr. high, to do so.

Yes, back to the topic...... I don't think it's wrong for adults to celebrate Halloween. In fact, there are generally quite a few adult Halloween parties and get togethers, complete with prizes for best costumes. If adults weren't "supposed" to celebrate the holiday, I don't imagine there would be such a high demand and market for adult Halloween costumes. Good grief, I think it's great for adults, who quite often don't get to cut loose and have fun with other adults, to be allowed to do so.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So rather than expect parents to supervise their children's shopping, we should just eliminate an entire class of products? I am not sure what slutty costumes you mean. But I can't think that an adult buying such a thing should be restricted. What people do in the privacy of their own homes is their own business. If they are into dress up, who are we to say they shouldn't?

If the parents did properly supervise not just the children but themselves I wouldn't want those costumes eliminated but as long as they do the I say they shouldn't exist. Who am I to say they shouldn't?!? Well who are to say they should?
That's just it they don't dress up in the privacy of their own homes. That is what's taking it away from the children. They dress up themselves with the children and the children's costumes are becoming too much like an adults. I'm not saying all parents are doing and I'm talking about the parents who do. So yes we should eliminate it...it's for children not adults. I think a parent should be more into dressing up the child not themselves

Why SHOULND'T grown ups have fun? when I grew up, did that mean I had to become boring?
No one said adults have to be boring, sheesh you don't have pout and assume it means oh I'm going to be boring then, I can't be like the kid. That's how you sound when you come out with that.

It's starting to sound like a lot of adults are jealous of their own children and other children who have fun and play time. Since they are so upset that they had to grow up and be adults and the children get to be children then they should be adult enough to know to make their own fun without needing to be like their children. I just don't see why any adult would want to go around in a Halloween costume with their child?

It's one thing to go to an adult Halloween party because we just can't grow up and have to have what our children have, but to go with your child is childish and puts them on the same level as their child. When having a Halloween party with the kids why not let them be the children, let it be their party and their special Halloween costume not the adults. If the adult wants to be slutty, sleezy then do it when the kids are asleep and don't make the kid be like that. I'm glad my parants weren't so jealous and let be our day of fun playing dress up to get candy. I am sick of adults trying to be like and compete with their children.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
It was never meant as only a child's holiday. I just got home from taking my children out trick or treating. There were hundreds of other kids out as well. So, I don't think the holiday is being overtaken by either adults or children. I have friends and relatives with little girls and NONE of them were dressed slutty. It is very possibly to find age appropriate costumes for girls and boys.

If adult women want to dress in a risque fashion, who cares? They are usually attending adult Halloween parties, anyway.

I don't get the big deal, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting