Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times

Advertisements

This year there were tons of trick or treaters out. There were no sl--ty costumes and the only costume in question was an Angry Birds costume that did not fit properly. The poor child kept tripping and could not see out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I do miss homemade Halloween costumes , it made it way more fun to answer the door for trick-or-treaters. I think 90% of the girls that came to the door last year were some sort of "disney princess". However, now that I've got a child of my own, I can totally understand the urge to just pluck a costume from the rack at Target.
I 100% agree. Homemade costumes that took invention and imagination were awesome. I didn't see a single one of those last night.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I 100% agree. Homemade costumes that took invention and imagination were awesome. I didn't see a single one of those last night.
I agree, you really don't see too many home made costumes out there anymore. When my kids were young, I always made their costumes, just as my mother had. As they got older, I shopped around at garage sales, throughout the year. We actually had a costume wardrobe, by the time my second child reached high school. Halloween was huge around here and any kids who showed up to spend Halloween with us, knew they could hit the Halloween chest and be whatever he/she wanted to be. We had a great "stage makeup" stockpile as well and had a blast dressing up.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I saw mostly store bought costumes last night. But I did see some fun, homemade ones, including my own handiwork.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I think one of my daughters was the only trick or treater to wear a hand made costume. 25 years ago I made a great pumpkin costume which all 4 of my children have enjoyed over the years. For several years my girls wore princess costumes I made out of remnants from Joanne's. How sad that children aren't taught how to sew anymore.

We had groups of teenage boys in regular clothes with pillowcases. This makes me so angry, they don't even try to have a costume.

My motto is if a "kid" is old enough to shave or wear a bra, they have no business going trick or treating.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 AM

One of the things that I guess I failed to do here in my posts, is to address the "stealing" Halloween from kids. For the record, my kids LOVED for us to get dressed up for Halloween. In fact, it was our kids who talked us into dressing up with them. There were many times, once they got older, when we'd be working our tails off, getting the house and yard finished off, when our kids would say, "Mom/Dad", aren't you going to get ready!!?? I/we can finish up! The TOTers are going to start coming soon and you're not even ready!!"

We never stole anything from them. Halloween was a very important family time for us....one of the few times of year when we did something really fun together as a group. Even as an adult, my oldest son would show up for a while, put on a costume, and join the "yard display" as a live actor, all of my older kids did it.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
One of the things that I guess I failed to do here in my posts, is to address the "stealing" Halloween from kids. For the record, my kids LOVED for us to get dressed up for Halloween. In fact, it was our kids who talked us into dressing up with them. There were many times, once they got older, when we'd be working our tails off, getting the house and yard finished off, when our kids would say, "Mom/Dad", aren't you going to get ready!!?? I/we can finish up! The TOTers are going to start coming soon and you're not even ready!!"

We never stole anything from them. Halloween was a very important family time for us....one of the few times of year when we did something really fun together as a group. Even as an adult, my oldest son would show up for a while, put on a costume, and join the "yard display" as a live actor, all of my older kids did it.
LOL I cannot tell you how many times one of those live yard displays scared the bee jusus outta my oldest son . Also my sister told me there were some adults carrying like 4 and 5 bags around last night . Im hoping that was other kids of theirs bags and not them t_O-t ing .

Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
LOL I cannot tell you how many times one of those live yard displays scared the bee jusus outta my oldest son . Also my sister told me there were some adults carrying like 4 and 5 bags around last night . Im hoping that was other kids of theirs bags and not them t_O-t ing .
We used to have parents who'd drop their kids off at the driveway, get out of the car, then stand there taking pictures of their kids getting the crap scared out of them. The parents had as much fun as the kids did and a few of the parents, after their kids were too old to TOT, would still stop by the house, just to see what we'd done "this year". It was never, ever the same, so was always completely unpredictable. Fun stuff!! LOL

As less people in our vicinity handed out candy, the kids grew up, the school and churches started having more carnivals, we saw less and less kids. Sadly, we've dismantled the dummies and don't do the animations anymore. After a couple of years of working so many hours to assemble/decorate/disassemble displays, for just a few TOTers, we decided that it was time to simply do the basics. Oh we do have some fabulous memories though. Most of the kids who got the bejeezus scared out of them are now adults with kids of their own though. LOL

We were one of probably 3 houses who went all out on Halloween. There are many, many more doing it now.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
So, I have never been in my neighborhood for Halloween. I have always gone to my parents' neighborhood. DD ended up getting sick last night so we stayed home. I got to see a different side to trick or treating. My parents live in a MUCH nicer neighborhood than I do, but I was still shocked at what I saw last night. About half of the kids weren't wearing a costume at all. A few of them just had something smudged onto their face. Another 1/4 of them just wore PJs and said they were going as a sleepy kid. We had one set of teenagers stop by, but I think they just happened to be going down the street and saw us in our driveway. They didn't even have bags. They were all dressed in costume though and were talking about a party. I easily went 15 minutes between kids stopping by too.

My parents' neighborhood is a completely different experience. It is practically like a street party. The costumes are all so good that you feel like it is one giant costume party. There are haunted houses all throughout the neighborhood. The stream of kids is so steady that very few people are actually in their houses. Most are out on the driveway because it is much easier that way.

I thought that was a typical halloween, but after last night I realize I have always been lucky with my Halloween experiences.

btw... Not one slutty costume all night. Not even in the group of teenagers.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I agree, you really don't see too many home made costumes out there anymore. When my kids were young, I always made their costumes, just as my mother had. As they got older, I shopped around at garage sales, throughout the year. We actually had a costume wardrobe, by the time my second child reached high school. Halloween was huge around here and any kids who showed up to spend Halloween with us, knew they could hit the Halloween chest and be whatever he/she wanted to be. We had a great "stage makeup" stockpile as well and had a blast dressing up.
My mom made my costume one year, when I was Snow White. I was in kindergarten and my school had a contest and the girl who won was Aunt Jemima and I came in second. I don't remember any of that, but I remember it was a fun Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting